YIHI SX550J G Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Well, I installed it because I used the on device charging. I dont know who started the rumour that on device charging was bad, perhaps when it was first offered it was unsafe but today, its just fine and the algorithms are actually better than many lower end batter chargers. Plus, its super convenient.

I see no reason not to use this firmware, once again, Yihi has dropped the ball on documenting the process. The software should anticipate what will happen and automate this a bit. The user should never see an error message on their device without expecting it, as was the case with me. The only reason it is documented now on their website is because I addressed it. It was not there before I addressed it.

Reactions: Hyperspace

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
Well, I installed it because I used the on device charging. I dont know who started the rumour that on device charging was bad, perhaps when it was first offered it was unsafe but today, its just fine and the algorithms are actually better than many lower end batter chargers. Plus, its super convenient.

I see no reason not to use this firmware, once again, Yihi has dropped the ball on documenting the process. The software should anticipate what will happen and automate this a bit. The user should never see an error message on their device without expecting it, as was the case with me. The only reason it is documented now on their website is because I addressed it. It was not there before I addressed it.

Yeah the update works good. It's just harder to install compared to previous updates. The release version should be easier.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
If you saw the message on fb, thats me...Im trying to see if someone will mirror the download cause it is literally dial up speeds (5k per second) and I have a feeling the firmware didnt finish downloading
Oh, no there were some people that posted on another forum about it. I still haven't bothered with it, I just now got my batteries to stop draining w/ the Bluetooth thing.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Oh, no there were some people that posted on another forum about it. I still haven't bothered with it, I just now got my batteries to stop draining w/ the Bluetooth thing.

I would go ahead and install it if anything there looks like something you would benefit from. Its not difficult to install, takes about 5 minutes, just a bit tedious. Once you understand you have to remove your atty, shut down the program, unplug the usb, launch the software, plug in the usb, go to connect, then go to upgrade, it works fine. You just have to do this twice, which, is already obnoxious considering doing it once is already tedious enough.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Yeah maybe I will tonight, I still don't know for sure if I permanently fixed the battery draining so I'm kinda afraid to do anything to it.

The previous owner had a bunch of the paint peel off so I'm thinking this weekend I'll strip it and put a clear coat on it, do the update then maybe sell it if that turns out well. My gf is still using it so it's up to her pretty much.

Reactions: ShowerHead

ndb70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2014
Florence, Italy
Apparently they removed the download of the 6.6 fw... There's no "rar" button anymore, only a description of the fw and the announcement about the "proper" release to be made available on June 10th... Since I'd like to upgrade _now_ to see if it solves the charging issues and battery drain problems, does anybody have a link to that 6.6 fw?
Thanks..

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
hum, I've been reading posts about the horrors of getting drivers, software, and updates installed. Started reading these type of posts when the M class came out, read them when the ML class came out, read them when the Q class came out, and now the G class....

I post this so Yihi may take notice and fix this for their customers.... other devices don't have these ever persistent poorly designed download and installation processes.

Good luck to all Yihi folks as I truly hope it gets fixed before the next class of device comes out from Yihi.

access0denied

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2015
Apparently they removed the download of the 6.6 fw... There's no "rar" button anymore, only a description of the fw and the announcement about the "proper" release to be made available on June 10th... Since I'd like to upgrade _now_ to see if it solves the charging issues and battery drain problems, does anybody have a link to that 6.6 fw?
Thanks..

Odd. What was the battery drain issue/charging issue? My battery life amazing imo. Before and after the lastest firmware.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Odd. What was the battery drain issue/charging issue? My battery life amazing imo. Before and after the lastest firmware.

I dont know about the battery drain issue, it was a charging issue. It wasnt consistent, however, on a few occasions, I would plug in to charge the device did not detect that it was plugged in and never charge, or, it would only charge partially. Since the firmware on the previous version did not light the display the first time you plugged in the device, you never knew whether it was actually charging unless you plugged in, immediately unplugged, then plugged back in. Now the display lights up with an indicator the first time you plug in.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Thanks..

YIHI G 20170519 Driver and 5.5 & 6.6 firmware.zip

Password is ECF (all caps)

I zipped up the 05192017 driver (you MUST install this, you cant install with the previous version, there is a two step process and the old version will not allow you to perform the second step). Also included is the 5.5 and 6.6 firmware updates, in case you need to roll back.

Follow these directions explicitly, otherwise, you will have issues.

After you have installed the SXI software...

Make sure the SXI software is closed and your device is unplugged.

Unscrew your atty. Launch SXI software. Plug in your G class. Go to connect in the SXI software and make sure it sees the device as connected. If yes, go to upgrade, click the upgrade button. It will say you need to select a file. Point it to the 6.6 firmware update (this is the file that is 4 mb in size, should say 6600 in the file name). Click update again.

Once the update completes, your device will say Update UI....

Unplug your device and close the SXI software.

Launch SXI software. Plug in your G class. Go to connect in the SXI software and make sure it sees the device as connected. If yes, go to upgrade, click the upgrade system button. Point it to the 6.6 firmware update (yes, we have to do this a second time). Click upgrade system. This second update will take significantly longer.

If you have any issues, included is the 5.5 firmware, I do not know if you can simply roll back once 6.6 is installed. I do know that if you have any issues prior to the second part of the update process (where it says update ui), you can roll back.

Last edited:
Reactions: VapNMirrors

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK

I zipped up the 05192017 driver (you MUST install this, you cant install with the previous version, there is a two step process and the old version will not allow you to perform the second step). Also included is the 5.5 and 6.6 firmware updates, in case you need to roll back.

Follow these directions explicitly, otherwise, you will have issues.

After you have installed the SXI software...

Make sure the SXI software is closed and your device is unplugged.

Unscrew your atty. Launch SXI software. Plug in your G class. Go to connect in the SXI software and make sure it sees the device as connected. If yes, go to upgrade, click the upgrade button. It will say you need to select a file. Point it to the 6.6 firmware update (this is the file that is 4 mb in size, should say 6600 in the file name). Click update again.

Once the update completes, your device will say Update UI....

Unplug your device and close the SXI software.

Launch SXI software. Plug in your G class. Go to connect in the SXI software and make sure it sees the device as connected. If yes, go to upgrade, click the upgrade system button. Point it to the 6.6 firmware update (yes, we have to do this a second time). Click upgrade system. This second update will take significantly longer.

If you have any issues, included is the 5.5 firmware, I do not know if you can simply roll back once 6.6 is installed. I do know that if you have any issues prior to the second part of the update process (where it says update ui), you can roll back.

Thank you for making the firmware available - but the archive is password protected?

ndb70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2014
Florence, Italy

Well, after leaving my G class for almost a week unused (idle, not completely switched off, which I now realize is what I should have done instead) with 2 authentic Sony vtc5s @75% (I was out for work and couldn't bring it with me), that is what I found on my return:
  • 1 battery was completely "erased", dead-short, kaput. External charger or multimeter can't even measure a fraction of a volt.
  • The other was at a whopping 1.9V, which I'm not even sure if I will be able to recover from.
Don't know what to think, one of them might have been a dud and cause this train wreck? Maybe, but both batteries were married and in use since without problems since last February, just not in the G-class. I started using them in the G-class about one month ago, always recharged externally, but this was the first the time I left them unused for so long.

ndb70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2014
Florence, Italy

Thank you for making the firmware available - but the archive is password protected?

Yep, same thing here.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, but it seems like you archived with a password...
I re-read your post but I couldn't find any mention it, so I assume this just happened by mistake, hope you can either share the pwd or re-archive without it

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
hum, I've been reading posts about the horrors of getting drivers, software, and updates installed. Started reading these type of posts when the M class came out, read them when the ML class came out, read them when the Q class came out, and now the G class....

I post this so Yihi may take notice and fix this for their customers.... other devices don't have these ever persistent poorly designed download and installation processes.

Good luck to all Yihi folks as I truly hope it gets fixed before the next class of device comes out from Yihi.
Yeah, Yihi needs to get there shiit together but dna peeps need to get there superiority complex in check. I own 5 dna mods, 2 of which I really like. Evolv really needs to get a proper power mode preheat LIKE EVERY NEARLY EVERY OTHER DEVICE OUT THERE! If not then I would appreciate dna snobs S..T..F..U

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Yeah, Yihi needs to get there shiit together but dna peeps need to get there superiority complex in check. I own 5 dna mods, 2 of which I really like. Evolv really needs to get a proper power mode preheat LIKE EVERY NEARLY EVERY OTHER DEVICE OUT THERE! If not then I would appreciate dna snobs S..T..F..U

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

So, this is your reply to my post of which I said:
[hum, I've been reading posts about the horrors of getting drivers, software, and updates installed. Started reading these type of posts when the M class came out, read them when the ML class came out, read them when the Q class came out, and now the G class....

Good luck to all Yihi folks as I truly hope it gets fixed before the next class of device comes out from Yihi.]

You use the Yihi thread to personally attack someone who is only stating a fact and hoping Yihi reads it. Nothing in my post was out of line. I hesitate to discuss DNA technology in this Yihi thread but you brought it up. You have a valid thought about the power mode preheat of Kanthal except that the DNA's are made with safety in mind thus Temp Protection is the main thrust of the DNA. You are aware of the workaround for those who want preheat for Kanthal, I assume, but you failed to mention. The rest of your post is repulsive and over-the-top....

Now back to talking about Yihi :

By the way, many folks here have complained about the difficulty I spoke of and that was the reason for my post and the focus of my post... Are you going to attack them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread