Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I like the oring on your fire button. Nice mods!

Ditto! Thought of doing that as well as some of mine constantly lock.. think the button wobbles a little and moves as I press it in and release.

Now I gota try that!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Oh and jc okie... tell the twin that mine is doing perfectly fine now! Totally spot on to what I was expecting and has a nice orange glow since waxing it with howards today! Totally happy with it.. smooth and I can see all the sexy grain now and has its natrual orange glow and 0 dried out wood to be seen. :)

Cleaning and waxing the other 4 for the new group pictures now.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, I love the look of the Caribbean Rosewood door with the cherry. The light streak just matches the orange color of the cherry perfectly. After reading your endeavors lately in getting yours up to your liking, I bought some very fine steel wool and smoothed mine down a little. Now it's glass smooth and feels so nice. I have an orange drip tip on it now. Looks good.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have the number of rhe woodvil.. let me look it up. He listed it as # 301.
[HASHTAG]#301[/HASHTAG] is indeed cherry dark jatoba. It started out as a poly finish, which the original owner didn't really like the feel of, so he had it sanded. He was going to oil-finish it himself, but before he got to doing that, he traded it to someone else. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I love the woodvils. Every side is different and interesting.

2015-09-13 21.55.21.jpg
2015-09-13 21.56.14.jpg
2015-09-13 21.57.17.jpg

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
[HASHTAG]#301[/HASHTAG] is indeed cherry dark jatoba. It started out as a poly finish, which the original owner didn't really like the feel of, so he had it sanded. He was going to oil-finish it himself, but before he got to doing that, he traded it to someone else. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Nice.. all makes sense now. So how does one go about sanding the poly off.. most likely something I'd like to do in the future to the zebra and oak.

Did this person ;) remove the 510 connection to sand it or did rob do it?

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Sun pics since it's a must and first time I've got a chance to with the wedding and rainy weekend.. damn time to cut the grass! By weekly 2.5+ hour workout here I come!

Can't wait to see this puppy darken up to a nice cherry/reddish color years from now! The color should be close to the ends color when thst happends as long as it don't dry out and get trashed from too much sun.

Please excuse the dirty drip tip! Was clean yesterday but damn did I vape her like a train last night haha.

2015-09-14 11.36.57.jpg
2015-09-14 11.38.25.jpg
2015-09-14 11.39.03.jpg

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Heh I need a caribbean rosewood reo next then! Hehe. 5 is not enough when your celebrating 6 years come the 22nd.
6 years of no smoking???????? Wow, that's so fantastic!!!!! Jup ya need about 10 more woodvils for that milestone!! lol

Totally spot on to what I was expecting and has a nice orange glow since waxing it with howards today! Totally happy with it.. smooth and I can see all the sexy grain now and has its natrual orange glow and 0 dried out wood to be seen. :)
so glad you have it the way you want it now, and it's just gorgeous!!!

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
....have any quality pics. of it??

I have an older woodvil in jatoba unsealed finish. I use tung oil, a light coat over night and wipe off in the morning and a steel wool rub down about once a year. Only time I'd ever think about sanding is if it was scratched.

Reactions: Debadoo

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I have an older woodvil in jatoba unsealed finish. I use tung oil, a light coat over night and wipe off in the morning and a steel wool rub down about once a year. Only time I'd ever think about sanding is if it was scratched.

Does tung oil last longer or thst much better then using howards wax or mineral oil??

Seems to be dry already again.. basicly not even 2 days later.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
6 years of no smoking???????? Wow, that's so fantastic!!!!! Jup ya need about 10 more woodvils for that milestone!! lol

so glad you have it the way you want it now, and it's just gorgeous!!!

Thanks! Crazy how time flys..

Would love to own more woods though I know rob will be doing another batch in the future with solid ss 510s.. so there always be more.

Of course he may release the rest of the past run he's holding.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Does tung oil last longer or thst much better then using howards wax or mineral oil??

Seems to be dry already again.. basicly not even 2 days later.

Wood treated with tung oil has been found and dated back 1000s of years. It will penetrate the hardest of woods, and prevent cracking.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Reading up on wood finishes and thinking about putting a shellac on the cherry.

Nice choice if you're looking for a sealed finish. However, shellac is dissolved in alcohol, therefore, no cleaning the mod parts with alcohol!! I mean, you can, just be careful not to spill on the finish.

If you want a simple application, the de-waxed shellac by Zinsser's is just fine, HD or Lowe's carries it. It is a clear shellac.

If you want to add some tint to the cherry, I'd order some dewaxed shellac flakes and mix your own. Most tinted shellacs in-store contain a wax. I don't exactly remember why, but during my woodworking adventures I did deduce that using de-waxed shellac is better for many reasons.

Mixing your own shellac is very simple. Choose your flakes based on level of tint/darkness you want. Order flakes. Weight you flakes based on the amount of shellac you need to make. Soak flakes in denatured alcohol & stir until dissolved. Apply. re-apply as needed. Light coats. If you mess up, wipe with alcohol and re-apply.
I always ordered my flakes from The Shellac Shack. They even have a sample pack I believe with different shades of flakes. They also have plenty of info to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread