Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Got them both from Low Country Mountain Man - our very own TS! I don't rave about nothing - the pics don't do justice. The QUALITY of this work is unbelievable. The button cover for instance...looks like it is part of the mod itself, PERFECTLY fit, feels nice and smooth and crafted to perfection. The driptip is amazingly comfortable.

He's got a subforum in the modder section but he sells via his website. Dunno if I'm allowed to link but if you Google it or go find his forum it will link you.

Jif there are maple button covers available on site right now :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Better pic
20150721_144008.jpg

When I vape this I feel like gnomes are guarding me :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
1 comment, 1 question:

First - my Cocobolo has a "taste". I waited a while to determine if it was the build, or the atty, or what, but there is unquestionably a distinct difference vaping the same flavor in the same atty between my oiled cocobolo and my other Reos. Maybe some effect of the scent of the wood affecting my flavor sensation or something, but it's there. I don't MIND it - it's just interesting. I don't get any difference from my other woodvil, which is poly/Jatoba body.

Second - both Woodvils, my bottle slides up. Not so on my older Grand, it's the new connection that allows it to slide more easily. I've snipped a peice off an old carto condom and tucked it under the bottle, so it's held up and doesn't rattle. Anyone else get "hanging bottle" and what do you do about it?

Train... yep, don't rule out your olfactory maybe picking up enough scent to impart a sense of taste to your vaping. As for the wood itself, some genus-species of Fabaceae are among the worlds woods with the highest level of natural toxicities. Cocobolo (Dalbergia) is one of them that naturally produces retusin (a flavoroid), and sealing the wood thoroughly is the only way to counter it. Back when I made custom animal calls I built up 20 layers of the appropriate finish to seal all my woods since they would be mouth blown. I even developed two of my own finishes I made from 100% pure ingredients to cover all species of wood (oily and non oily). For a Woodvil that would be way overkill since it does not go in your mouth and the liquid delivery system can be called a closed system by not coming in contact with the wood. But building up a finish to seal the wood properly should take the flavoroid and odor out of the equation on a Cocobolo Woodvil. It's an oily wood, so an appropriate over the counter finish would be an evaporative finish like shellac or nitrocellulose lacquer. Reactive finishes like polyurethane are best suited for non oily woods.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Thanks - but...I really like the feel of the wood as-is, and the flavor difference is not BAD, it's just a difference. Makes vaping a great wood mod even more special, so I don't want to seal it!
Cool to know the details though!

Train... yep, don't rule out your olfactory maybe picking up enough scent to impart a sense of taste to your vaping. As for the wood itself, some genus-species of Fabaceae are among the worlds woods with the highest level of natural toxicities. Cocobolo (Dalbergia) is one of them that naturally produces retusin (a flavoroid), and sealing the wood thoroughly is the only way to counter it. Back when I made custom animal calls I built up 20 layers of the appropriate finish to seal all my woods since they would be mouth blown. I even developed two of my own finishes I made from 100% pure ingredients to cover all species of wood (oily and non oily). For a Woodvil that would be way overkill since it does not go in your mouth and the liquid delivery system can be called a closed system by not coming in contact with the wood. But building up a finish to seal the wood properly should take the flavoroid and odor out of the equation on a Cocobolo Woodvil. It's an oily wood, so an appropriate over the counter finish would be an evaporative finish like shellac or nitrocellulose lacquer. Reactive finishes like polyurethane are best suited for non oily woods.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Well... The last Cocobolo has been sold! I've had my eye on one since the sale started. I saw today Rob was down to the last one. I had to grab it up. [HASHTAG]#222[/HASHTAG] is on it's way to a loving home :wub:
Wahooooooo Nice!!

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
For everyone who liked my news of snagging the last Cocobolo. I wasn't going to share this, but since I lack couth, here goes! My husband and I have been separated for sometime. Eariler today he called and informed me to expect divorce papers by the end of the week. After some online research I found he's engaged to a woman nicknamed "Giggles" that's right Reonauts "Giggles!" So I went and ordered the last Cocobolo as a divorce gift for myself! You people will understand....I traded up! :w00t:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
For everyone who liked my news of snagging the last Cocobolo. I wasn't going to share this, but since I lack couth, here goes! My husband and I have been separated for sometime. Eariler today he called and informed me to expect divorce papers by the end of the week. After some online research I found he's engaged to a woman nicknamed "Giggles" that's right Reonauts "Giggles!" So I went and ordered the last Cocobolo as a divorce gift for myself! You people will understand....I traded up! :w00t:
Sounds to me like you got the last giggle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread