Wiring Question for Home-Built Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

apache1649

Oct 19, 2015
I am planning on building an unregulated, MOSFET'ed box. My question is, if I wire 2 LG HB6 batteries in parallel to achieve a 60A continuous discharge at 3000mAh, could I wire a single, lower-amperage battery with 3000mAh to that assembly in series to increase voltage? I've read that I need at least 5v to make the MOSFET work, which I can't achieve with the 4.2 that the batteries charge to, and I want it to be small enough to fit in my pocket. If I have to I can simply make it bigger and do 2S2P and not carry it around with me, but if 1S2P is plausible then I would rather do that. Basically I'm trying to get 3000mAh 60A with a MOSFET with 3 batteries. Any and all help/advice is much appreciated, and if any or all of what I said is just 100% purely wrong I will take no offense to being corrected on every point.

- Nick

apache1649

Oct 19, 2015
I haven't ordered one yet, but reading over electronics articles and forums it seemed that there was a 5v minimum on some, and a 10v minimum on others. That actually makes it a lot easier, because I'll just wire 3 or 4 in parallel to make 90-120A continuous output and 4500-6000mAh, right? Also, I read something about wiring 2 MOSFETs in series to reduce heat, is that something I should do? And is it safe to use a different cell wired in series with a parallel pack of cells? Just for future reference.

Thanks,
- Nick

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The mosfet in my previous post is the most popular, most used, N channel mosfet around. If you're going to use 2 mosfets, you do so in parallel (same direction, same legs soldered together, along with a single 15k (most suggested) resistor. And it's not going to do too much for you anyway unless you're going to try to go below .2 ohms, and even then it may not do much for you.

Your batteries should all be matched. Same type, same age, same usage. To do otherwise invites battery failure, and it might not be pretty!

apache1649

Oct 19, 2015
Yeah, I've seen a few places saying they don't perform as well as other batteries below 20-25 amps, but I have 3 Samsung 25Rs that I'll be using for my higher ohm builds. The HB6s are for my super sub-ohm builds, like dual nichrome staple variants. The ones I've built usually run between .05 and .09 so I haven't had a device that I can test them with. Especially considering my only mod right now is my flip, and there is no way that I'm letting that get damaged.

Ck custom mods

Unresolved Status
Nov 22, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread