• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Zombie Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I'd be a little cautious. The Sig's retail for significantly more than the XD so they could be problem guns or outright scams. If it is a legit deal, go for either one, you'd be hard pressed to not make money if you decide to get rid of it. FWIW, NIB P229's are selling for twice what an XD45 is! It's too late for you now but the problem with your S&W was probably due to someone dropping it and bending the frame. I'm shocked a gunsmith couldn't figure out if it was bent or if the lugs on the cylinder were worn due to misuse. When it comes to revolvers, S&W is my first choice followed by Ruger for reliability and accuracy.

As to Sig's being a good brand, a P226 is the Navy Seal's sidearm of choice and the P228/9 get excellent reviews. Just know that they'll both carry about the same amount of ammo per clip as your XD though :p

About your SKS though, I'm not so sure I'd leave it in the white with just a clear coat over it. If you have the outdoor space and a small camp stove, you might be interested in this:

Blindhogg custom gunworks

Just don't try it indoors!

The p229 stainless fell through, but i figured that was going to be the case...I am in the middle of working out the trade details for the p228. Its a 2 tone model. I also run all new guns I acquire through my local gun shop. The owner runs the serial numbers for me. I have also located a 30 round magazine for the 228 already.

As far as the s&w, i was young, and dumb and the shop i used ended up going out of business. It just left a bad taste for my first gun.

I am still up in the air with what i am doing with the sks. I am really liking the blasted barrel.

Here is the sig P228:
2995035.jpg

8383207.jpg

Here's the SKS:
003.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Last edited:

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Even the Cowboys are going to .38/.357 for competition use. Less recoil and more availability with the .38 too. For a powerhouse, scorch their face and then bludgeon them to death with it revolver? .44Mag-.500Mag. For real world, I'm looking more and more at the relatively new .327Mag. Sourcing ammo after Z-day could prove to be a major PITA though. Otherwise, .357 punch with less recoil and flash plus one more round in the cylinder... Sounds good enough to me!

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Nice!! I like those. How quick is the reload time on one of those puppies?

You can't use quick AND reload in the same sentence when a drum is involved. They use the same logic that the Striker shotgun uses, if 12 rounds (or 20 in this case) of 12 gauge can't get you out of the situation, nothing would.

Man...I need to stay away from the bead blaster....took the 45 completely apart today...bead blasted the slide, outer barrel, 2 levers and the retention piece on the end of the slide...totally changes the look of the XD. I totally had the thing apart and forgot to do the trigger. I have an email off to Springfield though about an OD green frame so I will have to take it all aprt again anyways...will do the trigger at that time, unless of course i end up with a sig p228

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Hey mutt, the frame is considered the firearm as far as the ATF is concerned. It's the part that's serial'd and registered on an XD so you'd be more or less buying another XD from them.

I gotta ask what prompted the finish strip on it? It's a little costly to put another finish on there unless you do a hot salt bluing at home.

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Nice!! I like those. How quick is the reload time on one of those puppies?

It is basically an AK-47 that shoots 12ga rounds. It is semi-automatic, and you can go full-auto if you are a lunatic and have a class 3 license. It is made by Izmash. Kalashnikov himself still works there. Saiga makes a number of popular sporting/military rifles in a country where blowing polar bears away while drunkenly hanging out the side of a military helicopter is practically national pastime.

If you are a fool, you can use this gun as a street sweeper. It cycles rounds very quickly. It is adjustable to different kinds of ammo (target, 00, slugs) I just like the reliability and familiarity of the AK-47-stile platform and the ability to go 21 rounds without having to reload.

Reloading the drum takes a while, probably 30-45 seconds. Carrying multiple drums is impractical, though 10rd magazines are not too bulky. Hence, backups...

Sidearm: Ruger Super Alaskan Redhawk .454 casull.

phr 008.jpg

Backup: AK-47 with 75rd drum and laser

phr 003.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mutt, the frame is considered the firearm as far as the ATF is concerned. It's the part that's serial'd and registered on an XD so you'd be more or less buying another XD from them.

I gotta ask what prompted the finish strip on it? It's a little costly to put another finish on there unless you do a hot salt bluing at home.

I figured the frame would have to be registered, but was hoping i could buy one relatively cheap from springfield. All I really need is the actual polymer frame and I would transfer all parts over to the new frame. Just would be nice to have a color option, you know, so I could change to match my outfit LOL.

As far as the finish, I have been reading about the duracoat finishes and figured I would give them a shot. I never been too afraid to jump right in and try something. The actual material cost is low for the duracoat plus I have access to my local 4x4 shop that has the blaster, paint booths, all machines etc etc...worse I can do is totally screw it up and have to pay the guy in chattanooga to fix/finish it.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
Have you guys ever tried to bump fire? Talk about a good time lol. I can make my AR absolutely dump a mag in no time. With a bit of practice, I can keep most, if not all 30 rounds in a man sized target at about 20 paces.

Not letting me copy vids right now. If you want you cancheck it out on you tube. THey bump fire just about any semi auto on there.

MuddyWaterMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread