Yet another explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Was that not the exact thing I said? The only cases I have seen at work are people carrying loose batteries in their pocket. And or buying them from some seriously questionable eBay vendors because it saved them a few £' so I meant I am yet to see a case that has been as a result of correct usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad dude just seen that your comment was in reply to another poster. Sorry. [emoji847]

Reactions: Eskie

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Was that not the exact thing I said? The only cases I have seen at work are people carrying loose batteries in their pocket. And or buying them from some seriously questionable eBay vendors because it saved them a few £' so I meant I am yet to see a case that has been as a result of correct usage.

? I'm not sure what you said. I was replying to a different post.

LOL my bad I just saw your bad. :D

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
we know what is wrong... they never bother to learn about that tiny little bomb in their pocket... clouds are more cool bro!.
this is what you quoted...
The two instances I'm personally familiar with did not involve people fitting your stereotype.
Both were people over 45, one man and one woman, both using regulated mods with stock coils in Chinese tank atomizers, both vaping exclusively to not smoke, neither had any desire to clouds bro.
The thing they had in common was they were carrying loose batteries incorrectly.
really? what part of not learning did they not fit? if you're going to claim someone is wrong...

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Did you really just say very few fatalities and add the word "direct" as a qualifier so as to not sound utterly ridiculous?

There were over 4000 fatalities and over 600,000 people contaminated by Chernobyl. The environmental damage is still ongoing.

Fukishima is still leaking. Japan has lied about it since day one.
We wont know the true extent for years to come, but its on track to be the worst of them so far.

Nuclear power isnt a bad or good thing.
Its a resource that we dont understand how to use safely.

Oddly enough, Lockheed Martin, government contractor and all around shady MIC company, is developing compact fusion reactors (much safer reaction) which would/could change everything.

I didn't say that there were never any bad accidents and I did not mean to downplay Chernobyl or Fukishima. Building a nuclear power plant in a country that's near the boundary of four tectonic plates is probably a bad idea.

I used the word "directly" to try and qualify that these numbers did not include those that may end up with cancer later on. Who knows if we will ever have the final numbers.

The point that I was trying to make, and didn't spell out very well, was that compared with fossil fuels, nuclear power hasn't been worse than fossil fuels, in terms of costs, both human and environmental. As I said, I prefer solar, wind, hydro and geothermal when those are viable options.
Energy accidents - Wikipedia

Yes, Fusion reactors would be a major improvement.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Did you really just say very few fatalities and add the word "direct" as a qualifier so as to not sound utterly ridiculous?

There were over 4000 fatalities and over 600,000 people contaminated by Chernobyl. The environmental damage is still ongoing.

Fukishima is still leaking. Japan has lied about it since day one.
We wont know the true extent for years to come, but its on track to be the worst of them so far.

Nuclear power isnt a bad or good thing.
Its a resource that we dont understand how to use safely.

Oddly enough, Lockheed Martin, government contractor and all around shady MIC company, is developing compact fusion reactors (much safer reaction) which would/could change everything.

Should fusion reactors become available that actually work with more energy out than in, it would be a big step forward. But let's not forget the health effects associated with the more conventional production of electricity with coal. "Clean coal" with emission scrubbing can help, but it's far from universally implemented worldwide. Coal still kills lots of folks every year, yet we don't see the relative risks of burning coal but are greatly concerned about the risk of nuclear power.

Not saying nukes are the answer (although they certainly can take some load off, especially with modern design and implementation, just look at France) but conventional methods of electricity production with coal is hardly without risk to health.

Consider the number of people killed (none to my knowledge) or injured from Li batteries compared to smoking. Yet vaping should be banned (in the view of some like Sen. Schumer) because of the hazard and risk of explosion. Relative risk analysis is frequently ignored in favor of the spectacular events which hold the public's attention for 10 minutes.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Should fusion reactors become available that actually work with more energy out than in, it would be a big step forward. But let's not forget the health effects associated with the more conventional production of electricity with coal. "Clean coal" with emission scrubbing can help, but it's far from universally implemented worldwide. Coal still kills lots of folks every year, yet we don't see the relative risks of burning coal but are greatly concerned about the risk of nuclear power.

Not saying nukes are the answer (although they certainly can take some load off, especially with modern design and implementation, just look at France) but conventional methods of electricity production with coal is hardly without risk to health.

Consider the number of people killed (none to my knowledge) or injured from Li batteries compared to smoking. Yet vaping should be banned (in the view of some like Sen. Schumer) because of the hazard and risk of explosion. Relative risk analysis is frequently ignored in favor of the spectacular events which hold the public's attention for 10 minutes.

It obviously "works", as we have a sun.

:)

Fusion is the only safe way to utilize nuclear power.
We have known this for decades.
The only reason we havent developed it yet is politics and profit.

You think its a coincidence Lockheed Martin (one of the world's largest government contractors) is the leading developer?

;)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It obviously "works", as we have a sun.

:)

Fusion is the only safe way to utilize nuclear power.
We have known this for decades.
The only reason we havent developed it yet is politics and profit.

You think its a coincidence Lockheed Martin (one of the world's largest government contractors) is the leading developer?

;)

No guarantee it's totally safe either, although a failure will probably not affect a large area, but I'd still hate to be standing next to it. Fusion research has been ongoing for 40 years. Both US and European projects have probably soaked up $100 Billion dollar by now (not looking it up, it's probably more) and has yet to achieve a net out. Neither has Lockheed which also has no timetable on the development or release. I will respectfully disagree with your suggestion fusion is somehow being withheld for political reasons. And it's certainly not being withheld for profit as anyone who could dump a working device on the market tomorrow will make a ton of money. It's the science holding it back.

The closest we have to fusion right now with net power out is solar and wind, all derived from the sun's energy generation.:D

Reactions: DC2 and Ed_C

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
That's cute. There are a "few" processes that occur in nature that we haven't figured out how to mimic yet. We might want to do it on a somewhat smaller scale as well.

Is there anything that you don't see as a conspiracy?

What about the so called "free energy" generators?

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
My Facebook has been flooded with a recent vape explosion that happened and knocked out the dude's teeth. Of course cigarette users and vape rejecters are jumping on that opportunity to smack vaping and talk about how dangerous it is, when I'm pretty sure that he was using a bad battery in a mechanical mod with no understanding of the law of ohms or any sort of safety protocols.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i love the concept of cold fusion... but i am happy with the hydroelectric i grew up with... yes i live in ontario now, i moved here almost 12 years ago... i'm originally from BC... moving to a province that was using coal(ended) and nuclear was a big shock. thing is, there seems to be a serious lack of accountability and even attempts at self-education in vaping... those power industries for good or bad at least have some regs...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
No guarantee it's totally safe either, although a failure will probably not affect a large area, but I'd still hate to be standing next to it. Fusion research has been ongoing for 40 years. Both US and European projects have probably soaked up $100 Billion dollar by now (not looking it up, it's probably more) and has yet to achieve a net out. Neither has Lockheed which also has no timetable on the development or release. I will respectfully disagree with your suggestion fusion is somehow being withheld for political reasons. And it's certainly not being withheld for profit as anyone who could dump a working device on the market tomorrow will make a ton of money. It's the science holding it back.

The closest we have to fusion right now with net power out is solar and wind, all derived from the sun's energy generation.:D

40 years ago fusion research was publicly ridiculed as fringe science and wishful thinking, to promote "safe fission" powerplants that have sucked nations dry.
Behind the scenes the story changes.

That's cute. There are a "few" processes that occur in nature that we haven't figured out how to mimic yet. We might want to do it on a somewhat smaller scale as well.

Is there anything that you don't see as a conspiracy?

What conspiracy?
Its all public knowledge.
If you actually take the time to look farther than a 20 second google search.

FYI: nuclear fission is also a natural process so Im not sure what you are on about, but we agree, there are natural processes we dont understand how to safely control.
Which was kinda my point.

What about the so called "free energy" generators?

No such thing as "free energy".

As stated above, most likely a hoax or misinterpreted data.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
We talk and talk about battery safety
We talk and talk about not carrying batteries loose or not using a battery with a damaged wrapper
We talk and talk about knowing what you are doing
We talk and talk about not building to more than your battery will tolerate

We talk and talk about not texting while driving...nothing has stopped that either.

People don't listen. They think it doesn't apply to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread