Workhorse - Stuck Button when Shorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Yeah, a shorted coil is a bad thing all by itself. :p But I found it odd that when it happened, the button on my Workhorse stuck in the depressed state. Wasn't difficult to unstick it - just twisted the top tube, but nonetheless, just weird. Hands-down, this is the nicest tail switch I have, so I'm curious -- any speculation on why that would occur? No matter how hard I try to push the button in a funny way, it just won't misbehave with no battery in place, or any other normal condition.

I also note that a Samsung INR18650 will supply sufficient current to really heat up the switch area quickly. Possibly, it's the heat making something stick?

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Sounds like the short made the switch basicly spot weld itself in place where it was making contact to the tube?

Dude you take the switch off the tube and inspect the sides of the button and the inside of the tube? If there's a black mark then that's where it basicly spot welded. I'd clean that off

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Well, I went to the site, to find instructions for taking the switch apart. Seems the site is acting goofy. I was surprised to see the Workhorse listed as still available. But when I tried to add to cart, I got a blank page. Ooooh, I'd love to get another one. But Workhorse Instructions is a blank page too.

Maybe I can find switch instructions on YouTube.

ETA: Found the instructions. Once I remembered lefty loosey, righty tighty was a piece of cake. No visible arcing spots. Fiddling with that Nova a bit more, it seems it was losing resistance as it heated up, so that'd account for not switching into a dead short right off.

Cleaned it all with Deox-It too! :D

p.s. I suspect the heat was coming from the battery itself, now I think on it. Yikes! Probably caused just a tiny bit of expansion on the switch button. I suspect I've reduced the battery lifespan a bit. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinowitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread