Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't know what to think of the whole Nickel info?! I think I'll use up my 5 pack of Subtank TC coils and then go back to Kanthal while I wait for the "experts" to sort it out... I just started using TC with the Xvostick, so going back to Kanthal won't bother me a bit. I bought the Xvostick for the form factor anyway.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
And if its the same vid I saw getting an absolute bollocking on FBook, then let me just LOL right now. :D

Echoing Kat (what a surprise!), and adding that we're interested in any insight you might have. Laymen (laywomen) here.

Can I say that??? :lol:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I don't know what to think of the whole Nickel info?! I think I'll use up my 5 pack of Subtank TC coils and then go back to Kanthal while I wait for the "experts" to sort it out... I just started using TC with the Xvostick, so going back to Kanthal won't bother me a bit. I bought the Xvostick for the form factor anyway.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

In fact, Kat said (when we were still just "considering" it), "IF we ever decided to try TC, at least we'll have a mod for it already." The value of that aspect, for us, was zero. It's ALL about the form ('bout the form, 'bout the form...). :D

Bedtime calls. Good night all!

Reactions: Katdarling

vakaion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
Australia
vaka, it seems Ti wire is "ok". I think. An expert on metallurgy I am not.

I don't know what you saw on FB. I actually posted it on my own page, but so far with very little in the way of comments. We'll see. :)
Ti wire is only "okay" if you don't dry burn or pulse it past a certain point (there's a whole thread on titanium wire safety here on ECF).
I'll watch the one posted here when I get home, but after seeing Woofers response to it I wouldnt be shocked if it's the same or similar to one I saw on FBook a week ago.
That one was so full of psuedo-science, mummery and flat out misinformation I couldn't accept it as anything other than an attempted troll. lol >_<

Reactions: DPLongo22

vakaion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
Australia
VERY interested in your take, vaka. Please do let us know.

Without being a metallurgist myself (which makes me about as qualified as that guy in the video, except I have better Google skills than him it seems! lol), I can only really give an "unprofessional" opinion.
Pretty much all the stuff (wire, wicks, juices) we use as vapers have inherent risks involved. We minimize these risks by using them within a specific operating range (in this case, temperature). Go outside this range (or do things like torching coils so they glow bright enough to light a room :p ) and of course you're asking for trouble.
I'd be as concerned about what burnt cotton gives off in fumes (Google it, makes you never want to experience a dry hit again haha) as I would be by nickel, because to heat a nickel coil to the point you're hitting that bigger danger zone you'd likely be charring that wick nicely too. Mmmmmmmm charcoal vape! lol :p

He is right in that we don't know the full story about what we inhale when using nickel coils and how it affects us, but that is also the case with every other product on the market too.
Trying to justify his opinion by saying things like we don't cook with nickel (last I checked we don't cook with cotton, rayon or kanthal either), and complaining about it being an allergen for some (last I checked a bag of peanuts didn't come with a "may trigger allergies" warning haha, it's common bloody sense), simply tells me he knows as little about the topic as the rest of us.

My advice is avoid the bias from both sides, glean what cold hard facts you can from what is currently known about vaping with nickel (there are plenty of threads with arguments from both sides right here on ECF), and make your own informed decision on whether the possible risk of using nickel is any lesser/greater than every other risk when vaping.

FYI: I used nickel, and was happy enough using it. I simply changed to titanium because ni200 was a PITA to get decent resistance out of without having a squishy soft coil.
I was quite happy with kanthal too. But in all three cases I never thought "this wire is safe", I know there's possible hazards with them all.

Sorry, I've waffled on quite a lot. Tired from work, unwell, and having watched a video I think doesn't serve much purpose has scrambled my brain. :confused:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Thanks to all who contributed to that short digression, and anyone else please feel free...

Now back to on-point, I can't imagine this is accurate, but our Xvo order already shows "Accepted for shipment." I have to guess that's simply a formality, since we just placed it five days ago, but I'll update here if I see differently. If they ARE moving that quickly, that would be pretty impressive.

I have NO such expectations though, and am absolutely fine with waiting however long we must.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
@DPLongo22 no idea mate, never paid much attention to order status when I put mine in.

I usually don't either, V, but curiosity jumped me on this one. It's not something I'll be checking daily, necessarily, but I probably will punch in every few days (just to see...).

Reactions: vakaion

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I loved your post, vaka, and your waffling was just perfect. It was thoughtful, and wise. Really do appreciate the input, and I'm pretty much in the same camp as you (except this one time I went to band camp and...). I do agree it's important for all of us to get whatever information we can, then make reasonable and personal decisions. Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out!

DPL, are they here yet? How bout now. Now? Check again!!!!! :D

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
There is little to nothing in the video that is right or indisputable. (Watch it a 2x speed if you watch)
Let's look at just a couple of points.
"We don't use nickel in cooking" Wrong stainless steel contains nickel (10% is not minor) and is does leach (he is wrong again)
Nickel is also used in some food processing equipment.
Actually a bit of nickel is thought to be a dietary requirement. Nutritional requirements for boron, silicon, vanadium, nickel, and arsenic: current knowledge and speculation. - PubMed - NCBI ;)

And a huge one.
"When heated nickel produces nickel [tetra]carbonyl" Wrong.
When nickel is heated in a carbon monoxide atmosphere nickel tetracarbonyl is produced.
Nickel tetracarbonyl is an unstable (short lived) gas that can spontaneously ignite.
Nickel tetracarbonyl is extremely toxic (LC50 3ppm for 30 mins).
If one inhaled any nickel tetracarbonyl one would become very ill very quickly, hours at most.

Regardless, vape what you are comfortable with.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I loved your post, vaka, and your waffling was just perfect. It was thoughtful, and wise. Really do appreciate the input, and I'm pretty much in the same camp as you (except this one time I went to band camp and...). I do agree it's important for all of us to get whatever information we can, then make reasonable and personal decisions. Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out!

DPL, are they here yet? How bout now. Now? Check again!!!!! :D

This is going to be a very long 4-6 weeks, isn't it? :lol:

I'll continue to look at everything vape-related this way; we ain't smokin'.

And the only reason I don't build coils is because I'm lazy. Which is precisely why I happily await the arrival of our YLB/Kabuki tanks.

volm

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
Might give titanium a go as a lot of people seem to recommend it. How do you calculate its temperature on a DNA40 (I presume you have to make an adjustment)
Some people manually adjust the temperature of titanium, for their feelings.
But I am using titanium as the Kanthal (without temp.control)

Budared

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
Budapest
Some people manually adjust the temperature of titanium, for their feelings.
But I am using titanium as the Kanthal (without temp.control)

I like the TC and no dry hits so would adjust. If there's no easy calculation (I guess there are many variables that would make this complex) then I suppose that I could just test new coils with dry cotton to find the singe temperature and drop 10-20 or so degrees below that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread