“Stronger inhaling required for PVs may cause adverse effects on human health”

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
This article http://www.instantriverside.com/2010/10/prue-talbot-electronic-cigarette-study/ (and/or the study as well) seems to imply that the “stronger inhaling” required for a PV may have “adverse effects on human health.”

Are you kidding?

And “manufacturers’ claims that e-cigarette cartridges are equivalent to a certain number of conventional cigarettes…seems misleading” because… “stronger puffs are required over time to sustain density.” SERIOUSLY??

The senior author of the study is quoted as saying “Our results show that e-cigarettes smoke very differently than conventional brands.” Hmmm….yes. To start with, they don’t smoke.

Another researcher involved in the study is quoted as saying: “An important implication is that users must exert greater inhalation pressure and, therefore, it may predictably cause the aerosol to reach deeper tissue in the user’s lungs. As in the case of conventional harm reduction cigarettes with lower nicotine content, users of e-cigarettes may also need to smoke greater number of puffs to receive sufficient amount of nicotine to satisfy their craving.”

First off, he can’t decide if he wants to talk about how it’s inhaled or the amount of nicotine a user desires. But correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t conducting research involve reviewing previously done research? If not then I can see why he is unaware there is no “conventional harm reduction cigarette,” and that nicotine is not what makes conventional cigarettes harmful in the first place. I can see to why he is unaware of the following e-cig finding: “Nicotine Not Absorbed by Lungs.” Summary here: http://www.e-cignews.com/items/Dr_Laugesen_s_report_on_the_Ruyan_e_cigarette_as_shown_to_th (the link to the handout provides additional information)

And here’s another funny one: “Based on the results of this paper, not only do users become more aware of the vapor characteristics and smoking properties of e-cigarettes but also manufacturers of e-cigarettes will take notice of the functional inconsistencies of their products.” Yeah, I want those consistent batteries that don’t lose power as you use it.

:?:I don’t know guys – perhaps we should consider going back to the analogs since we don’t have to work as hard to inhale, plus they burn consistently from end to end so we don’t even have to think about it. That "thinking" thing can be quite a stressor - and we all know stress contributes to heart disease and acne.

Instant Riverside.com was wise to close/prevent comments from being made on this article. I will say that much. …I’ve got to find somewhere to comment on this study.

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
I guess I "blew" it on this one - My point behind the post was how utterly ridiculous this so-called study is and how they don't have their facts straight in the first place.

Yes, we do inhale longer and deeper than you do with analogs - but to imply that this somehow poses "adverse effects on human health" is insane and irresponsible!!

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I guess I "blew" it on this one - My point behind the post was how utterly ridiculous this so-called study is and how they don't have their facts straight in the first place.

Yes, we do inhale longer and deeper than you do with analogs - but to imply that this somehow poses "adverse effects on human health" is insane and irresponsible!!

I think this goes to show that "a study" done by a stupid person shouldn't be published or even called a study. At least that's my opinion the article really seems pretty moronic to me.

Vapor Vamp

Mar 29, 2010
Everywhere I go
This article http://www.instantriverside.com/2010/10/prue-talbot-electronic-cigarette-study/ (and/or the study as well) seems to imply that the “stronger inhaling” required for a PV may have “adverse effects on human health.”

Another researcher involved in the study is quoted as saying: “An important implication is that users must exert greater inhalation pressure and, therefore, it may predictably cause the aerosol to reach deeper tissue in the user’s lungs.”

On this one point I care to comment.

Most vapers vape in a 2-stage inhalation process
that involves the initial hard draw of the vapor into the mouth
as stage 1;

followed by a gentle inhale of the stored vapors
reserved in the mouth as stage 2.

The infusion part of the draw (stage 2) is *gentle*
and not
the dramatic, highly-pressurized infusion
the authors of the paper purport.

Just a simple observation.

The Devil is in the details.
;)

===========================

iJax

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
California
This just in...holding your breath deprives the brain of air causing brain damage...

This just in .....closing your eyes may cause your eye lashes to scratch your eyes

This just in.... .........ion causes blindness...proven by public study (gays at higher risk)

This just in.....drinking water while holding a chicken under one arm and patting your belly could cause cancer...more research is needed.

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
This just in...holding your breath deprives the brain of air causing brain damage...

This just in .....closing your eyes may cause your eye lashes to scratch your eyes

This just in.... .........ion causes blindness...proven by public study (gays at higher risk)

This just in.....drinking water while holding a chicken under one arm and patting your belly could cause cancer...more research is needed.

OMG I'm gonna get cancer!

Magus86

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Myerstown, PA
When I vape I actually take a lighter draw than when I smoke a cigarette... Wouldn't this sort of thing vary from person to person? Also, what a .... cheese. So breathing heavily can cause adverse health effects.. Well, don't ever do exercise then, or you will die. And definitely don't have sex. You wouldn't want to be breathing heavily, now would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread