XC-116 (Nextel 330) Heat Treatment Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
wfarrar, what I am using now has been hardened, using their heat treating process. Now when you cut it, it is just a clean cut. The whole wick is a different consistency. The vape is extremely good so far, it is better than the regular xc 116, whether it is worth the time to do this, I'm not 100% sold. Time will tell.

I'm not sure there is a way to eliminate the carbon buildup, I think this because of our juice and or flavorings. I like mostly dark juices (or so it seems) So I know it's hard on them. So far the xc 116 has been much better in that regards, but it still gets the inevitable carbon build up.

Ripple, I was thinking about that. It would be pretty easy to find a ceramics shop around you (or a potter) and get them to fire or heat clean a whole supply, by getting them to fire it in their kiln. (As long as the follow the temps/times that are given)
In the end you might end up with a new friend too!

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
see the vapor your describing is what im after, if only my funds allowed. Apparently im a "grown-up" and i have the stupid things called "priorities" i have to take care of first. The good news is once i finish my house there will be no more rent for me and that should free up some cash.

You could always try to trade your Provari for a GGTS

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Wait until you get it on a GGTS, the amount of vapor will blow you away. I've vaped everything from 50-50 to 100VG and it's just ridiculous the density of the vapor. If my air flow isn't restricted the vapor isn't even remotely as dense

You know I managed to strip out the connector on my TS so I have my iAtty on my TB and you are right. Much less dense vapor without the airflow restriction.

wfarrar33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Arkansas
woooo, slow down lol...... I think there will be room for the Provari and the GGTS (hopefully SS) in my collection. Just might take awhile.

@rick after using the torch it was a completely clean cut too. The only fraying i got was screwing on the cone. It wasnt bad at all though.

You could always try to trade your Provari for a GGTS

Moshmarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2010
Minneapolis
I remember reading something about putting an o-ring around the iAtty connector, over the side holes, to tighten up the draw a bit, or a lot, depending on the ring thickness i suppose
I haven't needed to try it, but it may be worth a look..

I do have to try some of this wick soon, though- lots of good info here!

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I doubled the wick under the coil only with good success. The vapor is thick, mellow, and very consistant.
I used a wick of normal length and a second wick the length of the coil. I used both for the coil.
I vape 100% dark vg at 6v 3ohm. Resistance 36g

This is my best coil by far, using 1/16 standard wick.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Ah yes, I had forgotten ;) Give it another try, this time make sure every bit of the wick gets glowing white hot with the torch for 10-20 seconds. It becomes far more manageable.

Do you have a dremel? I actually just increased the size of the slits in the ceramic cup with a diamond bit (as Zor suggested) I haven't installed it yet, but now the wick fits perfectly. It's a pretty simple modification, but you have to have a diamond bit.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Poppa D, what and how we vape is pretty similar. You need to try the xc 116. It just really shines at HV vaping. From the first puff I was sold. If you can get over having to blowtorch it to clean the sizing off, it is remarkable stuff. So far my best coil, is the one pictured :)
When you say clean the sizing off, how do you go about that?

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
When you say clean the sizing off, how do you go about that?

Copied from post # 16

" I torched it quite a bit and kept the torch in the same area for awhile and moved down a little and repeated until i covered the entire piece. If you just move the torch back and forth over the entire piece it never gets the bright white glow. I had to keep the tip of the flame in one area for 10 or 15 seconds to get it to glow."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread