Onedesign1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
M Class sneak peek update :)

dry coil no liquid.jpg

jefferskn

Jan 27, 2014
La Crosse, WI
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a SX350mini board on Varitube but can't find anywhere what the tip polarity is on the 9V balance charger. Yihi's website doesn't have any specs on it at all. The only thing I can find is 9V 1A 3.5mm but I can't order a wall adapter without knowing the tip polarity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I posted here instead of messaging Onedesign1 directly so other people can see this info as well.

jefferskn

Jan 27, 2014
La Crosse, WI
Hi Jefferskn......center pin is positive. Alternately you can easily see solder pads if you wanted to use a different DC jack to mount someplace else and tap off the existing connector.

Thank you for the quick reply on the charger board. I placed my SXmini board order this morning. I think I will wait till I get the board to decide how I will use it. I just needed to know the polarity of the existing jack in case I decided to use it. Thanks again.

jefferskn

Jan 27, 2014
La Crosse, WI
I just finished building my first mod. An SX-Mini with two 18605's in series. A 16mm fire button, C&K tact switches, FDV V4 510 connection and a Keystone sled. I built it all in a pre-painted 1590B Hammond box. I also used the included Yihi balance charging board which works great and definitely shuts down charging one battery once it's charged and finishes charging the other. The only issue I had was getting epoxy into the micro USB connection and ruining it. I need to find another micro usb to solder in. I cut out a hole for it in the bottom of the mod. It was the only place it would fit after using the balance charging board. Here are some pics of the finished mod.

2015-03-19 16.32.58.jpg
2015-03-19 16.33.39.jpg
2015-03-19 16.33.58.jpg
2015-03-19 16.29.47-2.jpg
2015-03-19 16.32.06.jpg

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Tax returns arrived Saturday, which is what I was waiting for, so I placed my pre-order for the M-class. Nice to have additional color options, but the grey/silver drew me to the S-class, and I still like that color combination. With such a late pre-order, think you'll have enough to ship in the first round?

Now, just have to decide what to do with the S-class.
  • Keep it as a backup
  • Wait to see if YiHi release temp limiting firmware to play with it
  • Get a J-board and upgrade it
  • Sell it and recover most of the cost of the new one

PS - With the new curved sides, I wonder if/how J-Wraps will come up with a wrap. You almost need shrinkwrap with some of these new mods coming out lately.

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
Tax returns arrived Saturday, which is what I was waiting for, so I placed my pre-order for the M-class. Nice to have additional color options, but the grey/silver drew me to the S-class, and I still like that color combination. With such a late pre-order, think you'll have enough to ship in the first round?

Now, just have to decide what to do with the S-class.
  • Keep it as a backup
  • Wait to see if YiHi release temp limiting firmware to play with it
  • Get a J-board and upgrade it
  • Sell it and recover most of the cost of the new one

PS - With the new curved sides, I wonder if/how J-Wraps will come up with a wrap. You almost need shrinkwrap with some of these new mods coming out lately.

The m class has the J chip in it already

Sent from the Truck O Shop

jefferskn

Jan 27, 2014
La Crosse, WI
Has anybody with an SXmini experiencing random button locks? The random button locks seem to be getting worse for me. I can be vaping with the button held down and all of a sudden it stops and I look at the screen and the lock symbol is there. I click three times and it's unlocked and I'm good to go again. It's completely random. I am definitely not clicking 3 time to lock the screen. Also, does anybody have any ideas on where I could get a replacement micro usb board for the SXmini? I bought the board from Varitube and built my own mod in a hammond 1590B box.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Has anybody with an SXmini experiencing random button locks?

I haven't, but any click-style button has a fine point immediately after the click and before the button makes contact. You could be pressing at just the right pressure to barely make contact with the circuit board, which can initiate many "clicks" in half a second. It's one trick I use on my alarm clock when I need to go from 00 to 45.

If you ARE pressing fairly hard (enough to make solid contact with the circuit board, after the click), then the contacts could be dirty, which would cause the same problem. Possibly juice got in there? I haven't disassembled one yet to see if you can take the switch apart, but if you can, there'll be a rubber button (don't use alcohol, or anything that would leave a film), and a |||| pattern on the circuit board where the conductive rubber part of the button makes contact. You can use denatured alcohol (no water), or a pen eraser (abrasive, cleans off buildup on the contacts).

Also, does anybody have any ideas on where I could get a replacement micro usb board for the SXmini? I bought the board from Varitube and built my own mod in a hammond 1590B box.

I was going to point you to VariTube's site for a board, but then I read more carefully ;) What's wrong with the USB board? Is it no longer charging? The electronics are probably fine, but what's likely happened is the solder joints that hold the USB port to the circuit board have broken. Without magnification, it can be difficult to see the hairline cracks. We call that a "cold solder joint". The fix is simple - re-melt the solder points, and add a little more solder to make it stronger while you're at it.

jefferskn

Jan 27, 2014
La Crosse, WI
I haven't, but any click-style button has a fine point immediately after the click and before the button makes contact. You could be pressing at just the right pressure to barely make contact with the circuit board, which can initiate many "clicks" in half a second. It's one trick I use on my alarm clock when I need to go from 00 to 45.

If you ARE pressing fairly hard (enough to make solid contact with the circuit board, after the click), then the contacts could be dirty, which would cause the same problem. Possibly juice got in there? I haven't disassembled one yet to see if you can take the switch apart, but if you can, there'll be a rubber button (don't use alcohol, or anything that would leave a film), and a |||| pattern on the circuit board where the conductive rubber part of the button makes contact. You can use denatured alcohol (no water), or a pen eraser (abrasive, cleans off buildup on the contacts).

I was going to point you to VariTube's site for a board, but then I read more carefully ;) What's wrong with the USB board? Is it no longer charging? The electronics are probably fine, but what's likely happened is the solder joints that hold the USB port to the circuit board have broken. Without magnification, it can be difficult to see the hairline cracks. We call that a "cold solder joint". The fix is simple - re-melt the solder points, and add a little more solder to make it stronger while you're at it.

I actually built my SXmini mod using the SXmini board from Varititube. The buttons are not soldered to the board. I am using a 16mm stainless button that I soldered the wires to. I need a new micro USB board because I got epoxy inside the jack when trying to glue it in my Hammond box. It's my screw up but still doesn't change the fact that I need a new board. I tried to pick the epoxy out but it's just too hard and I ended up damaging the little piece with the electrical contacts on it inside the micro usb jack. I have seen a few 4 conductor micro usb boards with the jack already soldered on there but they are missing the two little electrical components on them. The replacement usb board on Varitube's website is completely different then the one on the SXmini. I went to Yihi already and they basically refused to help me. All they could reply to me was that they didn't sell the board separately and I should buy an entire new SXmini board. I tried asking if the SX350 35w board would work but they would not respond to that question. So I am hoping there are some electrical gurus out there that can help advise me on this.

2015-03-19 16.32.58.jpg
2015-03-19 16.33.39.jpg
2015-04-02 20.16.59.jpg
2015-04-02 20.19.00.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread