X2 Power 37.5A 2400mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only an average 20A battery, damaged at 25A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating on it then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done. Or they would have labeled the rating on the wrap as "pulse" or "burst". Battery buyers should not have to hunt down what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing cells at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is an average performing 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell. Three discharges at only 25A damaged the cell and caused a significant decrease in performance.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2170mAh. This is average performance for a 2400mAh-rated cell at 10A.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 67°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 82°C. This is above the average for a cell operating at its CDR but just within the range of acceptable values. The capacity was 17% less than a Samsung 25R at 20A.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 96°C. This is too high for a cell operating at its CDR and is very close to my safety limit of 100°C.
    • Discharges at 30A and 37.5A showed huge voltage sag and loss of capacity. This is clearly not a 37.5A cell.
    • Two more 20A discharges showed that no additional damage was being done to the cell at this discharge current level other than what occurs when running a cell at its CDR.
    • Two more 25A discharges show clear damage to the cell. I do not recommend operating this cell above 20A continuous.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. Its temperature is high but acceptable. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 20A.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    does it matter what your voltage drain rate is during the amperage drain, and if so what voltage drain are you putting on these batteries during your testing?

Welcome to ECF!

The voltage drops on its own as a result of the current draining out charge from the battery. All I do for testing is apply a load to the battery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread