Would somebody please explain what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Results: Using an e-cigarette for 5 min led to an immediate decrease in Feno within the experimental group by 2.14 ppb (P = .005) but not in the control group (P = .859). Total respiratory impedance at 5 Hz in the experimental group was found to also increase by 0.033 kPa/(L/s) (P < .001), and flow respiratory resistance at 5 Hz, 10 Hz, and 20 Hz also statistically increased. Regression analyses controlling for baseline measurements indicated a statistically significant decrease in Feno and an increase in impedance by 0.04 kPa/(L/s) (P = .003), respiratory resistance at 5 Hz by 0.04 kPa/(L/s) (P = .003), at 10 Hz by 0.034 kPa/(L/s) (P = .008), at 20 Hz by 0.043 kPa/(L/s) (P = .007), and overall peripheral airway resistance (β, 0.042 kPa/[L/s]; P = .024), after using an e-cigarette.

broken link in case you want to read the whole thing: http:// journal.publications. chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1187047

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
It's just saying that vaping causes airway resistance. I'd like to see what it would be for a cigarette, but honestly I won't be looking it up. They are trying to show that there is a negative result to our respiratory system from vaping as opposed to breathing "laboratory" air. Now if they did a study to show real world air and it's pollutants that would probably show some resistance as well.

Interestingly Fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) can give a quantitative measure of airway inflammation in that it is increased if there is inflammation and a decrease when none in present. If the FeNO is decreased in the vaperer's output and not the non-vaperer's output that shows, to me, that the pg must be doing it's job in absorbing fluid. It's odd that there would be an increase of resistance when the FeNO is decreased though, perplexing. One would think without any inflammation and further reduction of bronchial wall size, an increased bronchial airway space would give a greater airflow, less restriction. Maybe I'm just over thinking this.

A statement from the conclusion, :"We must state, however, that although the differences within our study are of statistical significance, the clinical changes may be too small to be of major clinical importance."

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
It's just saying that vaping causes airway resistance. I'd like to see what it would be for a cigarette, but honestly I won't be looking it up. They are trying to show that there is a negative result to our respiratory system from vaping as opposed to breathing "laboratory" air. Now if they did a study to show real world air and it's pollutants that would probably show some resistance as well.

Yeah, I got that much, but I don't have the scientific background to figure out if the differences between the e-cig group and the control group are major, minor, or just how significant they are.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Here's comments by a doctor involved in researching smoking and e-cigarettes:....

Clinical studies, acute effects of lung function, a study from a Greek research group, found that some parameters of airway resistance were elevated after use of electronic cigarette, and nitric oxide was also elevated after electronic cigarette use. They did not do any similar study with cigarette smoke to show us what’s going on and make the comparison. We know, and a lot of lung physicians will tell you, that short-term mechanical irritation may be the cause for some short-term elevation in pulmonary resistance, and we are not sure if this means that there may be any health-related issues in the long-term. We know from data from surveys that at the initiation of the e-cigarette use, users report some cough as an initial symptom, but in general they feel much better afterwards.

And here's the link for his comments on other studies also....

http://vaping.com/science/e-cigarette-summit-dr.-konstantinos-farsalinos

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
They were minor differences.

Thank you. I am going to conclude that the ANTZ who cite this study do so to further their agenda irrespective of the fact that it doesn't actually support their agenda. They have elevated intellectual dishonesty to an art form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread