• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Zombie Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
go ahead and do a review. I appreciate as much info as I can find.

I like the Marlin camp weapons, but think they are going to get out of my price range. What about a Kel-Tec Sub 2000?

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

The only downside I have found so far with the hi-point is the magazine selection. 10rd standard and 15rd available for +/- $20.

With the keltec, you have a choice as to which magazines you want to use, and for the 9mm I have found a 33 rd glock magazine for roughly $30...

damn...too many choices

Last edited:
Well spent way too much time doing research on these weapons. It came down to 3- hi-point 995, kel-tec sub2000 and the beretta cx4.

They all have their good and bad points of course, but for me, I think I am going to go with the Kel-Tec.

The hi-point got pretty good reviews, but almost everyone who did a review on it said the same 2 things- its heavy and it jams. Weight is not the end all concern for me as I am a big guy and a 7 pound weapon (unloaded) will not be too bad for me. The jamming thing though, thats a concern, especially if it jams at the wrong time. But the main reason I decided against it, is because of the lack of hi-cap magazines. I think that a if you are going to use a carbine as your go-to weapon, having more than 10 rounds might be a good choice. I did find a 15 round magazine for the 995, but still feels thats not enough either.

The beretta, well it was the prettiest of the 3, unfortunately, that came at a price. The function, fit, look etc etc of the c4x, well, its beretta, and its a well made firearm. The downside, as mentioned is price. And for the price of the beretta, I can get 2 Kel-Tec's or 1 Kel-tec and over 1000 rounds of ammo.

But one of the real reasons I ended up going with the Kel-Tec, it folds in half. Seeing as how in an oh .... situation, more than likely i will be grabbing my 12 gauge first, having a fold up gun, that fits into a laptop case, is an awesome option to have. I plan on keeping it folded, and in a case, with magazines ready so its easy to grab and go. Another cool feature, and this goes for the kel-tec and the beretta, hi-cap magazines. If i go with the 9mm version, I can get 33 rd magazines for under $30 ea. (3- 33 rds mags plus 1 in the pipe is 100 rounds of save your ... goodness)... If I go with the 40 version, then I believe that a 29 rd is the best I can find.

The downside with the Kel-Tec, is that it only comes in either a 9mm or 40 version. The whole point for me using a carbine style weapon in a handgun caliber, is to make buying ammo easy, meaning everything in one caliber. I am a huge 45acp fan. Its the gun I carry on me at all times. So now the decision I need to make is to either add another caliber to the stock pile of ammo I already have OR buy the Kel-tec in a 9mm. I already have tons of 9mm ammo, but would really prefer that the carbine be in a higher caliber. If I buy it in the 40 cal version, then I will always be re-thinking the 45 on my side.

Would be nice if the Kel-Tec just came in a 45 option. Will let you know if I decide 9mm or 40, but at the moment, 9mm is leading.

Another decision that I had to make was my long blade. I do think that everyone will need a long blade.

My choices for those- the zombie tool selection: Zombie Tools: Accessories for the Apocalypse | Makers of Zombie-Killing Weapons | Missoula, Montana and the cold steel line of blades.

Again, both are good quality, but for me, its going to come down to pricing. While the ZT have the looks, the etching is an awesome touch, the prices are just way too high for what you are getting.

With cold steel, you are going to get a good quality blade, and its going to be in the budget most of us can afford. Those that can afford the ZT's, go ahead it looks like you are getting some high quality blades. For those of us that think if we are spending $400+ for a weapon, it better be throwing lead, then the ZT is not for you.

I already have my short machete on hand- I went with the gerber gator, its a decent enough machete and has a saw back. I got it for camping, but it will do in a zombie attack. I am borderline on adding the kukri to my line up, just because I dont think another short machete will do me any good. If I am going to go with another short weapon it will be the Cold Steel Trench Hawk: YouTube - Cold Steel Trench Hawk (sorry, the guy is a bore to watch and listen to)

I did however decide on the long handled kukri. Check it out here: YouTube - Two Handed Kukri Machete!

For $30 you just about cant go wrong.

I know it sounds like I am cheap when it comes to blades, and for the most part, I am, especially for the swinging type blades. I just dont have it in me to spend $400+ for a blade.

MuddyWaterMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Texas
Good deal bud. I happen to be very fond of 9mm. I used to hate them and tote around my 1911 all the time but they have come a LONG way. My go to pistols are now the PX4 full size or subcompact ( both 9mm) depending on the dress at the time. Like I said before I think when I get mine it will have to be the CX4 so my magazines will swap. Plus I am REALLY fond of Italian steel!
I see the plus on your decision too. I also have one of the original full tang 3/4" bladed kukris and plan on getting another later down the road. They are just hard to beat. Plus at 20-30 bucks each you can't go wrong. Would like something with a little more reach but hey, that's what bullets are for :)

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I am still kicking around the idea of 9mm...I know its a deadly round and its extremely popular. Popular is going to be good for finding ammo later on down the road. Depending on the site you can get 1000 JHP's for around $235. Thats cheap enough. And by going with the slighly smaller round, when you start talking about carrying ammo in bulk, smaller equals lighter, so thats another plus.

Well hell...just when i think I got it all figured out on what exactly I want, something else comes along to throw a wrench in it. I do know that I am going to go Kel-Tec (unless someone has reason not to) Now I just need to decide 9mm or 40.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
FWIW, the 9mm will pick up a lot of energy with the longer carbine barrel so it won't be that bad. I like the .45 as well but it doesn't pick up that much energy with a carbine barrel, just accuracy at distance. I'd recommend the 9mm over the .40 but only because of the ammo cost/supply vs the kinetic advantages an extra mm in diameter will give you.

Is the KT rated for +P in either caliber? +P 9mm with a 147gr is pretty impressive...

i went to a couple different gun boards and did a search for real world +p ammo info. Kel-Tec the manual says you can run +p ammo, just not every shot. Kel-Tec the company says you can run up to 1 full clip in the LIFETIME of the weapon. The people on the gun boards are saying that +p ammo is fine to run in the Kel-tec sub2000. Either way, the Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty so should any issue arise, I think Kel-tec would take care of it. Supposedly they have a real good name in the gun world for being a stand-up company.

After thinking about it, I think I am going to go with the 9mm. I already have a browning 9mm pistol and also have 9mm ammo. If I decide to add a caliber to what I already carry, I will go with the Taurus Judge, which shoots either 410 shotgun (which I already have 100's of rounds of, or it can also shoot the 45 long colt (cowboy style ammo). Having an up close and personal handgun that has the power of a small shotgun, well thats just got a cool factor.

MuddyWaterMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Texas
I liked my Judge but let it go. I just felt I would be better off with my 9mm. However since then they have come out with some VERY nice shells designed from the ground up to be used in a short barrel! When I had mine the results of the 410 in a pistol were less than impressive. Now I am kinda kicking myself in the ....!

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

i used to have a couple of the cheap 410/45 double barrel pistols: Cobray 45/410 Double Barrel Pistol Cobray Pistols for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from LOANS92. Buy or bid on this Cobray 45/410 Double Barrel Pistol in the category Cobray Pistols on GunsAmerica.

One was like the one shown and i also had one that was 11" long...i think they called it the snake charmer or something like that. I always liked the idea if a 410 in an up close and personal pistol and the judge doing it in revolver form just seems like an awesome idea. And with all of the new ammo, it just seems like a better and better choice.

I also just picked up an amt 25/22lr lightning today. Its a ruger 10/22 clone, but came with a stainless barrel and folding stock. it also came from the factory with a 25 round magazine.

the one I got today came with 2-25 round mags, 1-30rd mag, a scope and the original "amt" bag.

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am an SKS fan,,,have been forever. Powerful round, ammo is cheap enough to buy in bulk, proven war tough. Will shoot even if dirty. Tons of accessories to build a custom gun...well I just found a stock I havent seen before and this might be my new build: Store | Shernic Gun Works SKS bUllpup stock kit...anyone tried these yet?

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Haven't used one before. Does that incorporate the AK removable magazine or does it retain the SKS removable magazine? I had a post ban SKS Norinco 'Sporter' with a thumbhole stock but it would accept 30 rd AK magazines instead of the SKS ones. I found some pre ban examples and the mag well was the same. Pretty simple setup and AK mags are a LOT cheaper than than SKS mags. I'm actually surprised that I don't see the conversion more commonly available as an upgrade. The one thing that I could NOT do was fit a drum magazine in there as the tower portion was a little too short to reach the catches. Not that you'd want a drum on a bullpup, but I had a 100 rd AK drum back in the day (and I'm still kicking myself over selling it) and there's something to be said for the intimidation factor of a big black drum hanging down low and the knowledge that a lot of bangs are going to happen before you hear the next 'click'. :D :D :D

From what i read, it will use both the newer sks magazines as well as the old school AK mags. I believe with the AK's, there is a small adjustment that needs to be made for it to work. Back in the day I used to have a lot of the AK metal mags, but recently have been extremely happy with the 20 round tapco mags. They are made of some polymer based something or other, but have never had one jam or fail to feed.

I have pretty much signed off the SKS as my zombie gun just because of the weight of the ammo as well as the length of the gun. I have really been wanting to get into the subcompacts lately. Finding this stock might open the door again for me to use the SKS. I will just have to strategically plan where to store extra ammo.

This might be my new build: Store | Shernic Gun Works SKS bUllpup stock kit...anyone tried these yet?

I did some target practice with a friend's Bullpup and it shoots pretty consistantly. A couple of jams of course when you're spending a couple hundred rounds in the desert, but not bad. For my tastes it's a little too light. Feels like a toy to me. But then we had some sort of poly-plastic housing on the version I was using (the body and mag were translucent) and if this kit is metal it would probably have a better weight.

wonder if lighter would be better in a survival sense? nice not to have to lug around a heavy again...but on the other hand, one of the things that make the SKS such a good war gun is because of how sturdy its built. If I put it into a plastic housing and that housing fails causing my gun to fail, then I havent gained much...something to think about before spending $200

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Not all plastics are created equal! Things have come quite far from the initial days of Bakelight and I can't think of a single tactical weapon mfg. currently made that doesn't use synthetic stock material except Barrett and they use steel, not wood.
Another option to consider if you like the robust Russian build style but want more accuracy is the Galil. Best aspects of the AR with the reliability of an AK and chambered for .223. Some of them even fall between the two prices as well!

not a huge fan of the .223 round, but i will look into the Galil. Thanks for the heads up.

Have you tried the Ruger Mini 14? It's probably my favorite semi-auto rifle and it uses a .223 round. My father has one along with a couple of "grandfathered in" 40 round banana clips... and it is a blast to fire. If you have access, give one a whirl. I think it might change your opinion on the .223 round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread