Yet Another Formaldehyde Study (this time from Enthalpy labs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Enthalpy labs produced a study that was just published in the March 2016 edition of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. Much like the study I talked about a few days ago (thread is below this one) they tested devices at various wattages and recorded aldehyde formation at each. The difference in this study and that one is they used 4 different tanks (with different resistance coils) instead of just one Kayfun.

Their results seem pretty in line with the previous study, though. Acrolein levels were low to ND with most all of the tanks. Formaldehyde levels were generally higher than acetaldehyde and acrolein levels across the board. And the aldehyde production depended upon the power level applied.

The interesting aspect of the study is they found that the old CE4 clearomizers released more aldehydes at 10W than a subtank does at 25W (far more in fact). I believe it was something like a 750 fold difference. For instance, at 9 watts the CE4 produced 51 µg of formaldehyde per puff while the subtank (at 25W) produced 0.34 µg per puff.

Reactions: gin828

ChuckMichigan

Apr 17, 2016
Michigan, USA
Enthalpy labs produced a study that was just published in the March 2016 edition of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. Much like the study I talked about a few days ago (thread is below this one) they tested devices at various wattages and recorded aldehyde formation at each. The difference in this study and that one is they used 4 different tanks (with different resistance coils) instead of just one Kayfun.

Their results seem pretty in line with the previous study, though. Acrolein levels were low to ND with most all of the tanks. Formaldehyde levels were generally higher than acetaldehyde and acrolein levels across the board. And the aldehyde production depended upon the power level applied.

The interesting aspect of the study is they found that the old CE4 clearomizers released more aldehydes at 10W than a subtank does at 25W (far more in fact). I believe it was something like a 750 fold difference. For instance, at 9 watts the CE4 produced 51 µg of formaldehyde per puff while the subtank (at 25W) produced 0.34 µg per puff.
Good article. Thanks for sharing. These researchers have common sense and collected good data.

ChuckMichigan

Apr 17, 2016
Michigan, USA
The paper mentions that the coil temperature was not measured in this study. I am confident that they would find that cases where high levels of by-products were formed (by partial combustion - air oxidation) the coil temperature was significantly higher than "normal operation". A friend and I did measure experimental coil temperatures in several situations and found the temperature was surprisingly low when the wick did not dry out under the energy conditions chosen. I hope the attached PDF is educational

Attachments

• If the wick is brown do not accept it! Gartner.pdf
    801.2 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread