Working with twisted wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
It's my first time using twisted wire. I saw how to make it on YouTube so I did after some research. I realized right away after getting the wires in place that it seems different than single strand wire when trying to get an inside out glow. If anyone can give me some helpful tips on how to properly work with the twisted coil once I have them clamped I would greatly appreciate it.

Kikofarakiko

Feb 13, 2017
Can the coils be spaced?
Don't know, mine only gave good glow when pinched
33615d0b91ca0faa2727db4066140e3b.jpg
f96cf80d4fb054ae387e86407d78f257.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X9 dual sim using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Thanks. I'm assuming if I pinch too hard it would mess up the twists in the wire though when not making them spaced
generally with spaced coils, you don't need to pulse. They usually glow evenly right off the bat. I also think your wicks last a little longer. They don't burn in the middle.

Reactions: MMW and Eskie

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
generally with spaced coils, you don't need to pulse. They usually glow evenly right off the bat. I also think your wicks last a little longer. They don't burn in the middle.
So then is there any better/easier way to set up the twisted coils as far as spaced and not spaced or is it just personal preference?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
So then is there any better/easier way to set up the twisted coils as far as spaced and not spaced or is it just personal preference?
personal preference. You can wrap it like a regular contact coil and with it still on the bit, pull on the last wrap while holding on to the first until all the wraps are separated. Then push them back together. They will naturally spring back apart a little bit. Presto, spaced coil. I generally add a few extra wraps and then pull them off after spacing so they are all even and neat. It's easier then it sounds...youtube making a spaced coil...certainly there's a million vids on it.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Well I tried the bit of clapton wire that came with one of my tanks recently (have not done fancy wires before). I wrapped a nice spaced coil and installed it. It came out right in the ballpark of what I like ohms wise. I did have to fiddle a bit with the spacing on each loop to get it to glow nicely inside out. That could be inexperience with spaced coils causing the wraps to not be evenly spaced though.

SPeaking of clapton. Where can I BUY clapton wire and what size do I nab? I usually am putting my coils in subtanks, IPV4 or various RDAs. I am really digging this clapton coil.

I tend to vape at around .5-.7 ohms

Reactions: Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Well I tried the bit of clapton wire that came with one of my tanks recently (have not done fancy wires before). I wrapped a nice spaced coil and installed it. It came out right in the ballpark of what I like ohms wise. I did have to fiddle a bit with the spacing on each loop to get it to glow nicely inside out. That could be inexperience with spaced coils causing the wraps to not be evenly spaced though.

SPeaking of clapton. Where can I BUY clapton wire and what size do I nab? I usually am putting my coils in subtanks, IPV4 or various RDAs. I am really digging this clapton coil.

I tend to vape at around .5-.7 ohms
claptons tend to have a few internal shorts that need to be worked out by pulsing...especially the ones that come with attys. As far as where to buy them, maybe Lightning Vapes? I actually have no idea where to get good ones as I make my own. .5-.7 ohm....you probably want a 28 wrapped with 36. Maybe even a 26 wrapped in a 36.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
claptons tend to have a few internal shorts that need to be worked out by pulsing...especially the ones that come with attys. As far as where to buy them, maybe Lightning Vapes? I actually have no idea where to get good ones as I make my own. .5-.7 ohm....you probably want a 28 wrapped with 36. Maybe even a 26 wrapped in a 36.
Thanks much I will look into it.

If I ever found a power drill that my Tiny Arthritic hands could hold onto stably enough to be safe I would make my own Clapton wires. It really does not look that hard. I just haven't found a drill I feel safe with. :(

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Thanks much I will look into it.

If I ever found a power drill that my Tiny Arthritic hands could hold onto stably enough to be safe I would make my own Clapton wires. It really does not look that hard. I just haven't found a drill I feel safe with. :(
I use a regular cordless drill, a small hobby vise that attaches with a suction cup and a small screw eye in the chuck of the drill. An old gutted out evod coil head and some beadalon spool tamers make it a piece of cake. For your needs, maybe the daedelus coil making kit? It's a small, 18650 powered "drill" thats not much bigger than a mod thats too big.o_O
DIY Daedalus Clapton Wire Tool
I haven't used one but I hear they are pretty good.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I use a regular cordless drill, a small hobby vise that attaches with a suction cup and a small screw eye in the chuck of the drill. An old gutted out evod coil head and some beadalon spool tamers make it a piece of cake. For your needs, maybe the daedelus coil making kit? It's a small, 18650 powered "drill" thats not much bigger than a mod thats too big.o_O
hmmmmm I wonder if I could figure out how to make the tiny penlike extension tool I have for fine work with a dremmel do the job.

Edit I just looked at a video on that thing you suggested it is now on my wishlist! Fasttech has them cheap.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
hmmmmm I wonder if I could figure out how to make the tiny penlike extension tool I have for fine work with a dremmel do the job.
just a guess...I think a dremel would make it pretty tough, unless you could start it out really slow. My dremel only has fast and extremely fast.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I followed this method and my wire came out flawless. A drill has to be better though. But if you can't get your hands on one in the moment this be somewhat annoying but it works.

that'll work great for twisted wire. Claptons are a different story.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I followed this method and my wire came out flawless. A drill has to be better though. But if you can't get your hands on one in the moment this be somewhat annoying but it works.

that looks like a simply way if one has normal hands. With Arthritis I don't want to think about the painkillers needed afterwards ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread