Wood Mods - New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
I have a XL3 and 8 inches box elder burl (brown) to make another one. 8 inches is also enough to make a matching cone and tip....not that I am trying to tempt you or anything :)

OK. I'm calling dibs. I like the look of the cone, but, I'm undecided. The cone fits a standard cart, Is that correct? We've kind of settled on using tanks or the Ego Clearomizer. The cone wouldn't work for either, correct? A matching drip tip would certainly be nice though. Let me know if I'm visualizing this wrong.

BTW, beautiful work and love the styling. I look at the vast majority of wood mods out there and the box shape just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

taterbugg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2011
Lansing, MI
currently it all looks like it is sold. I am assuming you are talking about pieces like #FRS1F on Bad Dogs Burl Source - Fly Reel Seats
These pieces are also 1.25" wide which is only big enough for a Go-go. As I do not have this wood in stock I could email burlsource to see if he has any. If he does it would be a pre-order to make it. Would you like me to send him a email?

Yes, that's the wood. Does it only come in 1.25? Or could burlsource have larger pieces? I was actually thinking of an xl3.

TechMan

Feb 2, 2011
Queens NY
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I may have some curly maple laying around and if not I can order it. I have not seen curly maple stabilized. Stabilized wood is a good idea for the drip tips to prevent swelling if moisture gets past the CA finish. I would be happy to make a curly maple mod but it would be a pre-order.

Great! I'll talk to Eric about it.

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
Ooh, Foggy, just think of how pretty that'll be with your Phiniac tank! I've got my heart set on an 18650 redwood burl indulgence... don't know if they're on the site yet, but boy, txtumbleweed got the first one, and that just sets my heart to patter. Its got a matching cone and driptip. lol That box elder has lovely burling, too! Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll end up available one of these days.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!:evil:

I'm sure they will find a redwood burl when you're ready to buy rachel.:)

Be sure to read this thread if you have questions about ordering or prepaying. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/discountvapers/286867-ordering-wood-mods-please-read.html

Thanks! I'd missed that. PM sent to Eric with about a million questions.:laugh:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
rofl... Yup, I'm in the gathering moola stage now, but I'm sure Lewis will have something incredible when I'm ready to rock and roll. And I don't mind so much waiting for a quality item. As much as I was coveting a blown glass tank, that definitely took a backburner to the wooded indulgence. I'll still grab one as soon as I can, but the wood mod... that's become an obsession. lol Plus, I use resurrectors most often, so the cone will work fine for me. ;)

BTW, next time I do a custom design on a pv skin, Im definitely gonna try Lewis's method of whateveritscalled crazy glue on the finish. I don't have the tools he uses, alas, but classwife showed me a tutorial that shows me how to do it with a finger of a glove, and very fine grit sandpaper. Won't come out nearly as nice as his professional finish, but its gotta beat the gloppy clear lacquer I was using.

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
OK. I'm calling dibs. I like the look of the cone, but, I'm undecided. The cone fits a standard cart, Is that correct? We've kind of settled on using tanks or the Ego Clearomizer. The cone wouldn't work for either, correct? A matching drip tip would certainly be nice though. Let me know if I'm visualizing this wrong.

BTW, beautiful work and love the styling. I look at the vast majority of wood mods out there and the box shape just doesn't cut it.
Glad you like them!
The normal cone I make is drilled out 7/16" This fits a fluxomizer ce2. I am actually not to familiar with all of the different cartos out there and they keep changing. The Go-go cones I drill out 1/2" to fit the GGDCC. I can probably make a cone that will come up to the bottom of a tank although I have not tried this yet. I could also make 2 matching cones for the same device, one for the tank and one for the cartos. This way you have options :)

Last edited:

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Please let me know what my options are for the brown box elder burl and if I need to do anything to prepay etc. I do want to discuss it before you start if possible.
I am happy to discuss how and what you would like me to make. Eric handles all of the financial stuff. pre-ordering puts you ahead of what I make for general sale. It also makes it so your piece of wood isn't used for something else.

Hi Lewis,

Is the brown box elder burl stabilized? I seem to spill as much juice as I vape.:facepalm:
Yes it is stabilized, and I spill juice too :)

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Also just so everyone knows if I don't get to your questions right away it is because I am probably working on the lathe. In some cases it may take me a day or two to post. I just don't want anyone to think I am ignoring them.
If I don't answer your question and I have posted it is because I missed it. :facepalm:
If this happens please repost the question or pm so I am aware that I missed it.

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Yes, that's the wood. Does it only come in 1.25? Or could burlsource have larger pieces? I was actually thinking of an xl3.

I got a reply from burlsource
"Hello Lewis, Unfortunately I have no green anything at the moment. I will get some done, but nothing available now. Sorry about that. Rob"
I would expect at least a few months for them to be available, but it could be more or less.

taterbugg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2011
Lansing, MI
I got a reply from burlsource
"Hello Lewis, Unfortunately I have no green anything at the moment. I will get some done, but nothing available now. Sorry about that. Rob"
I would expect at least a few months for them to be available, but it could be more or less.

Ok Lewis, thanks for checking, I appreciate it. I'll keep a lookout, or check back with you in the future. :)

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Could a custom order be made from a specific wood I found from a different burl blank source?
15203_248_2.jpg

Looks like they have a good stock of the appropriately sized stabilized blanks.

Last edited:

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Yes the wood can come from any source. It doesn't really matter to me. I am sure the final bill would be a little higher due to the extra shipping cost of just a single piece of wood.

Here is a list of the required size needed.
Tube, Cone and Tip
Indulgence - 1 1/2 x 6
XL3 - 1 3/8 x 6
XL3 Mini - 1 3/8 x 5
E-power and GoGo - 1 1/4 x 5 1/2

Tube and Cone
Indulgence 1 1/2 x 5 1/2
XL3, (tube and cone) 1 3/8 x 5 1/4
XL3 Mini, (tube and cone) 1 3/8 x 4 1/4
E-power and GoGo (tube and cone) 1 1/4 x 5

Tube
Indulgence 1 1/2 x 3 3/8
XL3 - 1 3/8 x 3 3/8
XL3 mini - 1 3/8 x 2 3/8

The only source I would not recommend for stabilized wood is Ebay. People try to stabilize wood at home which doesn't work well and turns the wood to junk. Some of these people sell this wood on ebay.

If the wood is not stabilized it needs to be dry. If I receive wood that is not dry I will not turn it. This will result in you waiting until the wood is dry enough to turn. This can be months. Stabilized is always ready to use.

The main requirements hinge around the drip tips as they match the cone and battery tube.
I would highly recommend using stabilized wood as this prevents swelling.
Wood species that I will not make drip tips out of because of safety reasons.

Avodire irritant, nose bleeds, internal bleeding, asthma
Cedar, Australian Red irritant, asthma, violent headache, giddiness, bronchitis, stomach cramps, NPC (rare)
Cedar, Western Red irritant, sensitizer, asthma, nervous system effects, NPC (rare)
Greenheart sensitizer, wheezing, splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders
Jacareuba irritant, fainting, insomnia, kidney damage
Makore irritant, nausea, headache, giddiness, nervous system and blood effects
Mansonia irritant, sensitizer, nausea, sneezing, headaches, nosebleeds, splinters go septic, asthma, giddiness, cardiac disorders
Milky Mangrove sap is poisonous, causes irritation to eyes and/or temporary blindness, headache, burning of throat, blistering of skin
Missanda irritant, headache, giddiness, nausea, disorders of bowels and stomach
Mulga(Acacia aneura) irritant, headache, nausea, wood contains a virulent poisonous principle used for spear heads by aboriginals
Opepe irritant, sensitizer, nervous system effects
Poison Walnut bark irritating to skin, dust may cause asthma, nausea, giddiness, sap is toxic and corrosive
Sassafras sensitizer, nausea, respiratory, direct toxin, NPC (rare)
Wenge irritant, sensitizer, splinters go septic, nervous system effects

Exposure is from the wood dust and oil. When these woods are stabilized I doubt there would be any issues. On top of that they are sealed in CA. But just the thought of someone getting sick from one of my mods turns my stomach. I want everyone to enjoy their mod and not wonder why they don't feel well. I really wish sassafras was not on the list I love that wood.

Everyone should also know that any wood can cause a allergic reaction to a very very small percentage of people. I listed the bad ones from what I have read. If you are exposed to the wood dust or oil and happen to be in the very very small percentage you may have symptoms such as rash, runny nose, congestion and sneezing. With wood that is sealed and stabilized you are not exposed to the wood, but I feel you should be aware anyways.

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Here is also the wood I have in inventory. It is the actual list I use to keep track of it all so it should be up to date at all times. Wood Inventroy - Gentry Woodturning Note: The prices are just what I pay for the wood and are only one of may factors in the final price.

Also later I plan on posting up every mod that I have made. I hope this will help people to see what different types of wood look like once turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread