Wire Rope for Wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
I really wish I hadn't waited until now to get some rope.
I ordered different sizes and I settled for a 7X7 2mm diameter rope with 2.5 ekowool for my DIDs.
3mm gave me some serious lag times and had to go under .8 ohm to get a decent vape (which I'd rather not).
the 2mm allows for a .8 and no noticeable lag. To my surprise, I could even close the DID fill screw (historical day for me) and get a great vape!
this is really good.

cloudcity

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2013
Boston MA
Yup, I have 7x19 in 2 of my 3 gennies and it is the best genesis vape experience I've had...

I've been using it with No topper (ribbon, .5x.1, right on the rope, used the "rolling paper method" underneath the ribbon to build a layer of carbon on the rope.) My AGI has been running with this build, headache-free for over a month.

I also don't get hotspots like I used to on mesh... I'm going to see how long this build holds up, but I'm guessing I can get a few months out of it before needing to replace the kanthal...

cmcelroy09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Columbus, OH
I gotta say I was getting pretty frustrated on getting 400 mesh to wick enough for me to chain vape. I finally came across this thread and said "hmm I'll give the genesis one last shot". So I ordered some 7x19 3/32 cable and finally received it today. Busted out the old RSST and slapped a wick and coil together and I have to say that this is simply the best genesis experience I've had!

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I'll start off with an apology, sorry but I haven't been through all 111 pages, so this might have been mentioned before.

I've now got my rope with a cotton sheath and a micro-coil on both the aga and the RSST.

First I build a micro-coil using a 2.0mm drill bit and fit it to the Gennie. Cut a length of 1.5mm SS rope to length and torch it. Then using a cotton ball, rub the end of the rope across the cotton to build up a thin layer of cotton on the rope. You don't need too much cotton on the rope, just enough so that you can't see the rope anymore. Moisten the cotton then slowly twist it into the coil. If the cotton starts to bunch up you've got too much on there.

I've even managed to do this method with a 2.0mm coil and a 2mm SS rope wick, took a few minutes to get it into the coil though.

The results for me, are even better than an ekowool sleeve. I have to do the slight tilt when the tank is less than half full. But I've never had any flooding or dry hits or shorts at all. I just take out the wick after a week, put some fresh cotton on it and dry burn the coil - job done :D

If you haven't tried it before, I'd really recommend it :thumbs:

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
So, I've got some SS rope in my AGI with an ekowool sleeve and a 1ohm coil around that but it doesn't seem to, well... work. I vape on it a couple of times then it's nothing but dry hits like it's not wicking. Is there something I'm missing?

I know I've seen messages that others have good results with this type setup but I never have. My best results came from topping the rope with slightly more than one full wrap of mesh. Maybe I kept choking the coil too tight or something.

When I did get it to wick a tiny bit with an ekowool topper, the flavor just wasn't right.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I got my first cable a few months back, and after playing around off and on, I think it is given new life to gennys for me.

I tried all the different diameters from Kidneypuncher, and 1/16th seems to work the best for me. I use a 1/16th drillbit for my coils, and about 1.5 wraps of 500 mesh around the top 1/4" or so of cable. Slides in nice and loose but even.

I prefer my coils to be 1/16th diameter, so obviously that size fits my needs best. But I also noticed, as someone else in this thread mentioned I think, that the heat-up time is much better with the 1/16th.

I first started with the 5/64th cable with a bit of mesh, and would get the tank-juice cooking that I normally got with gennies. Heat up time was also slower than mesh builds. Flavor was also a bit reduced.

With the 1/16th heatup from a cold start is a tiny bit slower than mesh of that diameter, but once even a little bit warm heat up time seems the same. Flavor is better than the 5/64th, and I get zero juice cooking. Flavor seems better than with pure mesh, but that's probably because the cable is wicking better and the coil is more saturated.

Never get any dry hits, and actually I kept flooding the deck on a nearly full tank so I plugged more holes than usual. I've always liked how a genny vapes, but for some reason I could never get the wick to keep up with me.

I tried a million different ways of rolling mesh, U-wicks, on the bias, across the bias, short wicks, long wicks, thick wicks, skinny wicks, tight wicks, loose wicks, hollow wicks, solid wicks, ox'ed wixed, non-ox'ed wicks, partially ox'ed wicks, literally every single method of building a mesh wick I've seen anywhere on the web, I've tried, and would always get a bone dry wick after 4-5 good lung pulls at 25+ watts.

With this cable I've made my self nic sick while purposefully trying to dry it out, and as long as there is wick in juice it stays wet, although it does seem to dry out faster than pure mesh if you accidentally hit it with the device tilted and the wick on top so it's totally out of the juice. With mesh it was easier to notice a change in the way the vapor felt, and know you were going dry. But with the cable it seems more like a fully saturated hit all the way up until it runs almost completely dry.

I've even had trouble dry burning because the cable seems to suck juice from everywhere and the wick never wanted to go dry. This stuff is just a dream for anyone who likes how a genny vapes, but was never satisfied with the wicking ability of mesh.

I still swear a mesh surface does something, maybe smaller droplets, because with gennys I get hit with a nicotine buzz FAST after a couple pulls, where as it's a much slower more smooth curve with other materials.

I think I still prefer the taste of cotton for most of the juice I vape, but with such excellent wicking it's really, really close. And when you add in the faster nicotine hit and tank factor of a genny (haven't got into kayfun styles yet) I feel like I'm in danger of abandoning my cotton drippers for gennys :0

If anyone is still on the fence, give gennys one last try with cable before you shut that door for good.

Last edited:

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
Just found the perfect use for SS Rope with an ekowool sleeve... In my NEW FOGGER V2! I got this thing in the mail yesterday & spent a few hours building coils & wicks before I realized the SS rope would fit. Wrapped a dual in-line coil around it all and it's vaping just the way I've always wanted with all these other tanks & setups. Not to much vapor, not to much draw... but just right ;-)

Next I want to try hollowing out the 7/7 SS rope to put it into chain vaping mode! :)

BigErn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2012
Georgia
I have finally gotten my SS rope to work on my Rocket and Caravela, where for many attempts I was popping the top coil. I may have missed it, but has anyone else experienced HEADACHES while vaping from SS MESH? I did, literally every time I vaped a "well broken-in" SS 400 mesh wick with ANY type of Kanthal wire/ribbon. I have been vaping the SS rope for a few hours now with no headache. I used to leave my SS mesh wicks on until they literally fell apart when recoiling, and I am only guessing that maybe I was inhaling dissolved SS mesh and that was the source of the headaches. I am hoping that the wire rope will continue to work well for me, because it was a rough few days to get it right. I would still like to eliminate the mesh I'm using to wrap the top portion of the rope. I have seen mentions of Ekowool amongst others. Anyone else have similar experiences?

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
I have finally gotten my SS rope to work on my Rocket and Caravela, where for many attempts I was popping the top coil. I may have missed it, but has anyone else experienced HEADACHES while vaping from SS MESH? I did, literally every time I vaped a "well broken-in" SS 400 mesh wick with ANY type of Kanthal wire/ribbon. I have been vaping the SS rope for a few hours now with no headache. I used to leave my SS mesh wicks on until they literally fell apart when recoiling, and I am only guessing that maybe I was inhaling dissolved SS mesh and that was the source of the headaches. I am hoping that the wire rope will continue to work well for me, because it was a rough few days to get it right. I would still like to eliminate the mesh I'm using to wrap the top portion of the rope. I have seen mentions of Ekowool amongst others. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I've place ekowool sleeve at the top of the SS rope but didn't like it at all. Tasted funny to me and didn't wick as well as using mesh. YMMV

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

John_2x

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
NYC
Last edited:

rcbell.N51

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Minnesota
I don't know if I'd buy from anywhere that doesn't specifically sell it for vapeing use, unless they can guarantee it isn't made with harmful materials. I don't remember for sure but I think you want to avoid galvanized steel. The info on what's safe is here on ECF somewhere (possibly even this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread