Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I just learned to right click the link and check open in a new tab. (There were some other solutions mentioned, I believe.)
yeah I do this a lot too. and I know retired hates it when they don't open in a new tab, so it's being worked on, and has gotten much better. Can't say I remember everything I've read, but have read every post in this thread. lol

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There is a discussion on this, perhaps in this thread?

I just learned to right click the link and check open in a new tab. (There were some other solutions mentioned, I believe.)

Tearose, you can also center click your scroll wheel--if your mouse comes with a clickable scroll wheel. :D

Discussion starts here.

Forum issues | Page 30 | E-Cigarette Forum

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yep - Even see a box on the right side advertising that you can place an advertisement there now too . . . :(

Yup! I'm seeing the same box, just under forum statistics and share this page. Is this now a permanent feature? "Here comes everybody?" ;)

I don't see any other ads--Windows 7, Chrome, no Adblocker.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There is a discussion on this, perhaps in this thread?

I normally always do that... but I had gotten spoiled and lazy with the old software... :blush:

Andria

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The only ad or something like an ad is ECF with a square box that say Advertise Here...
I see an ad right under the first post of any thread I visit.

I've gotten used to seeing it and just cruising past it. Hardly notice the thing anymore. ;)

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
The only ad or something like an ad is ECF with a square box that say Advertise Here...

I have 1 banner directly below the forum nav bar and 1 banner below the first post on every page, plus the ECF Ad on the right.

Judging by the fact that they are turned off in the supplier forum area (just found this out), this must be the new normal.

Reactions: Bimini Twist

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I see an ad right under the first post of any thread I visit.

I've gotten used to seeing it and just cruising past it. Hardly notice the thing anymore. ;)

Yea, I never noticed it until people started posting about it - does not bother me in the least - should not bother anyone.

Reactions: clnire

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I have 1 banner directly below the forum nav bar and 1 banner below the first post on every page, plus the ECF Ad on the right.

Judging by the fact that they are turned off in the supplier forum area (just found this out), this must be the new normal.

From a couple of supliers I know, theyre seeing these ads too - let's just say they are not very happy about seeing another vendors ad/products being sold in their threads . . . And - As such, as far as they are concerned - NOT NICE - at all . . . :mad:

Just Sayin' . . .

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
From a couple of supliers I know, theyre seeing these ads too - let's just say they are not very happy about seeing another vendors ad/products being sold in their threads . . . And - As such, as far as they are concerned - NOT NICE - at all . . . :mad:

Just Sayin' . . .

They were turned off in the Supplier Forums. If any are seeing them, please ask them to report it to Misty.

Thx :)

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I realize this won't work for everyone, but I got used to it on the old forum, this is why I open pretty much everything in a new tab. Each thread that I go back and forth through is in a new tab. refresh watched threads tab to see who's posted in which thread, then I go refresh that tab where that thread is. I just prefer closing something when I'm done rather than re-navigating, and don't mind having 7-10 tabs across the top open.

The issue with that (for me), is that I always have my work email, personal email, work calendar, personal calendar, two work websites, a couple of Google Docs, and at least 3 other forums open in different tabs at all times. Adding more tabs can get cluttered fast.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
I'm not seeing any. It could be because I'm using Adblock Plus.
Well yea, but that was one of the bennies of being a supporting member - those ads didn't show up. I use adblockers as well, but was able to disable it for ECF with the old software. I activated it again shortly after ECF went to XF, but deactivated it just to see if the ads were still there. They are.

Before I was a supporting member, I clicked and bought from one of those ads. Worst purchase I ever made in the vape world. That was very disconcerting for me since I have been on the 'net since spam was nothing more than canned meat or a funny Monty Python skit. Before the 'net went commercial. When the WWW was just a teensy-tiny (convenient) part of the Internet.

I don't believe I ever followed a newsgroup/Web ad before, but as a newbie vaper I had so much trust in ECF that I went ahead and did it. I'm blocking all of those ad banners, but I feel that after paying I shouldn't have to put up with them at all.

Just waiting to see how this pans out. If ECF feels the need to continue ads for paying members, well . . .

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Where are you guys seeing ads? I only see the "Advertise here" box. I know they're necessary to fund the site and I feel really bad that I can't contribute, so I won't mind them. My only big fear when they start popping up is that they'll be the same tacky, annoying, blinking animated gifs that drive me nuts on other vape sites. C'mon vape shops, cut it out with those - they suck and they're tacky! :grr: There's one site that I can't even go to because those blinky ads make me physically ill (vertigo) and there are sooo many of them. :(

In Firefox, there's Toggle Animated Gifs that allow you to turn them off at will (ctrl M), so you can leave the ones animated that you wanna see animated (like smileys within posts) and just turn off the intrusive ones. But in Safari (the one I use most often), it's an all or nothing affair with Deanimator, and it doesn't always work.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well yea, but that was one of the bennies of being a supporting member - those ads didn't show up.

Yeah--but not every supporting member sees them--I don't... And I don't have Ad Blocker. That's weird.

Like I said earlier, I only see that annoying "advertise here" box to the right. That's all.

Last edited:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Yeah--but not every supporting member sees them--I don't... And I don't have Ad Blocker. That's weird.

Like I said earlier, I only see that annoying "advertise here" box to the right. That's all.
Same here. Only time I see ads is before I login. Win7/FF

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com

That's where I see them on Windows 8/FireFox. I didn't see any on Tapatalk, but I'm not very used to that ap. I would try it on a mobile browser, but my current password is so convoluted that I'm not willing to go through that effort.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
That's where I see them on Windows 8/FireFox. I didn't see any on Tapatalk, but I'm not very used to that ap. I would try it on a mobile browser, but my current password is so convoluted that I'm not willing to go through that effort.

Probably gonna get crucified for saying this and it obviously doesn't effect me currently, but IMO i don't think its 'fair' for supporting members to have to see the AD's and i genuinely hope they rethink it/are able to turn them off for supporting members in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread