ZMAX Durability Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
I'm wondering how durable the Zmax is? Specifically the mini version.

I only ask because I'm actually shopping around for a mod for my brother, who is now infamous in my house for destroying 3 vv eGo's in less than a month. He is very picky about not having anything large or crazy looking but likes having the variable voltage option. So if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it!

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
If he prefers compact small devices i would suggest the MVP that is about as small a form factor(if he likes box mods) as you are going to get.Unless he wants the entire range of VV and VW,then size is basically thrown out the window.Anything you buy now is going to have the basic same features as far as VV,and VW.

EDIT: disregard this remark.

Last edited:

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
Yea I can't see him using a box mod, he laughs whenever I break mine out lol. I dunno why he's so self conscious about his PV. I actually recently picked up a telescopic mechanical mod and was planning on giving it to him with some 18350's, but after using it for the past week I'm thinking even it's too big for him. The Zmax looks to be about the size of an eGo and I know he's comfortable with that so that's why I was looking at it. But I'm concerned he's just going to bring it home in pieces in a month. I'm thinking if it's as durable as the LT v1 which I own and beat it to hell and still works then I think I might pick one up.

j0_man

Feb 23, 2013
Philippines
I have been using the SMOK Zmax (assuming that this is what you are referring to, there is another Zmax out there) for maybe 4 months or so and I have to say that it is very durable based on by drop tests (accidental drop). Have dropped it so many times, I already lost count (maybe more than 10 times). Drop height varies from 3 to 4 feet. Looking at the Zmax at arms length it still looks like it came out of the box, I bought the stainless steel mod.

On the electrical side, it is equipped with circuit protection that would protect both the atomizer and the body. There is a 10 sec cut-off time each draw. Short circuit protection and a limit on the number of Amp it pushes to the atomizer. I consider myself a moderate to heavy vaper, taking draws every few minutes within the day. In the 4 months I have been using the Zmax, I would say the it is a very durable/reliable mod.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
The Zmax is definitely not the size of an eGo. It uses 18650's which are the longest size batts there are, and close to the widest. I know it's a bit slimmer than a Provari, but i've never held one so I don't know exactly how much, but i'm sure they're at least 20mm wide, where as an eGo is 14mm wide. That may not sound like much but the difference is quite a lot when you compare the two. He may get used to it though. I remember 2 and a half years ago thinking my 510 was bulky compared to a cig, then I got my eGo and thought it was really big! Ha! Now i'm using a GGTS and a Penelope, and the GGTS is 23mm wide but I absolutely LOVE it! People's vaping preferences greatly evolve as time goes on, which i'm sure you know. I assume he hasn't vaped nearly as long as you have?

Sorry, I missed the mini part, yes it will definitely be a lot shorter, but it will still be wide! People always talk about liking 18350 mods for on the go because they're so small, but to me width is definitely more important. I would prefer a 1000mAh eGo Twist (freaking long!) in my pocket over even an 18350 Wizards Apprentice (as far as I know, the smallest 18350 there is) because the width is what is felt in the pocket, not the length! (all talking about myself, keep in mind!) Though I definitely prefer the feel of a wider mod in hand (the GGTS fits my hand perfectly!), I do NOT like it in my pocket as much. I brought my TS to work yesterday and man did it feel bulky. I could feel it there the entire time.

Last edited:

jeffjr464

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
London, Ontario, Canada
6y6etuse.jpg
all beat to hell after 3 months use, cracked screen, still works like a champ, it's been dropped in snow banks , fell out of my pocket 10 feet in the air on the side of a boxcar going about 8 mph and she's still ticking, it's nothing but a workhorse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Mine took one small fall over on my desk and the atty connector flew off, ripping the circuit board out a few mm. It shattered the two inductors on the board on the way out so it is a complete loss. It had an AGA-t on it which is a heavy atty.

The section of the top where the screen is has a very thin band of metal which has the atty connector pressed in and it can't take the stress of a side load - it will bend and pop out.

If he is really rough with his PV's then I suggest a mechanical mod which takes an 18350. It will be a bit wider than an eGo but also shorter and near indestructible.

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
Thanks for all the replies.

I've gotta confess, after reading a few stories of the Zmax's falling apart I chickened out and got him a Provari Mini. Which he seems to really like so far. And I'm happy because I know next time he brings me his gear in pieces and asks me to fix it, I just have to send it into Provape lol. It was pricey but it's a baby gift and I don't want him having to worry about his gear. Here's to hoping!

And man that telescopic Zmax looks cool, I think that might be in my personal future.

j0_man

Feb 23, 2013
Philippines
Mine took one small fall over on my desk and the atty connector flew off, ripping the circuit board out a few mm. It shattered the two inductors on the board on the way out so it is a complete loss. It had an AGA-t on it which is a heavy atty.

The section of the top where the screen is has a very thin band of metal which has the atty connector pressed in and it can't take the stress of a side load - it will bend and pop out.

If he is really rough with his PV's then I suggest a mechanical mod which takes an 18350. It will be a bit wider than an eGo but also shorter and near indestructible.

Smok or Siegel?

Also using AGA-T+ (with glass tank) which should be heavier but what you described never happened on my Smok Zmax during multiple drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread