You can lead a horse to water

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Anyone know if there are any brick and mortar vape shops that sell Reos anywhere? My local shop just sells egos and other tube mods.

CATastrophe and I are trying to get our local B&M (Rocky Top Vapors) to carry one or two. There are a couple of stores that carry them, but only a couple.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I'm glad I went through the other stuff first, it really let's me appreciate how good the REO really is.

If I had started with the REO I still would have assumed that there may be something better/different and just been disappointed when I spent the money.

I say let people find their own way unless they ask specifically about the REO or their needs/wants line up directly with what the REO offers.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
Lets see...

REO (blemished) $115
RM2 $43
Batteries ($22)
Wire ($10)
Spare Parts ($5)

About $200, less liquid, to get started with a single Reo. If someone is on minimum wage, that is a whole lot of money to spend on something all at once. Being cash poor can be a cycle. Even for cigs some buy a pack at a time to limit their outlay - not because they want to but be cause they have limited options to manage cash flow (whether that is real or perceived is another story).

For $25-50 someone can be up and running with a basic setup that does the job. Hard to argue with that.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Lets see...

REO (blemished) $115
RM2 $43
Batteries ($22)
Wire ($10)
Spare Parts ($5)

About $200, less liquid, to get started with a single Reo. If someone is on minimum wage, that is a whole lot of money to spend on something all at once. Being cash poor can be a cycle. Even for cigs some buy a pack at a time to limit their outlay - not because they want to but be cause they have limited options to manage cash flow (whether that is real or perceived is another story).

For $25-50 someone can be up and running with a basic setup that does the job. Hard to argue with that.

Not hard to argue at all: That basic set up is disposable, and will only charge ~250 times. While they are saving all that money by not buying a pack at a time, they can put it into a permanent PV and atty, then replace the batteries every year or so instead of every few months. It's basic economics, buy once for a lifetime or buy cheap and replace over and over.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
Not hard to argue at all: That basic set up is disposable, and will only charge ~250 times. While they are saving all that money by not buying a pack at a time, they can put it into a permanent PV and atty, then replace the batteries every year or so instead of every few months. It's basic economics, buy once for a lifetime or buy cheap and replace over and over.

The economics of it is very clear. However, when you don't have much money the economics of what you should buy gets out weighed by what you can buy. Poverty can be a vicious circle and having limited cash often means limiting what makes long term sense.

You can also say that its cheaper that buy stinkies. However, spending money on something that might work becomes a stretch. Imagine someone trying a $5 e-cig from wallies or the local cig store. It sucked. But spending $200 will make it perfect?

I work at a place with a very diverse income range. I was outside vaping on my Reo and a couple of guys asked me what the heck that was. These guys just started, probably making around $10-12 an hour. I let him try my Reo ( I keep spare tips handy) and he about choked on it. But he said I want one of those! That's way better than the others I have tried. And asked me to send him some info.

I sent him 3 options: Reo, iTaste MVP kit ($45) and offered to find him something around $25 that would work ok as well. I give him the virtues of the different options. Haven't heard back on what he did with the info though.

Having started on $25 kits (they cost more back then) they were ok. Honestly. Not nearly in the class of the Reo, but they were OK and there are better options now than when I started. Like a mechanical and clearomizer that is rebuild-able. I think the journey getting the Reo was a blast - expensive, but a blast. I know the ins and outs of the other options out there and not all of them are horrible.

Just my $.02.

Now if someone asked me whether they should get the ProVari or the Reo, the whole situation changes. Reo hands down.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
The economics of it is very clear. However, when you don't have much money the economics of what you should buy gets out weighed by what you can buy. Poverty can be a vicious circle and having limited cash often means limiting what makes long term sense.

You can also say that its cheaper that buy stinkies. However, spending money on something that might work becomes a stretch. Imagine someone trying a $5 e-cig from wallies or the local cig store. It sucked. But spending $200 will make it perfect?

I work at a place with a very diverse income range. I was outside vaping on my Reo and a couple of guys asked me what the heck that was. These guys just started, probably making around $10-12 an hour. I let him try my Reo ( I keep spare tips handy) and he about choked on it. But he said I want one of those! That's way better than the others I have tried. And asked me to send him some info.

I sent him 3 options: Reo, iTaste MVP kit ($45) and offered to find him something around $25 that would work ok as well. I give him the virtues of the different options. Haven't heard back on what he did with the info though.

Having started on $25 kits (they cost more back then) they were ok. Honestly. Not nearly in the class of the Reo, but they were OK and there are better options now than when I started. Like a mechanical and clearomizer that is rebuild-able. I think the journey getting the Reo was a blast - expensive, but a blast. I know the ins and outs of the other options out there and not all of them are horrible.

Just my $.02.

Now if someone asked me whether they should get the ProVari or the Reo, the whole situation changes. Reo hands down.

I noticed your posts changed the argument.

Obviously what you are saying is correct, but it's not really related to how I feel in regards to my OP.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa

Now I'm dead curious...can you not ask him? Without prejudice to your argument!

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
I noticed your posts changed the argument.

Obviously what you are saying is correct, but it's not really related to how I feel in regards to my OP.

Sorry about that, did not mean to go down a rabbit hole with that post. I think I am hyper-sensitive the cost since it comes up as an issue when I show people at work. I think they should go straight to a Reo but I have yet to be able to justify the price.

UncleChimney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2010
SE Pa
I don't have a Reo yet, but I can tell you some of my personal reasons why I didn't drink the water at first. At first I had very little clue as to what a bottom feeder was, yet alone a Reo. I saw people talking about Reos, but to me it looked just like an MVP or something similar, so I didn't see what all the hubbub was about. It wasn't til after I started getting into rebuilding my T3s, then Protanks which led to RDAs that I began to see the difference in taste.

I was and am still put off by the looks of the Reo. I love the looks of a box style mod, such as the Billet Box and RTV, I just think they look good, but not so much the Reo. I'm normally a big fan of simple and understated, but with the Reo I think it looks a little gaudy, at least in pics. And the finish on the Reos I feel isn't attractive, at least in pics. I'm not a fan of the 80's wrinkle look at all, and most of the pics I have seen have been of wrinkled mods. Now that I have been looking into Reos for a bit I think I would personally go for the raw aluminum one!

But the Reo makes up in function over any other mod, not just the box mods. After taking my Telescoping Natural with a micro-coiled Protank II with me everywhere I go, then getting home and dripping I can definitely see the advantages of the Reo, and they are more than enough to make up for the looks!

As superficial as it may seem, they are the reasons that I originally would never drink the water, but now that I have experienced some good vapes I'm ready to drink up. I just need to save the money or find a good deal on a Reo Grand, then I am game! The convenience, simplicity and the taste more than make up for the off-putting looks of a Reo!

Jacob

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was and am still put off by the looks of the Reo. I love the looks of a box style mod, such as the Billet Box and RTV, I just think they look good, but not so much the Reo. I'm normally a big fan of simple and understated, but with the Reo I think it looks a little gaudy, at least in pics. And the finish on the Reos I feel isn't attractive, at least in pics. I'm not a fan of the 80's wrinkle look at all, and most of the pics I have seen have been of wrinkled mods. Now that I have been looking into Reos for a bit I think I would personally go for the raw aluminum one!

I wasn't a fan of the Reo look either, but they do look better in person, at least to me. Now most of the shiny tube mods don't appeal to me anymore.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry about that, did not mean to go down a rabbit hole with that post. I think I am hyper-sensitive the cost since it comes up as an issue when I show people at work. I think they should go straight to a Reo but I have yet to be able to justify the price.

No problem. It was a fair argument. At least it allows those on tighter budgets to access a cleaner delivery system for nicotine :)

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
Thoughts,

I've seen over my time here on ecf the recommendations given to people on the various devices. I was a victim for months until I found my reos. Does anyone see this as well or is it just me?

I understand there are thousands of devices out there. But the latest craze seems to be those crappy pro tanks. Oh and a ego spinner. They aren't much better then the stuff that broke not long after me buying them back in '12.

Would it it be better to save my own sanity and just let these people find a decent vape, or peruse giving recommendations on something that actually works?
My favorite mod so far (haven't actually used a reo yet), a VHO Titan, I got even though I didn't see many videos on it because whenever I saw a crazy cloud video where the person is a fog machine, there were two things I noticed. I noticed the majority were from the Philippines (doesn't really matter where they're from, just what I noticed) and I noticed that they were using a titan/cronus. So I figured that they could stand up to some pretty serious load so I figured whatever I would end up doing would be safe. Later I also realized that they had an infamously low voltage drop which made it even better.

Anyways, I think some people like going out and finding something, they want to find the "device for them" but some people just want stuff handed to them I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread