classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Can't tell you how many times I have seen some numbskull say he is building so low and receives multiple warnings how unsafe it and they say not to worry they know what they are doing. There is an old saying about the masses and places being airports.

yep

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
We talk and talk about battery safety
We talk and talk about not carrying batteries loose or not using a battery with a damaged wrapper
We talk and talk about knowing what you are doing
We talk and talk about not building to more than your battery will tolerate

We talk and talk about not texting while driving...nothing has stopped that either.

People don't listen. They think it doesn't apply to them.
can we send them to a slowly sinking island... the ones that don't listen?

we'll talk to them about how the island is sinking and how they need to build a boat... and let nature take its course...

Reactions: Eskie

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Did you really just say very few fatalities and add the word "direct" as a qualifier so as to not sound utterly ridiculous?

There were over 4000 fatalities and over 600,000 people contaminated by Chernobyl. The environmental damage is still ongoing.

Fukishima is still leaking. Japan has lied about it since day one.
We wont know the true extent for years to come, but its on track to be the worst of them so far.

Nuclear power isnt a bad or good thing.
Its a resource that we dont understand how to use safely.

Oddly enough, Lockheed Martin, government contractor and all around shady MIC company, is developing compact fusion reactors (much safer reaction) which would/could change everything.
My question.

When is it safe to move my family in?!?!?!

Tapatyped

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
this is what you quoted...

really? what part of not learning did they not fit? if you're going to claim someone is wrong...
I believe it was the "clouds bro" portion of your statement that didn't fit the examples given. Not properly carrying your batteries has nothing to do with how big your vape cloud is.

Reactions: beckdg

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
The other place it happens which can be far worse are on mech mods that have inappropriate builds and/or tanks on them. It's like "Hey, check out this wicked 0.04 ohm build I got. Wow can it chuck clouds!. Wanna see?"

No, I don't want to see. I already know and would rather be in a different building when you fire that thing.
THE other place?

I'm betting protected batteries on 200W+ mods will be making a debut soon enough.

IF!!! They already haven't.

And let's not forget the folks who lose their ego chargers and pick up any old charger that fits.

Tapatyped

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
My question.

When is it safe to move my family in?!?!?!

Tapatyped

Ukranian scientists said it wouldnt be safe for human habitation for about. 20,000 years....
But about 180 people have moved back permanently.

They were told and told and told....
Sound familiar?

Reactions: beckdg

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Fixed that for ya. You only hear about those that don't listen. Those that do listen don't end up on the evening news.
Nope.

I don't care who you are.

There's something you've thrown caution to the wind with.

Therefore "people don't listen" is correct with no qualifiers.

And only with no qualifiers.

Otherwise you're lying to yourself.

Tapatyped

Reactions: classwife

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Nope.

I don't care who you are.

There's something you've thrown caution to the wind with.

Therefore "people don't listen" is correct with no qualifiers.

And only with no qualifiers.

Otherwise you're lying to yourself.

Tapatyped

Geez, so how about, all people don't listen to all things and some people don't listen to most things and some people are better at listening to most things? Happy now?

Reactions: Eskie

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I believe it was the "clouds bro" portion of your statement that didn't fit the examples given. Not properly carrying your batteries has nothing to do with how big your vape cloud is.
The core thing is people, any people, not treating batteries properly. If there had been a video of my one gentleman's incident it would have been a spectacle rivaling any bro's.
My folks were operating under an ignorant assumption that what they were doing was ok. Where they got that or what can be done about it I don't know, but it's the exact same ignorant assumption that a mech cloud bro drawing 70 amps out of a 20 amp battery has. It is unfair to use a stereotype to pin this on just because we happen to believe that the way we're doing it is safe. I hang out here a bit and consider myself pretty damn aware, educated and safe. Even so I know there are a few things beyond my control and There but for the grace of God go I.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
i just don't like nuclear power... but i come from a place that only uses hydroelectric, plus you know that whole 3 mile island incident... oh and that other place, you know the one, had the full meltdown? some of us remember both, there's a very valid reason for the nuclear issue and no real comparision to vaping.

oh yeah and japan... you're young kbeam, history has given some of us a living memory.

TMI wasn't exactly a disaster, it was bad but it wasn't exactly Chernobyl bad. Chernobyl didn't even have a containment building, the NRC warned the soviets that it was an unsafe design but the soviets didn't listen, the director refused to listen to his colleagues and performed a cooling test even though the reactor was un-stable. Even then only 36 people lost their lives from ARS, coal has killed more people than that. Japan was also a bad design, three reactors melted down and the spent fuel pool was evaporating. Yet only six people died and that wasn't even due to radiation!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Ukranian scientists said it wouldnt be safe for human habitation for about. 20,000 years....
But about 180 people have moved back permanently.

They were told and told and told....
Sound familiar?

[emoji38]

So prime real Estate for the grandkids, Eh?

Better get in on the ground floor.

I wonder...
At the average rate were going...
Assuming never using contaminated land...

In 20,000 years, will there be enough uncontaminated land left to support the human population?

Or air?

Or water?

I know it's not that simple. But let's be realistic, the more we become "environmentally friendly", the more we rape and contaminate the land.

And with the world population doubling every 30 to 50 years, we'll have a lot of challenges in a lot less time than that.

Won't be long before we'll need every square inch of land we can use.

Well... "long" where it pertains to the half life of any of these isotopes.

Tapatyped

Reactions: ENAUD

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Sounds like a good place to move the family to.

:blink:

Tapatyped

lol tmi-1 is still operating! Here's the thing clean energy is the future (I'm a fan of wind and solar) but the infrastructure in the US needs to evolve first. Nuclear is much cleaner than coal so that's why I like it. Okay I'm done de-railing this thread :lol:. PS I live 25 miles from a nuke plant.

Reactions: Ed_C

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
lol tmi-1 is still operating! Here's the thing clean energy is the future (I'm a fan of wind and solar) but the infrastructure in the US needs to evolve first. Nuclear is much cleaner than coal so that's why I like it. Okay I'm done de-railing this thread [emoji38]. PS I live 25 miles from a nuke plant.

Cleaner?

That's debatable.

Fukushima is currently littering the entire facility with waste water from cooling the spent reactor and there's no light at the end of the tunnel for disposing of it.

Indefinitely littering the grounds with radioactive waste isn't what I'd call cleaner.

Possibly never being able to use the land where a nuclear meltdown has occurred isn't what I'd call cleaner.

You can collapse the opening to a coal mine and build right on it.

My brother started his family within the immediate danger radius of a nuke plant in PA.

His ex-wife worked as security for them for only a couple years.

They had 2 events I was told of where rads and temp spiked for some reason.

I don't know the details.

But you won't catch me working or living there.

Tapatyped

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Cleaner?

That's debatable.

Fukushima is currently littering the entire facility with waste water from cooling the spent reactor and there's no light at the end of the tunnel for disposing of it.

Indefinitely littering the grounds with radioactive waste isn't what I'd call cleaner.

Possibly never being able to use the land where a nuclear meltdown has occurred isn't what I'd call cleaner.

You can collapse the opening to a coal mine and build right on it.

My brother started his family within the immediate danger radius of a nuke plant in PA.

His ex-wife worked as security for them for only a couple years.

They had 2 events I was told of where rads and temp spiked for some reason.

I don't know the details.

But you won't catch me working or living there.

Tapatyped

I guess those ...... at Nasa are wrong! Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Coal and gas are far more harmful than nuclear power

You ever hear of the Bhopal disaster? People TODAY are still suffering from chemicals that leached into the ground. CATF and American Lung Association claim that 13,000 people die from coal pollution. That's 361x more deaths than the worst nuclear disaster (other than Hiroshima and Nagasaki) that has happened.

Reactions: Rossum

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
lol tmi-1 is still operating! Here's the thing clean energy is the future (I'm a fan of wind and solar) but the infrastructure in the US needs to evolve first. Nuclear is much cleaner than coal so that's why I like it. Okay I'm done de-railing this thread :lol:. PS I live 25 miles from a nuke plant.

Did you just say nuclear is cleaner than coal?

Remind me of the time a coal plant melted down and left an area and I quote "unfit for human habitation for 20,000 years"?

Cleaner in a theory maybe, but no its not even close.
We wont know the extent of Fukishima for years to come. Its still leaking. They cant fix it.
They just recapped Chernobyl last year because the old "fix" started crumbling.

When nuclear goes bad is goes bad for everyone and everything and stays that way for a very very long time.

That said, Im not against it. I think sticking a powerplant in a heavily populated area, or on an island with 1,000 year old stone warnings not to build stuff because of tsunamis and earthquakes is magnanimously stupid due to our poor history using it.
I prefer learning from our mistakes rather than repeating them.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I guess those ...... at Nasa are wrong! Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Coal and gas are far more harmful than nuclear power

You ever hear of the Bhopal disaster? People TODAY are still suffering from chemicals that leached into the ground. CATF and American Lung Association claim that 13,000 people die from coal pollution. That's 361x more deaths than the worst nuclear disaster (other than Hiroshima and Nagasaki) that has happened.

The problem is how it's defined.

Every nuclear disaster leaves the land uninhabitable for the foreseeable future.

Also adjusting your expectations in favor of one over the other isn't helping.

Include Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Include all other nuclear weapons to be used in the near future.

Include the results of nuclear testing.

They're all byproducts of nuclear energy.

Include the fact that nuclear power plants are just now nearing the age where they're likely to fail and that we've not seen the worst that can happen despite hundreds of startup companies headed by brilliant nuclear physicists are vying for the rights to implement they're brilliantly simplistic safe guards.

Let us not forget Bill Gates and his cronies putting a bottomless budget into the plant they're planning on opening over seas as their proof of concept.

These fossil fuels fueled the country in a time of physical labor, little knowledge and great risk.

And they did it with no help from modern technology and energy sources.

Nuclear never had that plight.

It started with checks, balances and tons of scrutiny.

Fossil fuels held their own for an eternity by themselves with everything on their back in the "just get it done" Era.

Of course they weren't as safe or clean as they could be.

And of course with growing demand, super geniuses at NASA are pushing for far more energy from a single source.

Though, I've never known someone at that intelligence level that could see the obvious under their nose.

And land that can never be used again is obvious and final.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread