Would you trust a battery from a discount Chinese retailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
A Chinese retailer (who seems to have a decent rep here on the forums) ran a nice discount promo on Memorial day, so I ordered a new mod. This was my first order from this vendor and I didn't realize at the time that they were in China, and I order a couple batteries with the mod to save placing a separate order with my usual supplier.

Even though the retailer in question seems to be somewhat popular, I prefer to get my batteries from a reputable US vendor so that there's little question of authenticity or quality.

I'm tempted to just recycle them, but thought I'd see what you folks think first.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
Id avoid using them in a mod.
Probably be great for a flashlight tho.

That's a good thought, thanks. I've made some purchase mistakes with batteries recently and have a few underpowered batteries on hand that I've been wondering what to do with. I didn't even know they made flashlights with 18650 batteries, but Google says there are lots of those guys for sale so I imagine that's the way I'll go.

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
when it comes to batteries, i feel that is the biggest potential failure point in a device. I would rather minimize damage by ordering from a reputable vendor in the states rather than risk it from overseas where the counterfeit possibility is higher.

prices are still pretty good
2x LG HG2+shipping= $15 vs $10 from China+wait time+possible rewrapped counterfeits

that $5 extra makes me feel safer knowing i dont have a bomb so close to my hands or face.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
A Chinese retailer (who seems to have a decent rep here on the forums) ran a nice discount promo on Memorial day, so I ordered a new mod. This was my first order from this vendor and I didn't realize at the time that they were in China, and I order a couple batteries with the mod to save placing a separate order with my usual supplier.

Even though the retailer in question seems to be somewhat popular, I prefer to get my batteries from a reputable US vendor so that there's little question of authenticity or quality.

I'm tempted to just recycle them, but thought I'd see what you folks think first.
Those batteries are made in China. If it's FastTech and it said "Authentic" in the description then they're authentic. You never said what kind of batteries.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
That's a good thought, thanks. I've made some purchase mistakes with batteries recently and have a few underpowered batteries on hand that I've been wondering what to do with. I didn't even know they made flashlights with 18650 batteries, but Google says there are lots of those guys for sale so I imagine that's the way I'll go.

Most of our vaping batteries come from the world of flashlights.

The word "Mod" is short for "modified flashlight" as the first mods were exactly that.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
Those batteries are made in China. If it's FastTech and it said "Authentic" in the description then they're authentic. You never said what kind of batteries.

They're Samsung INR18650-30Q's from HG, and their production description doesn't claim the batteries are authentic. I knew the batteries were made in China but I also think I'm at much higher risk for receiving counterfeits from China as well.

You actually managed to get that "retailer in question" to ship them to the USA?. For at least one of those China suppliers - that is currently an impossibility.

They say that's why they had to ship via Amsterdam. Darned batteries added at least ten days to my shipping time... wish I'd paid more attention to what I was doing when I bought them.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
If they have been tested by Mooch, and the CDR is appropriate for the application then why not. The vast majority of cells are produced in Asia anyway, in fact are are any produced anywhere other than there?

On an unrelated topic, I've seen Mooch's tests and don't buy any batteries he hasn't approved, but I don't know how to match a CDR to a particular application. I vape at <20 watts and have been told that some 10A batteries I recently purchased are probably okay for my use, but shouldn't be used at higher levels. How do you know which power ratings are best for which style of vaping? Should I just buy 25-30A batteries for everything to be safe, or shouldn't I use high CDR batteries in low power situations like mine?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
On an unrelated topic, I've seen Mooch's tests and don't buy any batteries he hasn't approved, but I don't know how to match a CDR to a particular application. I vape at <20 watts and have been told that some 10A batteries I recently purchased are probably okay for my use, but shouldn't be used at higher levels. How do you know which power ratings are best for which style of vaping? Should I just buy 25-30A batteries for everything to be safe, or shouldn't I use high CDR batteries in low power situations like mine?

The relationship between amp CDR and capacity is like a seesaw. Cells that can provide a high amp draw usually have a relatively low capacity (mAh), conversely ones with a low amp limit have higher capacity.
So if your set up only needs a small number of amps, you can potentially benefit from this with a cell with a high capacity. The LG MJ1 has a 10 amp CDR and a 3500 mAh capacity for instance. But on reflection for the gain of 500 mAh you might as well just opt for the LG HG2 or the 30Q as this seem to give the best of both worlds. Also the advantage of a higher than needed amp limit is as safety margin as the CDR will decrease with a cells age.

Reactions: Squidward

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If they have been tested by Mooch, and the CDR is appropriate for the application then why not. The vast majority of cells are produced in Asia anyway, in fact are are any produced anywhere other than there?

Other than "asia"?
Thats a very very very broad statement.

There is a huge difference between a Toyota and a Dongfeng.

I buy cells online from illumation supply.
California based, with a real brick and mortar location that has been around longer than vaping.

Reactions: Squidward

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't know how to match a CDR to a particular application. I vape at <20 watts and have been told that some 10A batteries I recently purchased are probably okay for my use, but shouldn't be used at higher levels. How do you know which power ratings are best for which style of vaping? Should I just buy 25-30A batteries for everything to be safe, or shouldn't I use high CDR batteries in low power situations like mine?
The formula is different depending upon if you are using a regulated mod or a mechanical mod.

Regulated mod: Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod If using a high wattage regulated mod, use a 20 - 30 amp CDR IMR battery, which ever your mod's manufacturer recommends. The processor's amp limit determines the amp requirement in this application, not the atomizer resistance.

Mechanical mod: Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Best all around choice is to use a 3000mAh 20 amp battery to get the best of both worlds, mAh capacity and amp current handling. Most people don't need a 30 amp battery. There are 20 amp batteries which have the same capacity (mAh) as most 10 amp batteries, so why bother with the 10 amp?

LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 Amp CDR
Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mah 20 Amp CDR
AW 18650 3000mah 20 Amp CDR​

Last edited:

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
The formula is different depending upon if you are using a regulated mod or a mechanical mod.

Regulated mod: Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod If using a high wattage regulated mod, use a 20 - 30 amp CDR IMR battery, which ever your mod's manufacturer recommends. The processor's amp limit determines the amp requirement in this application, not the atomizer resistance.

Mechanical mod: Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Best all around choice is to use a 3000mAh 20 amp battery to get the best of both worlds, capacity and current handling. Most people don't need a 30 amp battery. There are 20 amp batteries which have the same capacity (mAh) as most 10 amp batteies, so why bother with the 10 amp?

LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 Amp CDR
Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mah 20 Amp CDR
AW 18650 3000mah 20 Amp CDR​

Thanks very much for your post! I've tried to research batteries several times but most articles are so far over my head that I'm lost after the first paragraph or two.

I only use regulated mods, and the link to Mooch's article was exactly what I needed, as were your "Best all around choice" suggestions. I started with LG HG2's and for some reason, have impulse-purchased some other random batteries that I'm just now figuring out weren't good choices. I'm going to stick with HG2's for my low-watt/high-ohm vaping, and send my cloud chasing kids to Mooch's 18650 Battery Ratings chart for their higher-power requirements.

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
You guys are something else here. You really all are. This man just bought batteries from a reputable Chinese Vendor, and of a battery type that at this point has seen so few counterfeits, and you are all instantly jumping to the conclusion of them being fake. You didnt even know the type of battery before you all jumped on him with the whole "Its from china, its .... mentality."
Taking from personal experience, I have purchased EVERY SINGLE ONE of my batteries from China, and guess what? They're all authentic. All 30 of them. They all work as they should, they all weigh as they should. I can push them up to 20 amps in my regulated mods and they are still ice cold, and working well.

Don't start bashing things without knowing the whole deal, or without ever having dealt with Chinese vendors. As long as you are ordering from one of the Reputable vendors(3F, Focal, FT, GB, HG) the chance of getting a counterfeit product is incredibly low. Also, newsflash, your local B&M, probably gets their supply from one of these vendors for batteries. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread