Wisconsin Status

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by Scottbee, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Scottbee

Scottbee Vaping Master ECF Veteran

As most of you Wisconsinites know, a "smoking ban" will be put into effect in July of next year. This will effect your ability to smoke in businesses including bars and restaurants.

A co-worked of min EMAIL'ed our state officials to ensure that this would have no effect on those of us who partook in the joys of PV's. This is the response from the Lieutenant Governor:

You are correct in your assumption that the smoking ban will not apply to electronic cigarettes. In order for the smoking ban to apply, the smoking product must contain tobacco.

For your reference, here is the statutory definition of smoking (from Wis 101.123(1)(h) (intro.)):

"Smoking" means burning or holding, or inhaling or exhaling smoke from, any of the following items containing tobacco:

1. A lighted cigar.
    2. A lighted cigarette.
    3. A lighted pipe.
    4. Any other lighted smoking equipment.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Truly yours,

Barbara Lawton
    Lieutenant Governor

I plan on carrying a printed copy of that in my wallet.

2. Sad Society

Sad Society Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's Awesome. Thats a lot better than what been going on here in CA.

3. woodslady1

woodslady1 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us, Scott. I live near Wausau and I, too, will be printing this out and carrying it with me at all times.

4. aschmidy

aschmidy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks Scott! I live in the Tomah area and I will be carrying this, too. This is great! Is this our same Lieutenant Governor that had the DUI in the State Vehicle? Gotta Love Wisconsin.

5. woodslady1

I believe you are right on that one, aschmidy! :p

6. yknotagain

yknotagain Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

No, that was Peg Lautenschlager, not Barb Lawton.

Controversy

In February 2004, Lautenschlager made national headlines after pleading guilty to drunk driving in Dodge County, about an hour away from Madison. A Dodge County sheriff's deputy reported to the scene to find her state-owned vehicle in the ditch, and her unharmed inside. Her preliminary breathalizer test at the scene showed that her blood alcohol level was 0.12, 50% above the legal limit of 0.08. Lautenschlager said that she had fallen asleep at the wheel, and had consumed only two glasses of wine earlier that evening. She was arrested, and later released to her husband. She refused a blood test, which is standard for a DUI stop in Wisconsin. (Dodge County Case Number 2004TR001348)

A state Ethics Board investigated Lautenschlager's case and ruled that some use of the state car for personal use exceeded state-allowed limits. Lautenschlager reimbursed some of the costs and paid a fine of $784. Her driver's license was also revoked for a year.

7. Backslash

Backslash Senior Member ECF Veteran

Doh! Soon gone are the days of driving over to Hudson for a smoke and a beer at the bar 8-o

Oh wait... I don't smoke anymore! :D

8. mizuhi

mizuhi Full Member

:D
    Best news from our state in a very long time!

9. Kellbell

Kellbell Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Great info. Thanks for posting!

10. woodslady1

Ahh, yknot...you are very right...it was Peg Lautenschlager...my bad! Still.......:D

11. MaDPimP

MaDPimP Senior Member ECF Veteran

Ive never been prouder to be a wisconsinite :)

I especially like how its not "oh dear god! An Ecig?!?! your going to be inhaling anti-freeze in our precious smoke free businesses!! not on our watch!"

I too will be printing this out thanks for the update Scottbee

12. Crankyfuzz

Crankyfuzz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I wonder now that it has been brought to their attention if they will not make an ecig ban as well.

13. kristin

kristin Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

That's good news! I just hope SmokeFree Wisconsin doesn't start campaigning against PVs once the fight over smoking is over here! They are being duped along with other organizations:
    SmokeFree Wisconsin: E-cigarettes: the latest ploy by Big Tobacco to hook kids

http://smokefreewisconsin.blogspot.com/2009/07/fda-tests-indicate-that-e-cigarettes.html

I posted a comment, let's see if it gets approved:
    Hey, We're in Antigo! Howdy neighbor! :D

14. kristin

kristin Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

I'm hoping pleading with them vs. yelling at them will have some kind of impact!

15. Trashman

Trashman Senior Member ECF Veteran

Wow, we got something right. Now back to the table on the reciprocity with MN.

16. OutWest

OutWest Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Wisconsin seems to be very vape-friendly. There was even a vendor selling ecig kits at the state fair, there. And, I openly vaped in the main vendor bldg at the fair every day without any issue from the fair management or the public (aside from two other vapers spotting me, that is :) )

17. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Do we put shades on our LED's?? Can't be lit, in more ways that one!!
    Scottbee, that was a nice breath of fresh air, THANKS! Got mine printed, will have it laminated and stick it up on my visor, and just smile when I look at it.

18. woodslady1

Hi Kristin! We lived in Antigo for 10 years!!! Small world here at ECF. We go back there frequently as I still have a brother who lives there, plus, I miss that area, dang it all! 8-o

Outwest, you are correct about this being a vape-friendly state. Other than the occasional curiosity from smokers wondering what I'm using, I never get hassled using my pv in public. Seems everyone is happy that it is what it is and, on the whole, they all basically commend me for quitting analogs. Anyone who knew my analog habit cannot believe that I dropped it so easily with the aid of these wonderful devices and, hopefully, I have helped many find their way to a cleaner lifestyle! :)

19. Scottbee

Kristin: I also posted educational and politically correct (diplomatic even!) comments on both blogs. Like you, I'll see if they actually get published.

20. Scottbee

If you look at the SmokeFree WI blogs, you'll see that the headlines read that e-cigs are a ploy by Big Tobacco to get kids hooked on cigarettes... !!!

How ill-informed and moronic can they be? If anything, Big Tobacco hates PV's!

SMokeFree appears to have some unthinking zealots in their ranks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.