• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Zombie plan of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to nominate Dr. Evil's plan as plan of the week!

here it ls:

monte2_small.jpg

This is Montezuma's Castle. It is only about an hour and a half drive north of Phoenix. It is an ancient Indian dwelling that has been there since the 12th century, and I'm guessing it will be there after the zombie apocalypse. It is protected from the sun and the rain and it has a sheer face that I'm guessing zombies would have a hard time climbing. Plus it's in the middle of nowhere. There is plenty of wildlife in the area as well as clean water sources. Honestly, I think I go here even if I don't win the sweepstakes with all the guns and goodies and just go with the stuff from Plan #2.

From what i seen about zombies, a standard chain link fence usually is enough to keep them at bay. It usually takes a bunch of them before they knock it over but rarely if ever do they climb it. And if they cant climb a chain link fence, i dont see them climbing the face of a mountain.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
There's Montezuma's Well somewhere near there and it's spring fed. Now if this is the actual well that coined the phrase... I don't know :D There's also a waterway right in front but it doesn't seem to be full time river. Firewood might be a little scarce for boiling so we'll have to develop some type of solar distillery to be on the safe side.

There's Montezuma's Well somewhere near there and it's spring fed. Now if this is the actual well that coined the phrase... I don't know :D There's also a waterway right in front but it doesn't seem to be full time river. Firewood might be a little scarce for boiling so we'll have to develop some type of solar distillery to be on the safe side.

Yes, it is THE Montezuma's Well, and it is on site. It is not flowing water though, so it is best boiled unless you like microbes in your agua. There are more trees in the area than you might think for fires. Especially if you go north a short distance to the Cottonwood area.

Not sure how close to the castle Montezuma's Well is, but it is definately very close to the compound. It is a natural limestone sink fed by artesian springs. It has been there as long as the structure, probably longer. The water is so plentiful that the Sinagaua and Anasazi people both used it to water their crops for hundreds of years. Some of the ancient irrigation ditches are still there. Here's a pic of Montezuma's Well:

montezuma-castle-national-monument-1.jpg

There is also a creek that runs right in front of the castle. It is called Beaver Creek. No it's not a roaring river, it's a stream at best but it is clean flowing water right at your front door.

P.S. Glad you guys like the plan! The more the merrier!

Last edited:
Supplies? Where's the nearest source of food and ammunition? ?

The small community of Camp Verde is about 10 miles away, larger with some major department stores is Cottonwood about 20 miles away, Sedona is about 30 miles away and the major railroad hub of Prescott is 40 miles away.

However, the area surrounding where the castle lies is prime hunting grounds for both mule and whitetail deer. There is plenty of wild game in the area. Plus the ground here has been farmed for hundreds of years. The irrigation lines are still in place, so an extended stay could include planting some crops.

As far as ammo... I personally stockpile and reload brass and shot; I'll be bringing my gear. I would recommend you invest in some ammo now or at least get a crossbow so you can re-use the bolts. But, I suppose if things got desperate you could run into one of the city centers mentioned above for supplies. I would desperately avoid highly populated areas though. Roving bands of mauraders can be worse than zombies in many cases. Plus, where the people live, the infected will be.

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
Oh I know haha, and that's interesting, if you see a green protege with a red window let me in;-) , currently I live in Virginia so our population isn't to high, plus I plan on being in the service when this breaks out so ill just keep my rifle and knives.

As for a crossbow..damn things piss me off...

What do you have as far as close quarters?

Personally I have two m1911's (Grandparents gift) then going to have a strung grenade

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
ok my zombie plan is basically a holdout then a gradual advancement to my local national guard armoury where i can find all the heavy vehicles i could have to make it to my local highschool

where i will be staying for the first 2-4weeks
where i have maybe 50 homes near me and i can jump on a major road strip in 3minutes

ill be heading to the N.G armoury where we will pick up one of the trucks and head our happy selves to quantico (huge military base) where it covers 10000acres??

MCB Quantico - BASEINFO - About Quantico

info on pics

first picture is a health diagram i found for zombie survival

the second is my home i will be holding out in

Attachments

• in_the_event_of_zombie_attack_poster-p228123460461956670vsu7_325.jpg
    in_the_event_of_zombie_attack_poster-p228123460461956670vsu7_325.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 30
  • cbk.jpg
    cbk.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 27
Does anyone else have a plan to nominate? I definitely am not the resident zombie expert, and will never claim to have all the answers, but me personally, I am against any plan that involves army bases, government vehicles, schools, prisons, Costcos/Sams Clubs etc.

First off, these will be the places that the unprepared masses are going to head to. And lots of people=lots of potential zombies which=a better chance of becoming infected. As far as the military bases go, if an outbreak occurs most, if not all, of the weapons will be gone, vehicles wont just be sitting there for you to take, they will be gone as well. If on the off chance you do find a military vehicle, chances are its there for a reason, meaning- broke down or out of gas or some other reason it will not be of use to you.

A lot of zombie survivalist boards have the plan you mentioned listed, so if no one else nominates a plan, I guess it will automatically become ZPOTW, but I am not thrilled with it. Besides...I am not the fearless leader, thats whynot's decision to make.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I have to agree with you about the military bases but I'm not about to take your thread away from you mutt. You started ZPotL, so it's yours to do with as you see fit. I'm a scrounger/survivor so I'd like to have 'resources' near enough to be a 1-2 day round trip but not close enough to have a near constant stream of 'non-living resident diners' scratching at my door.
I did, however, find a handy resource relatively closer to you than Arizona. Ocilla, GA
Missile Base Properties for Sale

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I have to agree with you about the military bases but I'm not about to take your thread away from you mutt. You started ZPotL, so it's yours to do with as you see fit. I'm a scrounger/survivor so I'd like to have 'resources' near enough to be a 1-2 day round trip but not close enough to have a near constant stream of 'non-living resident diners' scratching at my door.
I did, however, find a handy resource relatively closer to you than Arizona. Ocilla, GA
Missile Base Properties for Sale

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
Does anyone else have a plan to nominate? I definitely am not the resident zombie expert, and will never claim to have all the answers, but me personally, I am against any plan that involves army bases, government vehicles, schools, prisons, Costcos/Sams Clubs etc.

First off, these will be the places that the unprepared masses are going to head to. And lots of people=lots of potential zombies which=a better chance of becoming infected. As far as the military bases go, if an outbreak occurs most, if not all, of the weapons will be gone, vehicles wont just be sitting there for you to take, they will be gone as well. If on the off chance you do find a military vehicle, chances are its there for a reason, meaning- broke down or out of gas or some other reason it will not be of use to you.

A lot of zombie survivalist boards have the plan you mentioned listed, so if no one else nominates a plan, I guess it will automatically become ZPOTW, but I am not thrilled with it. Besides...I am not the fearless leader, thats whynot's decision to make.

im just throwing ideas that i have out there, if it doesnt seem fit then you dont need to nominate it.

i get your point about things being gone and honestly i didt think of that in the short time i thought of this lol

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
updat for possible zombie plan of the week
know your plants!

heres a small list wof edible/medicinal plants and there locations for when food gets low(and it will)

1. Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) - Sweet, floral flavor, with lemon and citrus notes. Flowers look beautiful and taste good too in a glass of champagne, with chocolate cake, or as a garnish for sorbets or ice creams. Lavender lends itself to savory dishes also, from hearty stews to wine-reduced sauces. Diminutive blooms add a mysterious scent to custards, flans or sorbets. NOTE: Do not consume lavender oil unless you absolutely know that it has not be sprayed and is culinary safe.

2. Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla) - Tiny cream-colored citrus-scented blossoms. Leaves and flowers can be steeped as an herbtea, and used to flavor custards and flans.

3. Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum coronarium) - Tangy, slightly bitter, ranging in colors from red, white, yellow and orange. They range in taste from faint peppery to mild cauliflower. They sould be blanched first and then scatter the petals on a salad. The leaves can also be used to flavor vinegar. Always remove the bitter flower base and use petals only. Young leaves and stems of the Crown Daisy, also known as Chop Suey Greens or Shingiku in Japan, are widely used in oriental stir-fries and as salad seasoning.

4. Elderberry Blossoms (Sambucus spp) - The blossoms are a creamy color and have a sweet scent and sweet taste. When harvesting elderberry flowers, do not wash them as that removes much of the fragrance and flavor. Instead check them carefully for insects. The fruit is used to make wine. The flowers, leaves, berries, bark and roots have all been used in traditional folk medicine for centuries. NOTE: All other parts of this plant, except the berries, are mildly toxic! They contain a bitter alkaloid and glycoside that may change into cyanide. The cooked ripe berries of the edible elders are harmless. Eating uncooked berries may cause nausea, vomiting, and .........

5. Fuchsia (Fuchsia X hybrida) - Blooms have a slightly acidic flavor. Explosive colors and graceful shape make it ideal as garnish. The berries are also edible.

6. Angelica (Angelica archangelica) - Depending on the variety, flower range from pale lavender-blue to deep rose. It has a flavor similar to licorice. Angelica is valued culinary from the seeds and stems, which are candied and used in liqueurs, to the young leaves and shoots, which can be added to a green salad. Because of its celery-like flavor, Angelica has a natural affinity with fish. The leaves have a stronger, clean taste and make a interesting addition to salads. In its native northern Europe, even the mature leaves are used, particularly by the Laplanders, as a natural fish preservative. Many people in the cold Northern regions such as Greenland, Siberia, and Finland consider Angelica a vegetable, and eat the stems raw, sometimes spread with butter. Young leaves can be made into a tea.

7. Hyacinth (Brodiaea douglasii) - Only the Wild Hyacinth (Brodiaea douglasii) bulbs are edible. The bulbs can be used like potatoes and eaten either raw or cooked and has a sweet, nutlike flavor. NOTE: The common hyacinth (found in your gardens) is toxic and must not be eaten.

this is just a sample of what there are if you want more check out this website

Edible Flowers, How to choose Edible Flowers, Eatable Flowers, Edible Flower Chart, List of Edible Flowers, Incredible Edible Flowers

i dont take credit for this info i retrieved these from the website above

pictures are posted in order of listed:
lavender
chrysanthemum
elderberry
angelica
Hyacinth

Attachments

• lavender.jpg
    lavender.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Pps15471B.jpg
    Pps15471B.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 24
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 24
  • medium_purple.hyacinth.bean.jpg
    medium_purple.hyacinth.bean.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 22
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 24
im just throwing ideas that i have out there, if it doesnt seem fit then you dont need to nominate it.

i get your point about things being gone and honestly i didt think of that in the short time i thought of this lol

I like to hear any and all ideas. I do think that the military bases, vehicles and weapons are an excellent idea, I just think that you will have to fight a lot of other humans to gain control of those items. In theory though, and taking the others out of the picture, the military base is an excellent idea.

My son in law is active duty in the army and we were just talking about the zombie plan on christmas morning. His idea is to try and keep his base secure but he also said that every enlisted man on the base pretty much has the same plan. Add the civilians that will be trying to take over the base as well and there will be a lot of warm bodies fighting for a small piece of real estate.

But, with permission from the leader, we will make the military, govt building, school, prison etc ZPOTW, cause it does get brought up so much.

I also like the addition of the plants and think we should do some more research and add to that information...nice find!

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
You don't need my permission :p You have full autonomous reign on any thread you start within reason. The same goes for anyone else starting a thread too.

My personal opinion of the military bases is that most of them will be empty of living soldiers pretty quickly if it's a fast acting z-factor a la 28 days later. Also if some medico decides to research the infected... I predict a cold base within a month.

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
but the thing with quantico is that unlike a normal base there are and im sure there are more but there are 4 civilian/enlisted entrances.

plus it has a a mini town, ammo containment sites *mounds*
firing ranges built for testing BOMBS MINES oh and weapons:2cool:

also in quantico is the fbi academy which i know some who attend

so even if a dead base theres no way it can go empty of supplies
but at the cost of supplies there is 10,000 acres of horde than can be poluting the water and animals, but its mostly woods so that also adds another pro con sneaking around factor

im not trying to shoot down my own plan im just stating what went through my mind before and after i completely thought about it:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread