Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Wisconsin vaping friends - there will be a CASAA Call to Action for your state TODAY!! Will need to contact your personal state reps and say you SUPPORT a new law which will help protect vaping from indoor smoking bans! Getting contact info for you, so stay tuned - you will need to act TODAY because of a deadline!!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This is the letter I just sent to my Senator and Representative. (I used that link on the CTA page to find my legislators and it was super easy!) I attached this CASAA report: http://www.casaa.org/files/Ecigarettes_and_Smokefree_policies(1).pdf
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Senator Holperin,

I am writing you to ask that you support the bill being introduced by Senator Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend) further clarifying that the statewide smoke-free indoor air law doesn't apply to smoke-free electronic cigarettes (ecigarettes.)

Wisconsin's smoke-free law was passed based upon accepted evidence that cigarette smoke poses a threat to the health of bystanders. As electronic cigarettes do not emit smoke, they pose none of the health risks imposed by secondhand smoke.

Although the current WI smoke-free workplace law doesn't ban the use of smoke-free electronic cigarettes, several organizations that oppose any usage of tobacco or nicotine have attempted to ban the use of e-cigarettes in other states by inaccurately claiming that using an e-cigarette is "smoking" and inaccurately claiming that the water vaper mist emitted by e-cigarettes is “smoke.” That is why Senator Grothman's bill further clarifies that the current WI smoke-free law doesn't ban the usage of e-cigarettes and why I encourage your support for this legislation.

I am 44 years old and had been a pack-a-day smoker for over 25 years. I have tried many times to quit, both cold turkey and using pharmaceutical nicotine cessation products. I've quit for months at a time, especially when I was pregnant, but I always started smoking again eventually. My husband was also a long-time smoker.

In July of 2009, we purchased electronic cigarettes. Even though we were not highly motivated to quit smoking, the birth of our youngest daughter and the new state smoking laws encouraged us to give them a try. We have now been smoke-free for over 2 1/2 years! I found immediately that I no longer wanted to smoke traditional cigarettes and quitting traditional cigarettes was extremely easy and painless. I introduced my brother, sister-in-law and mother-in-law to e-cigarettes and now they have all been smoke-free for 2 years. we all breathe better, no longer have "smoker's cough" and feel overall improved health and stamina. Unfortunately, e-cigarettes do not seem to appeal to younger adult smokers. My 20-year-old niece and her fiance found them to be too high maintenance and costly to start up and continue to smoke traditional cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are easily distinguishable from traditional cigarettes, as many models do not look like traditional cigarettes. My device is black, with no light at the tip and looks more like a pen light. There is no smoke, no ash, no embers, no offensive odor, no side stream smoke from the tip and no butts. The pleasant, non-tobacco flavors available were what helped me no longer crave traditional cigarettes. As with many other adult e-cigarette users, I use liquids flavored with coffee or fruit flavoring. I once tried a traditional cigarette after using the e-cigarette for a few months and it tasted especially foul - something that didn't happen before when quitting with traditional methods. I cannot imagine ever enjoying the taste of smoking again as long as I have my e-cigarette. The only side effect I have experienced is dry mouth, which is a common effect easily handled with drinking plenty of water. I truly believe these devices are the miracle smokers and non-smokers alike have been hoping for and millions of lives will be saved as smokers switch to this reduced harm alternative. I believe so strongly in them that it has made me an activist for the first time in my 44 years.

There is ample scientific evidence and scientific opinion (please see the attached report by the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association), as well as the testimony of hundreds of thousands of real-world users, to support electronic cigarettes as reasonably safe and effective; and there has been no evidence showing e-cigarettes pose a public health risk for users, bystanders or youth.

Once again, please support Senator Grothman's bill to clarify that WI's smoke-free law doesn't ban the usage of smokefree e-cigarettes.

Sincerely,
Kristin Noll-Marsh
[Address and phone numbers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread