Woodvil Sale Day Thread - May 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Yes, I went to the Ace Hardware store. They had the other kind of Howard's...but didn't offer to order the SunShield for me. I didn't think to ask. I will probably get it pretty quick, since my friend has the prime account though. She lives almost a half hour away though. I have to go by her place before long anyway.

Kelly, is your woodvil the poly-coated or the raw wood? from others steering me in the right direction, the Howard's is fine for the poly-coated, inside n out. Rob ( redeyedancer )advised me to use Hope's 100% tung oil on any raw woods.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I SERIOUSLY need to go to work now....

Put me down for #71 Zebra Wenge, and [HASHTAG]#337[/HASHTAG] Cherry Blood Wood.
damn, I always buy more than I need when it comes to Woodvils.

71_zebra_wenge_555b56dba9eea_zps3aaqpxql.jpg

337_cherry_blood_555e37f204991_zpsxdz7zxef.jpg

Last edited:

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Better grab an extra logbook.... LMAO! Congratulations!
I SERIOUSLY need to go to work now....

Put me down for #71 Zebra Wenge, and [HASHTAG]#337[/HASHTAG] Cherry Blood Wood.
damn, I always buy more than I need when it comes to Woodvils.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Kelly, is your woodvil the poly-coated or the raw wood? from others steering me in the right direction, the Howard's is fine for the poly-coated, inside n out. Rob ( redeyedancer )advised me to use Hope's 100% tung oil on any raw woods.
Mine is just the regular raw wood, with oil. It is not poly coated.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
With a LOTTA help from my friends i present to you:

And I got an RM2 brass LP to top it off!

GeezoPizzo...I'm all excited and didn't even want another wood:confused:

Kay if that's anything like the curly oak I got last sale I think you're gonna love it. Those "hatchy marks" in the grain aren't quite what they look like in the photos. They pick up and sorta reflect light, giving a somewhat 3-d effect. I spent hours twisting and turning mine around just looking at the grain pattern.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Mine is just the regular raw wood, with oil. It is not poly coated.
Keep in mind that Rob will already have oiled them well...probably several times. You're not going to have to do anything but fire it up right out of the box. And if you use Tung oil, use it on the outside, but maybe not the inside. It has a really strong smell and it can even make your juice seem to taste like Tung oil. I use mineral oil (cheap...from Walmart) or Howard's on the insides of all of them.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Kay if that's anything like the curly oak I got last sale I think you're gonna love it. Those "hatchy marks" in the grain aren't quite what they look like in the photos. They pick up and sorta reflect light, giving a somewhat 3-d effect. I spent hours twisting and turning mine around just looking at the grain pattern.

Seriously?? Crap!

Reactions: oldbroad

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I thought that's what this thread was for! :) :) :)
So what's the consensus, keep using this thread or start a separate one? :pop:

Keep using this one. A secondary thread just for the sake of the spreadsheet.. pinch ....? No?

You can put me down for [HASHTAG]#239[/HASHTAG] yellow/purple heart if you have not done so already. Please and thank you.

damselle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
New England
Already started doing that for my own edification, I'm just not sure folks want their picks advertised. So far, at least, I'm only putting in what I've gleaned from public posts.

(The problem with making it editable by everyone is that some kid will stumble across it and delete the whole thing.) I'd be glad to be the "keeper of the 2015 Woodvil list" though, and anyone that wants it recorded for posterity could just PM me.

Oh, got already.cool.

Anyone have any ideas what wood this is?? Can look at the video rob posted on the site as well..

I just know I'll be asked from everyone thst sees it and I don't want to seem stupid and say no idea!

Looks like maybe red mallee

I personally would not use mineral oil on the exterior. Just me....
'Natural Oils' for wood and Mineral Oil, like you would by at a pharmacy, are two different things. I believe Rob once used small amounts (like on a Q-tip) of mineral oil on the Interior of a Woodvil, simply because it has no odor. But I really do not see a need to put Mineral Oil on the exterior. Just give it a good coat of Howard's before you go to bed, and wipe off the excess and buff out in the morning. Do that once a month and your Woodvil should be just fine.

I like coconut oil.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
i got 329. Sure was tempted to go back in for another one or two. But I used will power and stopped at one. Plus just spent a bunch $$$ on sprinkler system repair that us Texans sure in the heck do not need to use any time soon :(
Yeah....we Okies are getting way more than our fair share of rain up here, too. They're saying May 2015 has been the wettest May in recorded Oklahoma history.....and we still have another whole week to go. I'm so so so so sick of it! We plan our mowing very strategically. The rain makes it grow, then the rain keeps us from mowing. My yard is beginning to look like a jungle. Then when we finally can mow, it takes two sweeps (high/low) to get it all.

One good thing.....I haven't needed my A/C yet this year.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Hey puffer thanks for the list. Please add mine [HASHTAG]#231[/HASHTAG]

231_red_mallee_c_555baa01f0b74.jpg

Oh man, I'm so jealous of this. I was drooling for days over this one and had login troubles right off the bat. Enjoy this one on the other side of the world for all those, like me, who I'm sure this was their first pick. Good snag!:thumb:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Seriously?? Crap!

Is that a good"crap" or a bad "crap"? Oak can really be rich, deep, gorgeous wood.

Good "crap" as far as I'm concerned.

In the photos it looks like skid marks from a bad sanding job or something. It's part of the oak grain pattern, somewhat mysterious in that respect, and goes deep into the grain. So when you get it in hand those "hatchy marks" have a deep, almost 3-d look to them. Sure wasn't expecting it to look as fascinating as it does when I got mine because when photographed it looks more like defects than anything else.

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.

Rick...that"s exactly what i was hoping for!!!

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
So... Anybody know when the resin sale is going down? And how it will go - will it be a mad dash like the woodies were?

If it weren't for the resin's around the corner I woulda picked up at least one more woodvil. I understand their price point will be about the same, right?

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Keep in mind that Rob will already have oiled them well...probably several times. You're not going to have to do anything but fire it up right out of the box. And if you use Tung oil, use it on the outside, but maybe not the inside. It has a really strong smell and it can even make your juice seem to taste like Tung oil. I use mineral oil (cheap...from Walmart) or Howard's on the insides of all of them.

Thanks for clarifying that Jan,,,, as i forgot to say that the tung oil is only for the outside..and that it's not necesssary to do the tung oil for awhile, so just sit back and enjoy vaping on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread