Would you go the extra $ and get a ProVari ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let's see. The ProVari are around $180. You can get a Vamo v5 for $35. So, I can murder off 4 Vamos and still have one working before I get to the cost of the ProVari. Furthermore, the Vamo does variable wattage. The ProVari is just variable voltage. We've seen a ton of variable wattage APVs come out in the last year. ProVari's answer? New color schemes. This year, the DNA20s and DNA30s have been released. Meanwhile, ProVari had released new colors. Technology everywhere else had been marching along nicely - Except with the ProVari.
If the feature set of those devices are a game changer for you, then maybe a Provari isn't right for you. The Provari attracts customers per word of mouth of satisfied owners. That many satisfied customers can't be wrong.

Many of those owners had spent hundreds of dollars on cheaper mods which broke down before their time, requiring them to buy another cheap mod to replace it. How many times should they continue to buy mods that will not last? A mod with bells & whistles which doesn't work and can't be fixed becomes an expensive paperweight.

Some listened to the Provari owners, bit the bullet and purchased their own. The vast majority kick themselves for not buying one sooner. Rarely do you see someone who has/had a Provari say it wasn't worth the extra expense.

Don't believe me? Read the dozen or so links at the end of my blog: Why Provari?

Most people who buy a Provari are simple vapers. They don't subohm, they don't use high voltage. They don't need variable wattage, puff counters, or an OLED display. They don't mind the Provari's digital screen because they know it is more hardy against abuse than those purty OLED screens that the cheaper mods have. They just want a device that works and won't fall apart or disfunction. And in the rare chance it does, they know they can return it to Provape and have it returned back within days good as new.

If you need the newest shiney and/or the most powerful mod available, more power to you. Just don't judge us simple vapors who just want to vape a simple Provari.

Last edited:

jd1978

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
us
I'm a cheap sob, so naturally when I drop a ton of money on something I usually get buyers remorse. Not with the provari. It is a very solid reliable device. I was using the vamo before buying my provari and it just blows that thing out of the water.

Variable voltage and wattage are essentially the same thing. They are both measurements of power output. You are correct, after murdering off 4 vamos you will have one working one left before reaching the cost of my provari. I gaurentee that once that last vamo of yours is dead my provari will still be working and in the very off chance that it isn't I can send it back and get a replacement for a nominal fee. From what I've heard provape has unparalleled customer service.

When I had a vamo the output would drop off after the battery got half way down, even with brand new batteries. With my provari it stays the same throughout the entire life of the battery. <<This was the biggest selling point for me. It's called pulse width modulation iirc.

I am a hardcore provari fan. It was totally worth the money. I highly recommend it, without hesitation. It is the best device I have ever owned and I do not regret buying it whatsoever.

To anyone who has not personally owned a provari; The OP's question is not directed towards you. Besides that, you have no say in this. You cannot answer the question if you have not spent the money and owned one. He was asking for personal experience, which if you lack then you're just hating if you answer. Trying one isn't enough. You need to spend the money and actually own one.

P.S. I opted for the V2.5 with the blue LED...it ended up costing me 215$...best 215$ I've ever spent.

I also have the blue LED on the stadard black. Red LED on my mini hybrid red/black. I've wondered why the blue is more expensive.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
To anyone who has not personally owned a provari; The OP's question is not directed towards you. Besides that, you have no say in this. You cannot answer the question if you have not spent the money and owned one. He was asking for personal experience, which if you lack then you're just hating if you answer. Trying one isn't enough. You need to spend the money and actually own one.

The OPs question was directed at anyone with an opinion about whether the Provari is worth the $$. he did not say ONLY owners should respond. And if someone chooses to post who does not own one that doesn't automatically mean they're a provari hater. Just because I didn't buy one doesn't mean I don't think they're a good quality unit. It simply means i didn't want to pay for a device with features I don't want. I also have never bought a Vamo, MVP, Lava Tube, Evic, Seigali anything, or any of those other devices with screens that say things & buttons that do things. I don't want one so I never bought one. I like Reos so I bought one of those.

But just for the record, I if I had bought a Provari I don't think I would have been as happy with it as I am with my Reo. So the provari isn't for everyone.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
If the feature set of those devices are a game changer for you, then maybe a Provari isn't right for you. The Provari attracts customers per word of mouth of satisfied owners. That many satisfied customers can't be wrong.

Many of those owners had spent hundreds of dollars on cheaper mods which broke down before their time, requiring them to buy another cheap mod to replace it. How many times should they continue to buy mods that will not last? A mod with bells & whistles which doesn't work and can't be fixed becomes an expensive paperweight.

Some listened to the Provari owners, bit the bullet and purchased their own. The vast majority kick themselves for not buying one sooner. Rarely do you see someone who has/had a Provari say it wasn't worth the extra expense.

Don't believe me? Read the dozen or so links at the end of my blog: Why Provari?

Most people who buy a Provari are simple vapers. They don't subohm, they don't use high voltage. They don't need variable wattage, puff counters, or an OLED display. They don't mind the Provari's digital screen because they know it is more hardy against abuse than those purty OLED screens that the cheaper mods have. They just want a device that works and won't fall apart or disfunction. And in the rare chance it does, they know they can return it to Provape and have it returned back within days good as new.

If you need the newest shiney and/or the most powerful mod available, more power to you. Just don't judge us simple vapors who just want to vape a simple Provari.

I'll give this to cheap mods. I still do love the MVP. I do not regret buying either of them. They taught me a lot regarding advanced features, at a less intimidating price point. I'll still recommend them to the vaper looking to upgrade from en ego.

That said, although I don't regret them I shed no tears for the Petal MVP I just sent to the careless little sister who lost not one, but two egos within a three week time span. Nor is my remaining black MVP seeing much use these last two days. I thought I'd miss variable wattage enough for me to want to pick my MVP'S up more then the Provari, but so far, I've been quite happy just carrying extra batteries for the Provari and switching them out as needed.

Zamazam

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
Midwest USA
It comes down to perceived vs actual value. I bought a Provari about a year after they came out, quite frankly my wife said that I was a fool to spend so much money on an "Ego on 'roids". Her exact words. We both quit smoking together and began vaping. She blew though 8 ego batteries that were the real deal from Joyetech, I still had my Provari and had worn out just one 18490. For her 40th birthday I bought her a white Provari and 2 tons of composted cow poop (we are organic gardeners LOL!). She still uses that Provari every single day, in fact it's only one of 2 APV she owns, the other is a red Sigelei T-Max which she just uses around the house and yard. Compared to a lot of the stuff coming out these days, the Provari is dated. It's best redeeming feature is that it is a solid APV with a really strong track record of reliability. The tradeoff is the cost vs performance. Longevity and quality are the better points the Provari has to offer.

Hope my views help in your decision process.

-Zam

Last edited:

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
agree with zam (as well as a few others). a provari isn't cutting edge by any means, but it's not something you have to worry about. it's nearly indestructible; i've heard stories of people dropping, throwing, running over with a car, etc. their provari, then picking it up and vaping as if nothing happened.

my advice:

if you're the type that always has several mods around, like to keep up with the latest gear, like to experiment with lots of different things, etc., then i'd recommend saving your money for something else.

however, if you're the type that doesn't really care about all the new trends and just want something that works, and that you know you can rely on even after taking a beating (i think baditude's term "simple vaper" is a very accurate description), even today there aren't really any vv/vw mods on the market that can compete with a provari.

Thebay

Apr 24, 2014
Canada
I dont own a Provari but i am sure it is a good device , you get what you pay for and you know how much you pay for it....
I started with the iTaste vv and i have the Sigelei sx200 and mechanical mod on the way and all together with batteries, charger and more staff it is cheaper then the Provari. so sure perhaps they are less durable and probably will break faster but for a beginner building the experience into vaping, it is nicer to try different Products.

BenH90

Apr 24, 2014
Nashville
Most all of the other replies to your message have been very good. I would definitely check out hana mods, dna 30 from vaporshark, or just switch to a mech mod.. Also, something I haven't seen much about on here is the Itaste vtr2.. If your looking for a non mechanical mod, the vtr is right up there with the provari, but almost half the price.. Still around $100-$110, but it vapes like a champ.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Most all of the other replies to your message have been very good. I would definitely check out hana mods, dna 30 from vaporshark, or just switch to a mech mod.. Also, something I haven't seen much about on here is the Itaste vtr2.. If your looking for a non mechanical mod, the vtr is right up there with the provari, but almost half the price.. Still around $100-$110, but it vapes like a champ.

It's also a box mod and really really heavy (my mom has one). So that might factor in for some people.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
My opinion, which has evolved on the subject, is that the ProVari is the ultimate starter device. When you are staring out you want something that works and works every time. Based on its track record, the PV fits the bill. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a starter price tag and is short on features once you are ready to experiment and try new methods and technology. $265 for a black 18650 version with an extended warranty is a tough pill to swallow.

jwoode

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
East Coast
Hi everybody,

I am running a kayfun 3.1 with a Sigelei V.3 right now, a co-worker has a ProVari mini and the regular one. I see the feedback and all that, but is it really worth the triple amount of $$$?

Hit me with some feedback and let me know what you think please.

Thanks in advance also from ProVari owners.

:ohmy:

I would not.

I'm just over 3 months into vaping after 40 years of smoking.
I'm up to 14 mods, and about a dozen vision spinners and a bin full of all kinds of tanks.
The last things I have considered on any of my mods, was price, warranty, or reliability.

I buy what suits my needs, amuses me with features, and it needs to be shiny.
I have also discovered after trying everything I was interested in, that I like box mods best.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi everybody,

I am running a kayfun 3.1 with a Sigelei V.3 right now, a co-worker has a ProVari mini and the regular one. I see the feedback and all that, but is it really worth the triple amount of $$$?

Hit me with some feedback and let me know what you think please.

Thanks in advance also from ProVari owners.

:ohmy:

I think if you want to drop that amount of money maybe look at a few options. The Semovar is available stateside:
Vaperev Shop - Semovar Mod - SvoëMesto - Variable Voltage - Devices

The kayfun was designed to go with the Semovar. Good reports on ECF - this thread started before the Semovar was more readily available in the USA:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...scussion/471875-sm-v3-semovar-vs-provari.html

The Semovar is not new. It has been around for quite a while and has had very good reports for performance and reliability. It has variable wattage. I remember reading about it over a year ago and it wasn't new then. Now it is more readily available it is getting interest from people.

So I'd say look into the different options - I see some other good ones have been suggested too. Then weigh up want you want from the device.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What's interesting to me is the Provari seems to have been in a class all of its own. And may well still be.

It has been in a certain mid-range price bracket with very little competition within that price range. It gets compared to mods that are less expensive and to mods that are more expensive. Recently a couple of worthy competitors have finally entered this mid-range class, namely the Semovar and another which I don't recall the name; yet they are so new on the scene that no one knows yet whether they share two of the main draws of the Provari - immediate and consistant availability and proven customer service after the sale.

There must be something to be said that two or three of these type of threads are started every week, and they always draw a large attendance and become long threads. No other device stimulates so much interest and such a passionate amount of opinion as does the Provari.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
My opinion, which has evolved on the subject, is that the ProVari is the ultimate starter device. When you are staring out you want something that works and works every time. Based on its track record, the PV fits the bill. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a starter price tag and is short on features once you are ready to experiment and try new methods and technology. $265 for a black 18650 version with an extended warranty is a tough pill to swallow.

I tend to think ProVari are for more exoerienced vapers, who know their juice, know their coils, know their batteries, know how their topper wicks and know how to tune the power to get a great vape. Beginners don't know any of that stuff, so need so called set it and forget it VW, fancy screens so they always know the resistance of their topper, their current power setting, how many puffs they take and their battery level.
Once one learns to vape well, a ProVari is all they will ever need to get a great vape...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread