XC-116 (Nextel 330) Heat Treatment Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Modifying the ceramic cup

....I use a diamond wheel instead of a diamond bit. It's easier to form the angles and trim the cup

ae68267a-a4ab-480f-a13b-cf7aa81e1ea4_300.jpg

Haha, apparently it was my memory going bad Zor, It was Para who suggested it originally. The bit worked good Para, after I stopped manhandling it :lol: I can see why the wheel would be easier though. :)

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Haha, apparently it was my memory going bad Zor, It was Para who suggested it originally. The bit worked good Para, after I stopped manhandling it :lol: I can see why the wheel would be easier though. :)

Don't matter to me who suggests somethin'....just want folks to get the best tool for the job. That diamond wheel has a hundred uses over the years....it's in the "Gotta Have One" category for me.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I wanted to update everyone, modifying the cup like I did makes all the difference in the world with the xc 116, the coil is now well fed with juice and it has improved its vape tremedously. :)

Seems to be the best way to go for me as well. I'm working on R and NR wire connections. The 1 x 1 mm crimp tubes work OK.....Soldering the two wires directly to each other is next up to test

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Para are you having issues with crimping? I was strongly considering buying them but if it isn't much of an improvement I will save my money for other GG stuff lol

No issues; I just don't like the crimp tubes when I'm wrapping the coil. Crimp tubes are easy to attach with knurled jaw pliers......I'd rather eliminate them and just wrap wire.

5 bucks for 100. I'd get them and give it a go if I were you. That's pretty cheap and you don't need to buy the crimp tool so save 10 bucks on that

Zoranth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Baldwin, MI. USA
www.keepandshare.com
Well, I did a little bit of gambling. I didn't have any CE2's or spare cups at all. So I said the heck with it, broke out the dremel and diamond coated ball tip (only one I had) and opened up the slots (just a straight line, nothing fancy). I did get rid of the sharp edges though and it fits like a dream.

Put it all together and it vapes like a locomotive ;)

Next step, open up the Delrin so the cone does not cut into the wick. But I will wait until I can get a couple of spares before I do that part.

Zor, That makes me smile!

Open up those holes in the ceramic (if you have some CE2's laying around) It gets much better!

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Dream, I like the 7144 Diamond point bit. But I am also probably considered an advanced hand tool user. The Diamond wheel might be easier to use, but I have never tried it so I can't say for sure. If you have reasonable hand eye coordination and be very gentle the diamond point bit works great. If you get overanxious and apply too much force you will break the ceramic.

Anyone attempting a modification to the ceramic should be aware of the risk of breaking it. Make sure you have a few spares, and don't try on your last ceramic cup. When it breaks it is completely unusable. Just so you know!

Dream

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Redondo Beach
I'll order some backup ceramic cups or CE2's and tube-cut them first. I figure I'm better off using the 7144 bit as there are a few choices for the wheel. And there are a couple of you who have already used the bit successfully.

Which model Dremel do you recommend for this chore? Frankly, I'm a novice with hand tools..

Thanks for putting things in perspective. I really appreciate it!
Hey, have you tried XC4 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread