Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahomey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Illinois
Hi,

I'm new and need to ask a question about buying e-cig starter kit. I've done quite a bit of research on the two that I'm considering: Kanger Evod Starter Kit OR E-Max Starter Kit? I like them both for different reasons. I'm just hoping for a more experienced opinion on the two.

Thank for your responses and I'm sooo glad this forum is available! :)

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Everyone starter kit has something different in it so without knowing whose starter kit (who is the vendor) you are looking at it's hard to give you any advise. In case I don't get back to this thread (there are a lot of "sales" right now) here is what I recommend to new vapers:

Hardware

Variable v/w (twist/spinner) is usually recommended over a "non variable v/w" battery. It allows you to adjust your settings to get a better "vape". Some flavors taste better at higher voltages than 3.7v

1. joyetech Ego-C Twist
2. Vision Spinner
3. Innokin iTaste vv v3
4. Innokin iTaste MVP v2

The first 3 are fall into the "ego style" category of battery (with variable voltage). They range in size from 600mah to 1300mah. The higher the mah the longer the battery will last between charging. The 4th one is a step up from an "ego style" battery in that it is a smaller box mod with a very big battery (2600mah). It will last many vapers a whole day before it needs recharging. It is probably one of the most popular batteries for someone upgrading from an "ego style" battery. Some vapers choose to buy one "ego style" battery as a backup and also purchase the MVP for their main battery.

I suggest buying only name brand Joyetech Twist or Vision Spinner ego batteries. BTW, "ego" is merely a type of battery, not a brand name. Buying "generic" ego batteries is always going to be hit or miss...mostly miss.

You will need to purchase a tank (the juice attachment) with the first three on the above list. The mini Nautillus, mini Aerotank or regular size Aerotank (all made of glass & all have adjustable airflow control) are very popular. The MVP Kit comes with a tank but it is not glass.

I have used both the mini Protank & the Protank v2 and have added the aircontrol base to them when Kanger first came out with the Aerotanks. I also have the Nautilus and have purchased the new BVC's (bottom vertical coils). They both work well, but the Nautilus does give better flavor over the "stock coils" that my Protanks use. However I do "rebuild and re-wick" all my single Kanger coils when they no longer work. That does help in the flavor department.

Why would you want a glass tank (you may be thinking to yourself)? Here is a great resource regarding "tank cracking" eliquid by ECF member Baditude: Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Make sure to open all his links! Two of those links are:

* A blog post by ECF member The Ocelot titled "EEEKKK it's Melting".
* A "HUGE" list of juice and flavorings that may cause problems as far as cracking, fogging, or etching polycarbonate tanks (compiled by ECF member my4jewels).

catsitter

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2014
Massapequa Park, NY, USA
And, of course, make sure you have back-ups for everything. Maybe even back-ups for your back-ups. It can be way too easy to slip back to cigarettes if a tank breaks, or a battery goes dead without another ready to take its place, etc., etc. Having the extras is just sort of a little added insurance to help keep you away... Best of luck with your journey and have fun with it!

LondonGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
London, UK
Personally I use Evods and get on well with them. I would recommend the Evod starter kit. The batteries are compatible with most other toppers if you decide to try something else later.

To be honest it's useful to have plenty of spares, and it wouldn't go to waste if you decided to buy both.

If you're looking to save money compared to the cost of cigarettes, you can definitely do that by vaping instead, but it can take a little while to find what works best for you, so don't expect to save any money for the first month while you get everything you need. After that though, the cost comes down.

pbxbelmar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2014
Buried in books
I started with an Innokin 650 mAh pass-through battery kit. Came with 2 iClear 16's and 2 free juices as well as the case for $40 here in NJ. Mt Baker vapor has a nicer kit but don't see the case with that.

Grew out of that quickly, and wanted glass tanks (see Susan-S above!) so I moved on to the iTaste vv3. Also a pass through - which I LOVE - and is also a variable voltage/wattage device with a stronger battery. Got some Aspire bdc glass tanks to go with it and now have the new bvc coils in them. If I had known about the iTaste before I got the basic starter kit I could have saved the $40. Live and learn...lol The iTaste works with my little iClears too, so I still use them for juices that I like to switch to once and a while, but the Aspire Mini holds my all day vape juice.

Don't know what your budget is but the best thing I've done so far is to get the eLeaf iStick. Variable voltage/wattage, heavy duty battery lasts all day long, will power nicer tanks and pumps out great flavor from the Aspire mini. It also has a pass-through charger capability which, for me, is terrific. No battery chargers or batteries to deal with and since I spend a lot of time on the computer I never have to worry about the battery going dead and facing cig cravings because my device is charging.

Good luck, and don't rush your first kit buy. I'm sure you will be able to narrow it down with all the experienced help offered here!

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hi,

I'm new and need to ask a question about buying e-cig starter kit. I've done quite a bit of research on the two that I'm considering: Kanger Evod Starter Kit OR E-Max Starter Kit? I like them both for different reasons. I'm just hoping for a more experienced opinion on the two.

Thank for your responses and I'm sooo glad this forum is available! :)

I know not much about the E-Max kit but do like Kanger a great deal. Before I moved up to a more "advanced" widget, the Evod had become my favorite. Hard to describe but they have a nice "air flow" to them. And they're very easy to fill, clean, and maintain. The "coil head"--the tiny heater that vaporizes the juice--is dead easy to replace. Old one screws out, new one screws in. Simple. And replacing coils is part of the vape thing. Since the coil heats up and cools down repeatedly as you vape, they do wear out and need replacing.

Even after I upgraded, I kept my Evod set up as a "back up" in case something went haywire. The rest of the widgets I'd accumulated were given away. The Evods are still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread