Travel and Vaping Your mileage may vary...and a few ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Didn't see this in any of the stickys but I just wanted to point out to all of you who are taking the advice on this board. In the past I have gone through security checkpoint (not in recent years, but after 2001) with a pocket knife. I forgot it in my pocket after bags were checked and quickly stuck it in my carry on before it went through the xray machine, no one said anything. So just because some people can get through security with their PV does not mean for certain that it happens with everyone. IMO it all depends on how lazy/thorough that particular agent is being at the time you go through. Are there any threads out there where people have not been permitted to have them (I'm still reading through threads)? I did read one post where someone had to throw away their batts before being allowed to continue. I read all over the TSA website of allowed items and didn't see ecigs addressed by name anywhere. If anyone has a link that does please share it.
Also, how drastic have the rules changed in the last few months? I noticed that much of the information here is from 2009/10. Aren't they being a little more strict now that ecigs have become more popular?
Another question: What is the best way to describe ecigs to security/anyone who asks? I tend to call mine a nicotine inhaler, so people aren't afraid that I'm smoking a cigarette (tends to be that if you even mention the word "cigarette" it gets lumped into the category of cancer sticks). In airports, specifically dealing with security, is it better just to say ecig since they may be more familiar with that term?

Thank you for any information :)

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Don't worry, I travel quite a bit, mostly International and have never had anything PV related taken away. Had to explain it a few times but no problem.
Having said that, it is not unusual to still hear stories of a rouge TSA agent to pull nail clippers and lighters out of carry-ons.

Last edited:

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Don't worry, I travel quite a bit, mostly International and have never had anything PV related taken away. Had to explain it a few times but no problem.
Having said that, it is not unusual to still hear stories of a rouge TSA agent to pull nail clippers and lighters out of carry-ons.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread