RDA yet another n00b seeking recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Salutations!

Have decided I'd like to obtain my first RDA. Am not interested in clouds, or in sub-ohming - just flavour and simplicity.

Ordinarily, I use 650 mAh ego batteries, with Kanger mini-pro tanks or Davide mini-tanks. Mostly, my coils are between 1.8 - 2.2 ohms. I've been happy with this setup for nearly two years now, and it took about a year to arrive there. Whilst it was fun, I do not hugely relish the idea of a similar chase for an RDA setup.

I hate to make threads seeking information that has probably been given out a hundred times before, but my concentration is genuinely awful due to medication, and my head is just blanking when I peruse this forum.

Are there any decent RDAs which are both inexpensive and easy to use, which can be used with ego batteries?

Many thanks in advance,

X

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
There are lots of videos on youtube of people using RDAs on egos. Its not something i would personally do, but you can. You could get something like the hobbit RDA, some 30-32g wire cotton and an ohm. Wrap a 1.5- 1.8 single coil and give her hell. The hobbit is 17mm so should look bad with the thread cover. Total this could run you as little as $28

Just be safe and dont go below 1.4ohms. From the videos ive seen it looks like a decent vape especially for what it is.

EDIT: have you tried rebuilding your PT and Davide coils yet? That might be a better place to start and its really easy.

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
http://www.myvaporstore.com/SMOKTech-RDA-Rebuildable-Atomizer-p/sm-rda.htm

That will also sit flush on an ego battery. There is a video on youtube 3rd one down when you search RDA on Ego of a guy using 1 on an ego twist and it is producing some nice vapor.

This actually intriguea me to go buy a ego twist and 1 of those to use with a higher nic tobacco juice for when im craving a smoke. After 7 months im sadly still a dual user.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Yes, you can use a dripping atomizer on an ego-style battery. I did it early in my vaping journey, but you have to be careful. Understand Ohm's Law, and get an ohm meter to check the resistance of the coil you mount on the RDA. There is NO difference between vaping an RDA with a 1.8 ohm coils and using a pre-built 1.8 ohm coil in an atomizer. Either can be used safely on an ego battery.

If you want a nice, sturdy RDA that won't break the bank, get a Youde Igo-L or Igo-W. The L model is a single coil and the W accepts dual coils (not recommended for an ego battery). The W can be used safely with a single coil. Either can easily be found under 15 bucks. I have had several for over 1-1/2 years and still use them.

Just want to add that both of the Igo RDAs have a tight draw, and are best for mouth-to-lung hits, not direct lung inhales.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Salutations!

Have decided I'd like to obtain my first RDA. Am not interested in clouds, or in sub-ohming - just flavour and simplicity.

Ordinarily, I use 650 mAh ego batteries, with Kanger mini-pro tanks or Davide mini-tanks. Mostly, my coils are between 1.8 - 2.2 ohms. I've been happy with this setup for nearly two years now, and it took about a year to arrive there. Whilst it was fun, I do not hugely relish the idea of a similar chase for an RDA setup.

I hate to make threads seeking information that has probably been given out a hundred times before, but my concentration is genuinely awful due to medication, and my head is just blanking when I peruse this forum.

Are there any decent RDAs which are both inexpensive and easy to use, which can be used with ego batteries?

Many thanks in advance,

X

Yep! Because you can build the type of higher-resistance coil you prefer, and that battery can support that type of coil. It took me a year of vaping to find an RDA I really *love* because I'm a higher-resistance, lower-wattage vaper; I've been using Kayfuns for almost a year now, building a coil for it around the 1.6-1.8 ohm range. In February this year, I got my 3rd RDA, a Magma -- the first 2 I got, the Caterpillar was too airy, and the Igo-S to small for much other than just tasting. But the magma's flavor, simplicity, and deep well make it a real winner -- it also has *highly* adjustable airflow, all the way from 1 2mm airhole to using 2, in sizes much larger though I don't know what they are -- I use the single 2mm airflow hole, and it gives me a nice mouth-to-lung hit; it can be kinda warm, just because there's no chimney separating your mouth from close proximity to that hot coil, so a longer than usual, or angled driptip is a good idea -- I use my swivel "knucklehead" driptip with my magma, and get no hot spats of ejuice.

I got my tobeco-clone magma from eciggity.com, for $18.99; fantastic shipping, from Hawaii -- regular ol 1st class, 3 days to metro Atlanta. I also just got a Veritas clone (tobeco) from them, but I'm still trying to figure it out, what coil arrangement works best. So far I like it, but it's more "RDA-ish" than the magma, a bit more open, so I'm also trying to get the airflow *just right* for the type of vaping I do.

Andria

ETA: Using 30ga AWG kanthal wire, 7 or 8 wraps around a 3/32 drillbit will land you in the 1.9-2.0 ohm range -- that small battery won't last too long at that resistance, but it will work, and won't be dangerous. And I think you would like the Magma so much, it would give you incentive to upgrade to a more powerful battery. :D

Last edited:

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Oooh, lots of exciting information. Thank you all :)

I do build my own coils with the assistance an ohmmeter, though I do not entirely trust the readings, as they seem to fluctuate wildly with any given coil. Am not too hot at it yet, so you are right that I might be better practicing those before exploring RDA land.

Am glad to hear that some of the RDAs mentioned are best for mouth to lung inhales - I can't imagine going straight to lung, especially with the cloudy setups.

Annnd, I do love long drip tips, or even churchwardens. If nothing else, the churchwardens are magic for vaping in the bath ;)

Shall scope out all of the models you have suggested - some of the names definitely seem familiar from looking at my favourite suppliers, but are out of stock just now. Probably is not a bad thing given the amount I've spent on new flavours in the past half hour. Eeek.

Thank you again :)

X

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012

I do build my own coils with the assistance an ohmmeter, though I do not entirely trust the readings, as they seem to fluctuate wildly with any given coil. Am not too hot at it yet, so you are right that I might be better practicing those before exploring RDA land.

Am glad to hear that some of the RDAs mentioned are best for mouth to lung inhales - I can't imagine going straight to lung, especially with the cloudy setups.

Annnd, I do love long drip tips, or even churchwardens. If nothing else, the churchwardens are magic for vaping in the bath ;)

Shall scope out all of the models you have suggested - some of the names definitely seem familiar from looking at my favourite suppliers, but are out of stock just now. Probably is not a bad thing given the amount I've spent on new flavours in the past half hour. Eeek.

X

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

X

If you see a fluctuating reading, there's a loose connection somewhere -- if the 510 screw in my ehpro kayfun gets loose, the positive terminal, to which the coil is mounted, gets loose, and I see a lot of wildly fluctuating readings as that base wiggles around. Or, depending on the type of heads you're working on, there could be a short with part of the coil touching some part of the head it's not supposed to.

But if you have an ohm meter (and use it), that's half the battle right there, along with knowing what your battery can deliver in terms of amps, the whole ohm's law thing -- I don't do math if I can help it, but this: Steam Engine | free vaping calculators is a godsend; it will tell you what any given resistance will need in terms of amps (the "current" or "I" -- on the other side, you see the "A"); it's also a coiler's best friend, figuring out how many wraps of what weight wire around what size diameter to arrive at a selected resistance. I couldn't do coils without it.

I can't lung-inhale anything except my asthma inhaler, unless I want to cough up 1.5 lungs. :D But the magma is really a *flavor* atty, so yeah, it's great for mouth-to-lung. When I first got it, I had to make a slight adjustment, it's just a bit more open, using the 2mm single air hole, than the airflow setting I was using on my kayfuns, but it's a very minor difference and I got used to it quickly, so much so that I then opened the airflow slightly on my kayfuns; now I can tell very little difference in the quality of the vape from the magma to the kayfuns, and most will tell you that kayfuns provide amazing flavor -- they really do!

Andria

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
It is true that a loose screw will cause fluctuations in an ohm meter reading, but it can also be the meter.

You didn't sat what type of meter you are using, but if you are using a meter from Harbor Freight, or some other hand held meter with leads, you will get fluctuations due to the poor resolution of the meter. These cheaper meter are not designed to read the low resistances that we vapers are using on our coils. Using a little black box type meter with a 510 connection is more accurate (IMO and in my experience) and much better suited for building RDAs.

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Thank you both for all the excellent advice.

Got my meter out last night, for the first time in ages, and managed to build a few coils no bother. It is the first time I've made them without other people watching, so am attributing that to being more relaxed.

It is a little black box, 510 connector thingy from Sigelei. It is still a bit wibbly wobbly, due to my technique, but accurate enough to know whether a given coil will be safe or not.

Thank you again for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread