Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Watched couple of reviews & pretty sure I'll have it ordered in less than a week! Love the deck & airflow. On pre-order on most sites, hoping one of my preferred sites has it soon. Will go into daily rotation with my Engine Nano's! Right up my vape alley!

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I've got 2 in the mail to me now. I ordered the black ones. I'll post my thoughts on it this weekend when I have some time to buy them and use them. Currently have 12 UD Bellus in rotation and just searching a modern dedicated single coil RTA that fits my restricted airflow requirements ;)

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Received them in today. Build quality is nice; everything came apart easily enough. Airflow can be restricted to a MTL and is firm enough to stay in place. I'm into more of a loose MTL, but the true test is throat hit which I won't know until I get them built this weekend.

Looking forward to building these.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I just got it built and running with a 1.07 ohm 27g kanthal round wire and wicked with my usual rayon. The airflow is smooth, the flavor is phenomenal! The driptip is a bit too wide for my liking, but it does need a delrin type driptip since gets warm around the top due to smal size and proximity of the coil.

I enjoy a loose MTL and this delivers. A soft throat hit, however, but the intense, saturated flavor makes up for it. Running it currently at 16 watts. Just been chain vaping it for 10 minutes and the juice level is dropping already, but it's not how I normally vape but I always tend to hit it hard when testing it. Normal, daily use will be the big test to see if it's a guzzler or not.

So far (10 minutes in), and it's a winner just for the flavor alone. But it has a lot going for it.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
With nearly a full day under my belt, a second Serpent SMM built and vaping smoothly, I stand quite impressed. I vaped the first tank nearly dry within a few hours, but I mostly chain-vaped it. No dry hits, no issues with wicking. I use rayon and thinned out the ends as per normal with rayon and there was neither over-wicking or under-wicking.

The first RTA was re-filled and has been sitting the past 8 hours with no seepage or leaks. The second tank working flawlessly. Nic hit is closer to a RDA than any other RTA's I've used; I could actualy go down to 12 instead of my usual 18 with this RTA without issue.

Even filling this to the brim, the liquid level that is sen disappears quickly, but there are a few lower levels that hide liquid, so while it look empty, there is still enough to keep going. The nice design of the top cap (inlaid channels) means you can fill the tank to the brim without issue. edited to add: okay, filing to brim did cause some seepage from the airflow after sitting, so you still need to see a little glass when filling -- my bad.

After a full days use, I'm happy with my investment.

Last edited:

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I'm also a huge fan of the Bellus, seeing you have 12 Belli @jefsview : how does it compare to the Bellus?

Fewer parts ;)

Aside from the size and the number of parts, the Bellus delivers a warmer vape with more turbulent airflow than Serpent SMM. Because of the "stacked" airflow (2 holes), you get a lot more intake, cooling the vapor down; the chamber is also larger than the Bellus although the tank is squatter. The extra air does bring out a more saturated flavor (heavy, dense) but sacrifices heat.

The deck is easy to build on, and larger than the Bellus so you're not confined with 2.5 diameter simple round wire builds if you're so inclined. Liquid consumption still seems to be greater with the Serpent SMM when running with similar builds and airflow adjustment but it might just be that I'm still hitting it harder (just checked, and the Bellus has a 5ml tank, so that accounts for some of it).

The machining is nicer on the Serpent SMM, less parts to lose and the wicking (at least with rayon) is more forgiving; it took several months for me to nail the Bellus wicking and had flooding often at the beginning. Once I nailed it, I really loved the tank hence why I was still buying new ones into this year; tried several other RTAs, but nothing worked for me except the Bellus. The Serpent SMM is heir apparent to the throne, with a smoother airflow and punchy flavor, less parts and better machining, although you sacrifice a 1ml capacity.

I won't be rushing out to replace all of my Bellus tanks, but the Serpent SMM is a worthy replacement/upgrade if I do. All of my Bellus tanks are running fine with their original glass and O-rings and single coil adapters; not bad for a year and a half old tanks.

WOTOFO and Matt did a great job on this!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Got mine yesterday. Love the deck!!! Getting little bit of flooding, was lazy & used provided wick. Thinking I thinned it out a bit too much. When I get home will rewick with my cotton. As far as flavor - only has a slight edge over Engine Nano. That being said, I haven't taken the time to play will coil placement. Little higher/lower may make a difference as it did with Nano. Already enjoy using SMM so no regrets!

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
I know I am a little late to the party but I wanted to chime in with my opinion of this RTA.

I don't have an extensive knowledge on many tanks like most of you guys. I started with the Kanger SubTank mini, Serpent mini and tried the Innokin Axiom.

A few weeks ago I started looking around the net for info on a possible new tank and watched Matts two videos on the SSM and decided to take the leap.

I am enjoying this RTA a lot so far. I am running it with a single strand .5 ohm 26ga SS316L in TC on a DNA75 and it is a great vape. Flavor is better than the mini by a long shot. I think it's because the wick stays more wet but I don't know. This is a thirsty little tank!

I am happy with it. :)

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
I know I am a little late to the party but I wanted to chime in with my opinion of this RTA.

I don't have an extensive knowledge on many tanks like most of you guys. I started with the Kanger SubTank mini, Serpent mini and tried the Innokin Axiom.

A few weeks ago I started looking around the net for info on a possible new tank and watched Matts two videos on the SSM and decided to take the leap.

I am enjoying this RTA a lot so far. I am running it with a single strand .5 ohm 26ga SS316L in TC on a DNA75 and it is a great vape. Flavor is better than the mini by a long shot. I think it's because the wick stays more wet but I don't know. This is a thirsty little tank!

I am happy with it. :)

how high do you place the coils?
i'm getting muted flavor out of this RTA, current build is 24ga 3mm ID Kanthal. any advice would be appreciated!

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
how high do you place the coils?
i'm getting muted flavor out of this RTA, current build is 24ga 3mm ID Kanthal. any advice would be appreciated!

I'm not expert at this but this is what I have been doing...

I position the coil in the center of the build area, just above the deck. Like maybe 1.5mm above it. I make the wick nice and tight in the coil and thin the ends out quite a bit.

I know most of the reviewers are saying to cut the wicks where they just barely hang below the wick holes but I have been letting mine hang down past the hole pretty far. They almost touch the bottom of the well. But it's wicking nice this way for me.

Are you used to vaping a RDA? The SMM has real good flavor but it's a tank and it can't really compare to a good dripped like the Goon or something.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not expert at this but this is what I have been doing...

I position the coil in the center of the build area, just above the deck. Like maybe 1.5mm above it. I make the wick nice and tight in the coil and thin the ends out quite a bit.

I know most of the reviewers are saying to cut the wicks where they just barely hang below the wick holes but I have been letting mine hang down past the hole pretty far. They almost touch the bottom of the well. But it's wicking nice this way for me.

Are you used to vaping a RDA? The SMM has real good flavor but it's a tank and it can't really compare to a good dripped like the Goon or something.

thanks for the insight!
I position my coil so the top airflow holes are hitting smack dab to the center of my coil (3mm ID), flavor is very muted. Tried higher than that, same result. I haven't tried to position it lower though..

Yes, my daily driver is a Recoil RDA, i'm not expecting some "OMG FLAVOR" out of the SMM but so far im getting better flavor from my other tanks (Kylin, Engine Nano, Serpent Mini).

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
thanks for the insight!
I position my coil so the top airflow holes are hitting smack dab to the center of my coil (3mm ID), flavor is very muted. Tried higher than that, same result. I haven't tried to position it lower though..

Yes, my daily driver is a Recoil RDA, i'm not expecting some "OMG FLAVOR" out of the SMM but so far im getting better flavor from my other tanks (Kylin, Engine Nano, Serpent Mini).

Try lowering the coil just a little bit maybe. Are you using a spaced coil?

I build with 26ga SS316L at .5ohm (3mm) and run everything in TC.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread