Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Ok so what kind of coils and ohms am I looking for

So we know you have a Reload and an Ammit to build with, I know you said you tried your Ammit with a single coil build, but is your Ammit a single coil only deck, or is it a dual coil deck with a plug on one side? I will also say that due to the way the airflow is on the Ammit it is not considered one of the better tanks for flavor (according to DJlsb review).

Also do you vape mouth to lung (MTL) or a Direct to Lung (DL)? That will make a difference in what you need.

Edit: Also what mod or mods do you have available to use?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you want to play with builds that require 50-75W, just get a dual battery mod. Even with 20A batteries you'll be safe and maybe get through a solid day of running out of it. The more complex a coil you choose to use only bring smaller and smaller incremental improvement. As you've already found something like a stapled Clapton doesn't offer much over a simpler coil and demands more current. I would suggest if you want to stick with complex coils, stick with plain Clapton coils. Reserve fused Claptons for those extremely large chambered tanks.

If you want to run at ~100W or more all day, a 3 battery mod is your only option, and even that might get a tad low towards the end of the day (depending on your vaping preferences and how much juice you'll use in a day).

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Guess I'm have to find a 4 battery mod or get better coil so I can vape at a lower watt

These framed staples at .194 need atleast 80 watts till I taste anything:(
Generally I use two builds/mods daily, one is .25 and the other is .4 between the two it lasts me all day 10+ ml

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I have heard some bad things (here on ECF) about the Smok GX2/4. So for that reason I wouldn't suggest it for someone who is already frustrated.

Care to share the "bad things" about the GX2/4 you have first hand knowledge about, or is it just what you hear/read that compels you to "warn others?"

Perhaps your list of mods that have zero complaints or problems would be more helpful to the discussion?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Care to share the "bad things" about the GX2/4 you have first hand knowledge about, or is it just what you hear/read that compels you to "warn others?"

Perhaps your list of mods that have zero complaints or problems would be more helpful to the discussion?

I am not sure why you seem to be taking this personally, but below I have pasted one of a couple of negative posts about this device and Smok devices in general I have been seeing as of late. Someone warned me against it and I was just paying it forward. Personally I do like some of their tanks though.

Also I am not sure he even needs a new mod, which is why I asked the questions I did (still waiting on his response). It could be he just needs a different tank and the right build. Without those questions being answered most of the advice in this thread are just "shot in the dark" suggestions that may or may not even be helpful to him.

I picked up a GX 2/4 a couple weeks ago. It has a *great* form factor in 2 battery mode. Unfortunately, it's a huge piece of crap.

I had a few issues with the mod. The first is/was the 510 threading. I don't know why but my Wotofo Vaporous will not screw into the GX 2/4 .. it screws onto all my other mods, though. All my other toppers worked on the GX 2/4 so I don't know what the deal is but it was annoying.

About a week in the feel on the fire button changed. It started to feel less crisp and I wondered how long it would last. But then I dropped the mod from about waste high onto carpet and it totally died. It turns on but turns off as soon as you hit the fire button.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
It's being said but not sure if you're hearing this and thinking about it, @fifamymaingame
It sounds like you are too focused on these crazy coil configurations telling you what a good vape should be. It then forces you to rethink your mod and batteries. I saw you attempted to build but all of that is too much for you to handle ATM. Have you ever vaped a "normal" coil (single wire in single or dual config) in your rta? If you can buy locally "made" coils, try some simple 26 and/or 24 g microcoils for your ammit. I think you'll be surprised at the results... and you won't need 100 watts to power them.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I am not sure why you seem to be taking this personally

I am not so much "taking it personally" as tiring of all the anti-Smok posts based solely on something read on the internet. Many of those negative posts result from issues unrelated to defective Smok products....see my next comment on the post you quoted.....

but below I have pasted one of a couple of negative posts about this device and Smok devices in general I have been seeing as of late

The poster calling the GX2/4 "a huge piece of crap" because one atty didn't screw on or work and after dropping it, "it died?" I have no idea if that poster ever followed up with any updates, but I don't think those "failures" justify advising others not to consider buying whatever mod it was. Marking my post with a disagree, then quoting my post to proclaim "for that reason I wouldn't suggest it" leans heavily to that "advice."

Also I am not sure he even needs a new mod

Does op need a new mod? No! But since the title clearly states a frustration with limited battery life and the first post contains "Guess I'm have to find a 4 battery mod or.....", suggesting my post was on topic and within reason. Of course, op has the option of altering his vaping preferences by upping the ohms and lowering the watts as others are strongly suggesting.

Reactions: Eskie

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Does op need a new mod? No! But since the title clearly states a frustration with limited battery life and the first post contains "Guess I'm have to find a 4 battery mod or.....", suggesting my post was on topic and within reason. Of course, op has the option of altering his vaping preferences by upping the ohms and lowering the watts as others are strongly suggesting.

You are right I don't have any first hand knowledge that fire button gets weak after a week of use or that some tanks may or may not screw on to it. So I retract what I said. I still don't think recommending spending money when we don't know the root cause of his issue and his "style" of vaping is the correct course of action. If you said your laptop batteries didn't last long I wouldn't immediately jump to "go buy a new laptop" without asking some more detailed questions first.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't got my ammit no more. Wicking is the hardest part either to much or to little with the reload so far haha

Do you vape mouth to lung (MTL) or a Direct to Lung (DL)? Do you prefer dripping or tanks? That will make a difference in what you need.
Also what mod or mods do you have available to use?

Reactions: Eskie

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I am not so much "taking it personally" as tiring of all the anti-Smok posts based solely on something read on the internet. Many of those negative posts result from issues unrelated to defective Smok products....see my next comment on the post you quoted.....

The poster calling the GX2/4 "a huge piece of crap" because one atty didn't screw on or work and after dropping it, "it died?" I have no idea if that poster ever followed up with any updates, but I don't think those "failures" justify advising others not to consider buying whatever mod it was. Marking my post with a disagree, then quoting my post to proclaim "for that reason I wouldn't suggest it" leans heavily to that "advice."

Hey, that's me, lol. I have a bunch of other mods that I've purchased recently . .a Therion 166, an eLeaf pico, an Innokin Kroma-A, a Smok G150 . .a mi-one . .plus I have a box of older mods that I purchased a few years back. It's not like I have nothing to compare to.

The drop that killed my GX 2/4 was just a few feet onto carpet. In my opinion and experience in dropping mods . .that drop shouldn't have killed the mod. Even before it died, I was pretty sure the fire button was going to break . .after about a week it started feeling "weird".

As far as the G150, that mod is still working but it acts strange when I charge it. Sometimes it takes a very long time to fully charge, sometimes it stops charging before it's fully charged. Coincidentally or not, I had one charger burn-out while charging the G150 (not smoking or anything, just died). I'm too nervous to charge it unattended and it takes a pretty long time to charge so it doesn't get much use. The other odd thing it does is it always reads the resistance differently . .ie . .if I remove the topper and put it right back on . .the resistance will read as much as .5 ohms difference. Periodically during use the vape power will just drop right off .. then I'll remove the atty and replace it and all of a sudden it's good again.

I'm definitely have no "anti-smok agenda" - it's just based on my recent experiences with both the G150 and the GX 2/4 I would not purchase another Smok mod. Tanks yes, mods no. That's just me, my opinion, my experience . .yada yada.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
@Bosco (system does not allow me to give your post a "like" as well):

I have no problem at all with you or any other posters sharing their personal experiences with gear and giving their opinion based on those experiences. I do have a problem with a poster reading your post, then quoting it for support for avoiding specific gear. Sorry for your unfortunate bad luck, but I have to believe there might be others dropping their GX2/4 (maybe even from more height, a harder surface, or both) that go unreported.

Just out of my own curiosity, was it in dual or quad battery configuration when dropped? If quad, the added weight may have contributed, so I may want to only use quad when I need the extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread