You cannot mandate common sense and safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rks959

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2015
I see where another person is suing an e-cigarette manufacturer for damages caused by an electronic cigarette explosion.I feel as safe if not safer using an e-cigarette as smoking.I use safe batteries,not some buy one get one free 5 dollar battery.and i don't vape beyond above recommended wattage levels that are plainly displayed on information on the box or included in the packaging.I would like to see a complete investigation before the entire industry is labeled as unsafe.Just my honest opinion.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
There are 3 camps of liability with a case like this.

1) Most important - the consumer. Consumer buys a product, they better be getting on the computer and researching what they have purchased and what if any information they get from the vendor. Ultimately your safety is in your own hands, the end user, as there are products that need a heck of a lot of research to operate safely, not just common motions and notions, electronic vaporizers fall in this very category.
2) The Vendor - This here is also another issue that raises the hackles on the back of my neck. The greed of a lot of vendors. No warnings printed or such on some online vendor sites, physical vendors its almost like hearing a practiced quick spill script, do this, do this here, liquid here, close up, five clicks turn on, you vape. Very little 1 on 1 with new or inexperienced vapors with general knowledge. As a B&M employee I angle questions from the moment a customer walks in to gauge not only their experience and knowledge, but also what they are interested in. Replies and feed back I get helps me not only in the sale but what I need to impart to them if they are overly pressed for time, an hour of 1 on 1 with especially a new customer/vapor goes a long way in regards to safety but also improve their chances of quitting smoking/tobacco use. But there are owners/operators out there that have or are getting in to make a quick buck that don't do their research as well which can be a compounding factor.
3) The Manufacturer - Most manufacturers got their ducks in a row, these are pretty big companies financially, most products come with user manuals, certifications labeling and such on or in the packages. However when talking battery safety for instance, there are companies, in my opinion, that put their consumers at unnecessary risk, examples Efest, MXJO, Imren and several others by over specifying their battery capabilities that puts consumers in a false sense of safety level.

Seeing some of these case go to trial might help weed out some of these issues at the Manufacturer and Vendor levels by holding them at least partially liable, but not all liability should be taken off the Consumer's shoulders entirely, as stated above, the last line of safety and defense is mainly on the consumer's shoulders to learn to use what they buy safely and reliably.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Common sense doesn't work with stupid .

upload_2015-11-26_19-15-18.jpeg

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
If I have a headache, I take 2 Tylenols. If I have a REALLY BAD headache and take 200 Tylenols and get really sick, I am going to sue. Didn't read the directions, but poor me.

Crazy.

If clear directions are provided and the user is a bonehead, I hate how litigious people are in general if a product hurts them when they use it in a way NOT recommended or articulated in the instructions.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I buy a lawn mower and the grass is really hi and notice that the lawn mower doesnt have quite enuf power to cut the hi grass... let me try using some of this nitromethane fuel instead of gasoline... I start it up and it blows a rod into my leg when the engine disintergrates into a 100 pieces... now do you actually think I have the right to sue the vendor, maker, and who ever else? obviously not...

Reactions: Rotowoman

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
We cater to the lowest common denominator because that's where the bar is set.
From our educational system to our government.
Political correctness leads to this path.
It hinders free speech and common sense.
These things are slowly being legislated out of existence.
They celebrate a win by cheating and laugh at integrity like it's a weakness.
It's a regression of society, in order to maintain control.
We don't teach kids how to balance a budget or a checkbook in school anymore, yet we wonder why the nation is buried in debt.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
You would think that using a product contrary to operating instructions would lay the blame on the end user. However, as years pass, we seem to cater more and more to the clueless idiot.

As much as manufacturers seem to try and make their products idiot proof, we seem to simply create better idiots.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I think you mean legislate?
OHSA mandates safety. NASCAR mandates safety, but legislating it is a whole other thing.

Ya, they are trying to stop darwin-ism. Thing is, the practice of darwin-ism has controls for stopping itself that we have`nt even found out about yet, LoL. Someone is always proving the point that stupid is as stupid does. See; Leading a horse to water, ect.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think you mean legislate?
OHSA mandates safety. NASCAR mandates safety, but legislating it is a whole other thing.

Ya, they are trying to stop darwin-ism. Thing is, the practice of darwin-ism has controls for stopping itself that we have`nt even found out about yet, LoL. Someone is always proving the point that stupid is as stupid does. See; Leading a horse to water, ect.

image.jpg

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If mods are designed with proper venting, they would not explode

If fully grown adult vapers spent a few minutes actually educating themselves about primitive flashlight electronics and basic battery safety before sticking an electronic device in their mouths to get their nicotine fix we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

Let's point the finger at the obvious, and stop giving idiots a pass.

Reactions: beckdg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread