Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I picked up a prepaid reloadable MasterCard debit card yesterday from my bank for using online, no fees at all since I have an account. Loaded it with $100. Only problem is, I am buying too much vaping stuff online with it now... lol
Last time I tried with regions it would not activate, had to go back to the branch where I got it from to get a new one, gave up after that and bought the prepay with a fee. I know I'm wasting money, but I look at it as a convenience. Lol

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Last time I tried with regions it would not activate, had to go back to the branch where I got it from to get a new one, gave up after that and bought the prepay with a fee. I know I'm wasting money, but I look at it as a convenience. Lol
Was it a MasterCard? The cashier at my bank activated it for me right there at the bank, glad I didn't have to do it if there are issues doing it!

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
My bank (Federal) sends an automated purchase notice to my e-mail. I have 24 hours to contest it or let it continue through. I got the e-mail probably within 10 minutes of the purchase.

I think it does actually go through, but contesting is easy at that early point for a business that wants to stay away from a banking regulator report.

It seems to work. I use one of my cards specifically for online purchasing and I have not encountered a bad charge.

I think banks are getting smarter.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I've used my main bank account debit card for ages no plan to change.

I've had 2 fraudulent charges in 5 1/2 years my bank took care of it had my funds back same day and no questions asked. Heck, not sure if anyone even remembers but back in the Ms T's Bakery days I ordered some juice and never received anything, after waiting 3 months before doing something about it and reporting the charge to the bank. One phone call had the funds back in there next day.

Get yourself a good bank not a good pre-paid card.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South

I've had 2 fraudulent charges in 5 1/2 years my bank took care of it had my funds back same day and no questions asked. Heck, not sure if anyone even remembers but back in the Ms T's Bakery days I ordered some juice and never received anything, after waiting 3 months before doing something about it and reporting the charge to the bank. One phone call had the funds back in there next day.

Regions is the big bank in the south

Reactions: ChelsB

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

I don't recommend Using your main debt card at all online, tied to your checking and/or savings account someone could make a big charge or withdrawals leaving you with nothing until you get it straightened out, even with a good bank thats not instantly.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I don't recommend Using your main debt card at all online, tied to your checking and/or savings account someone could make a big charge or withdrawals leaving you with nothing until you get it straightened out, even with a good bank thats not instantly.
As much as I believe that people should do what they are comfortable with, that is usually THE big "don't do this" item I've seen on most financial advice sites.
Although you very well may get your money back, if you are in a position where you need "X" dollars in your account to cover your mortgage and car payment, it would really suck to have to deal with rejected payment fees from those companies, because they, unlike your bank, don't care that you got scammed. They just want their money.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
As much as I believe that people should do what they are comfortable with, that is usually THE big "don't do this" item I've seen on most financial advice sites.
Although you very well may get your money back, if you are in a position where you need "X" dollars in your account to cover your mortgage and car payment, it would really suck to have to deal with rejected payment fees from those companies, because they, unlike your bank, don't care that you got scammed. They just want their money.
This is what we went through. 3 week nightmare, Regions did make it right, after a lot of apology letters, our lesson was learned, even after trying to use their prepaid card, I will spend $4.95 every few months. I happy with this, if your happy with your banking that's fine too. Just not for my family. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana

I remember the Mrs Ts debacle. That place was taking orders for months after they had pretty much stopped shipping juice as I remember the stories. To be fair I have no proof just what I read here on ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread