Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
new tip sweet Kay sent me :)
maulc0K.jpg
Oh yay!!! Can't believe that finally showed up! I was sure that thing was a goner. So pretty!!!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Welp, guess I've earned official hoople status...
Threw all my mods (2 woodys and a mini) into my bike bag and headed downtown to see some fireworks, and I swear I locked the buttons. Nope.
Exibit A:
View attachment 468923

Exibit B (my new Stumpy):
View attachment 468924

I hadn't even been drinking! Well, I am now. Thank goodness I have another woodvil. I guess Bella Bolo will be taking a trip to ME. She really needs a spa day after tonight :cry:

Yowsa! Must have been a very stressful few moments when you took it out of the bag.

I feel for you, but at least...

* You're safe.
* The mod is prolly 100% restorable (and will have stories to tell).
* It didn't go nuclear - these things can take some beating and hold up.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Yowsa! Must have been a very stressful few moments when you took it out of the bag.

I feel for you, but at least...

* You're safe.
* The mod is prolly 100% restorable (and will have stories to tell).
* It didn't go nuclear - these things can take some beating and hold up.
Yeah, lucky for sure. It must've been going off for a while. Melted a hole in my bag (which is all the gunk you see on the mod & stumpy- melted nylon. If anyone has any ideas how to get that off of stainless steel, I'm all ears)
The battery was hot when I took it out, but doesn't seem to be damaged- not using it of course. I would just try to fix it myself- sand down the nasty stuff on top & re-oil, but there is something serious melted all the way into the 510. So, put her in the mail to Rob this morning. Was pretty bummed to have lost a $100 atty after only having it a few days. But, i am so so SO extremely grateful for how well made the woodvils are, and especially for Rob's amazing customer service.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Was oiling up the 3 woods.. was all done with the last propped up on my ohm meter soaking. Went to close the lid on the howards bottle on the table and stupidly wasn't holding the bottle and it fell over and knocked the most precious wood on the floor.. the (whatever the wood is called.. boygina?) Mod shown in your wood mantiance video, shot right to the floor and the brass button flew off and the oak wood as well and the door from the zebra! I freaked out!

Could not find a single ding, scratch,scuff or crack.. thought for sure there would be a crack. Crazy.

Then just last night my hand just let go of the oak mod while reading on the phone and it landed on the same hard floor.. and not a mark!

Haha.. nuts that it even happend but it shows you there awesome!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Was oiling up the 3 woods.. was all done with the last propped up on my ohm meter soaking. Went to close the lid on the howards bottle on the table and stupidly wasn't holding the bottle and it fell over and knocked the most precious wood on the floor.. the (whatever the wood is called.. boygina?) Mod shown in your wood mantiance video, shot right to the floor and the brass button flew off and the oak wood as well and the door from the zebra! I freaked out!

Could not find a single ding, scratch,scuff or crack.. thought for sure there would be a crack. Crazy.

Then just last night my hand just let go of the oak mod while reading on the phone and it landed on the same hard floor.. and not a mark!

Glad everything's ok. It's why my Woodvils rarely leave my cave, which has a carpeted floor.

canoeist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Piedmont, SC
www.mcleanweb.org

See..........you should have sold it to me :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Guys how and when do I know that my woodvil needs re-oiling

Rob mentioned once a month for oil based woods and once every 2 months on just the insides for the poly coat woods.

I'd say if it's a humid season or live in a moist humid area do it more often.

Edit: I've done mine 4 times already cause I love them hehe. Put it on with a brush on the insides wait 10-20 mins and take off with a clean rag and qtip for the hard to reach areas.. I love the look after oiling up my bare wood mod.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
With what? I just don't what is best to use an a weekly basis.

This one you should be able to find in any hardware store.

Amazon.com: Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, 16-Ounce: Home Improvement

This one seems like you can only find online and the one most want to use since it will help against the sun from darkin ing or fading your wood.

Amazon.com: Howard SWAX16 SunShield Outdoor Furniture Wax with UV Protection, 16-Ounce: Home Improvement

I still need to order that myself along with the deoxit gold brush version for the gold contacts.

For the inside of the mod you can just use regular mineral oil.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
YeP.........I need that deoxit gold too, thanks for the info.

I have 2 of the pen versions and what I've been doing is to dab a bunch on a tiny peice of paper so it pools and then put it between the contacts and press in the button to close the contact on the paper to squeeze it on the contacts.

I figure a paper towel would absorb too much so I use paper.

Should hold me over till I get the brush version

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
What steam said is good, and from reading what Rob has said, and others who know a lot about em, I don't think you want to do anything on a weekly basis. You can literally drown them in good intentions if you do it too much. Pretty sure Rob said once a month for a few months, then maybe every couple months if it's not real humid where you are.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I don't have the Howard's Sun Shield. I just use the Feed N Wax on the outside surfaces. I use mineral oil on the insides, which I apply with a make up brush I swiped from Ms Rule's make up box.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I bought a cheap painters brush at the hardware store when I picked up the mineral oil from ace hardware.. I think it was like .45 cents hehe . Works great on the insides.

Then when I'm all done wiping it out I'll pull out the 99% isopropyl alcohol and dab some on a paper towel and fold the towel at that spot and loop it around the tube connection to clean that real good of any oil and also smash the towel between the button contact spot to clean thst as well as the other contacts.. then re lube the contacts with deoxit gold and slap the buttle/tube back in and it's time to vape it down! Haha

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't even take the tube off when I oil the inside. I just remove the bottle. The little make up brush I have gets in all the little nooks and crannies. I usually don't have to wipe much oil back out. I leave it set, and the wood soaks most of it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread