XC-116 (Nextel 330) Heat Treatment Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I just finished modding a CE2 Ceramic, I will change it out when this tank is empty. Here are some photos, this was done with a 7144 Diamond point bit for a dremel. I broke quite a few trying, the trick to this is to be ultra gentle and let the cutter do the work with very minimal pressure applied to the workpiece (ceramic.)

I first made the large hole at the bottom and then widened the channels and rounded any sharp corners. Now the wick fits perfect with no pinching, and no fraying, but still held securely. The ceramic wick can now be removed and replaced with no fraying and it slips nicely where it belongs. I will post my results as soon as I install it. I think it will improve this wicking system even more.

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
fright, I plan on wrapping the coil around the wick still, I would like to be able to wash/clean/reuse the wick. It cleans back to new practically, but... with the channels unmodified eventually it cuts through the wick. I also suspect that crushing and cramming the wick into those two channels right where it is feeding the coil is what restricts the juice flow to the coil the most. I will be doing a similar thing to the channels under the cone, once Imeo makes some replacement delrin pieces.

I will most definitely snap an installed pic for ya ;)

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Jonah, I can offer some preliminary "food for thought." The kiln fired is completely consistent. Ceramics are pretty particular in regards to heat and time for their crystaline structure to form. So the the kiln has the torch beat on keeping a consistent heat for a long period of time.

We shall see if it lasts longer before it has to be replaced due to wear. I will do some comparison vaping between the two... damn... I wish I had another iAtty :lol: it would make comparing much easier :)

Last edited:

JonahNM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
New Mexico
www.vapor-age.com
Jonah, I can offer some preliminary "food for thought." The kiln fired is completely consistent. Ceramics are pretty particular in regards to heat and time for their crystaline structure to form. So the the kiln has the torch beat on keeping a consistent heat for a long period of time.

We shall see if it lasts longer before it has to be replaced due to wear. I will do some comparison vaping between the two... damn... I wish I had another iAtty :lol: it would make comparing much easier :)

I will probably take the rest of the roll for firing, but no rush. I am still using the same piece I started with 30+ tanks of juice back. I hit it with my torch every 10 tanks or so to clean it and put it back in.

Titan Vapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
NC
youtu.be
What is the reasoning behind the heat treatment with this method or the pencil torch? Is it to avoid the bad taste?

If it's the taste fix I'm going to go get a torch right now. With the wick Bruce sent me I had no problems with taste at all, however with the wick from an iAtty that I bought from a ECF member I got the nastiest taste ever when first firing it, after about 30 pulls the flavor seems to have balanced out.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
fright, I plan on wrapping the coil around the wick still, I would like to be able to wash/clean/reuse the wick. It cleans back to new practically, but... with the channels unmodified eventually it cuts through the wick. I also suspect that crushing and cramming the wick into those two channels right where it is feeding the coil is what restricts the juice flow to the coil the most. I will be doing a similar thing to the channels under the cone, once Imeo makes some replacement delrin pieces.

I will most definitely snap an installed pic for ya ;)

Surf's up on the replacement pieces....now that I have one on order, I can open up the channels on mine and make this one a 116 Mod.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
What is the reasoning behind the heat treatment with this method or the pencil torch? Is it to avoid the bad taste?

If it's the taste fix I'm going to go get a torch right now. With the wick Bruce sent me I had no problems with taste at all, however with the wick from an iAtty that I bought from a ECF member I got the nastiest taste ever when first firing it, after about 30 pulls the flavor seems to have balanced out.

Tpa, If you have xc 116, this stuff comes with an organic lubricant used for the weaving process. That taste is the sizing burning off, get a blow torch and heat the entire wick (get each part glowing white hot)to burn that stuff off. It won't taste like anything once that stuff is gone.

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I would hold off on firing your remainder Jonah, it sounds like your already getting good longevity out of it. I'm going to keep at this for awhile to see whether it is worth doing.

I installed the modded ceramic cup today, I had to run out of the house, so I didn't get a chance to take a picture (I forgot) and I will add one as soon as I can. So far it has made the vapor much moister and pleasant than it was before. It definitely makes a substantial difference in how much juice the coill gets. Good call on using the diamond bit Zor, the ceramic is far too hard to cut with anything else.

Zoranth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Baldwin, MI. USA
www.keepandshare.com
I must be getting older than my birth certificate says.. cuz I do not remember presenting this idea.... But if I did say it, then my memory still sucks cuz I don't remember where I said it Lol. ;)

Cup modification is an excellent idea though and will be doing some myself in time.

Good call on using the diamond bit Zor, the ceramic is far too hard to cut with anything else.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I must be getting older than my birth certificate says.. cuz I do not remember presenting this idea.... But if I did say it, then my memory still sucks cuz I don't remember where I said it Lol. ;)

Cup modification is an excellent idea though and will be doing some myself in time.

Could have been someone else, but I'm pretty sure you mentioned it. I don't remember what thread it was. But maybe it's my memory that's gone bad :lol:

Modifying the cup this way makes the vape better IMHO. If you have any CE2, give it a shot. You just have to be gentle with the bit.

Titan Vapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
NC
youtu.be
This is odd,one iAtty is giving great flavor and the other is plain nasty. I used the same type of fresh new wick however the wire is diffrent on one. Could this be the issue? I got mine from Bruce new and that's the one with the wire that is not causing a taste problem. The one I got from an ECF member is was here in the US and I would think it's the same wire as mine but it looks diffrent. Anyone had any problems like this and know how to fix it?

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I've noticed that some nichrome and some kanthal smokes a bit when it is first fired. I think that's what the gross taste is tpa, It seems to burn off pretty quickly (at least the stuff I have that does it) I generally fire the coil before final assembly of the rest of the iAtty to make sure it works. It also gives the nichrome a chance to burn that crap off before I breathe any of it. Not all of the resistance wire does this. Maybe that's your issue.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
atavanhalen, You can fire it in a kiln to burn it off. Or you can use a blowtorch and heat the wick up bit by bit glowing white hot, and it will burn off.
I apologize, for some reason I thought sizing was something that was created after taking a blow torch to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread