RDA Your most pleasant surprises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
What's an RDA or two that exceeded your low expectations? Why were they low? How did they impress you? If you knew before you got it that you'd love it, that's a story for another day.

I can think of two standouts:

The first is my Tobeco Velocity clone. I guess I wouldn't say I had the lowest expectations for it, but I had read a couple of iffy reviews (it's possible they were for another Velocity clone) and it was very inexpensive. It was also my first clone and the anti-clone brigade-- really, I happened to get input from at least a few people who were simply categorically against clones-- had me super nervous after ordering. For the price, it was really just meant for me to try out the style and to have a dripper I didn't have to worry much about in any sense. Now I use it all the time and my partner got his own because he liked mine so much. It is certainly not perfect but I am extremely happy with the performance and build quality, especially the balance between flavor and airflow/cloud producing capabilities. The biggest problem so far has been the crappy o-rings, so I bought some actually meant for the Velocity itself. The screws aren't great either so ditto, but I have yet to even have to change them since I'm using decent allen keys.

The other is the Hannya, which really seems to be a bit of a love/hate affair for most people. I scored it for $20, and similar to the velocity, had seen some less-than-favorable reviews. I mostly just wanted to try a postless RDA and figured as long as it worked, how bad could it be? The build deck is a little fiddly but there's certainly a good deal of room for a 22mm and I honestly find it to work just great. Build quality isn't the greatest but for the price I got it, no sweat. I might be singing a different tune if I didn't have the high quality 1.3mm hex driver that I had to get when my Griffin screws came to me stuck, but I do. I love any RDA with a single coil option and this is no exception... plus the airflow just works well for me.

Honorable mention would be my "Lawless Steamboat" (Tugboat V2 clone) from 101vape, but I had fairly high expectations for that. It pretty much met them but I wish the paint job were holding up better. For $17, though, eh. Whatcha gonna do.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The biggest problem so far has been the crappy o-rings, so I bought some actually meant for the Velocity itself. The screws aren't great either so ditto, but I have yet to even have to change them since I'm using decent allen keys.

What o-rings/where'd ya get 'em? The ones on mine are too thick, I think? The cap is a really tight fit and tough to get it to go on right, and the rings are getting torn up because of it.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@bwh79 to be fair, I have not tried them yet. I just assumed they'd be OK because the screws were. I haven't actually changed out the screws but did check the new ones. I just got Velocity O-rings from avidvaper. I can try them out sooner than later to let you know but my intention was for those to be backups and to leave them until I need them. The Tobeco velocity is really pretty close as far as I know, so my fingers are crossed... Also, as I mentioned, my partner also got the same Velocity clone and I think all the O-rings are the same size, so we still have a bunch from the clone packs. Again, not great o-rings, but I guess they're not so bad since we still haven't actually used them up. We're careful about how often we adjust the airflow and remove the cap, though.

Reactions: bwh79

crazyhendrix

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2016
Singapore
I tried nectar nano(a clone) for my first rda. The plastic tank doesn't seal properly and leaks. The flavor wasn't that impressive, but it was alright. I like the idea of an rda though---lesser parts/orings to break down on me. So, I ordered a Narda clone, since I'm more of a restricted DL MTL guy. The intense flavor from the Narda with a twisted 28G coil blew me away.

That's one of my favorite atty.

Nowadays, I'm usually with a kayfun mini v3 or Narda. The perfect tank and rda for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread