• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

‘Man on fire’ as vape battery bursts into flames on Malindo Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

isux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2015
Fine City
PUTRAJAYA: A Malindo Air passenger has brought new meaning to the oft-said adage, “Man on Fire”.

On Saturday, while en route to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) from Kota Kinabalu, a man was watching a video on the display screen in his Boeing 737-800 aircraft seat.

At that juncture, an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) battery inside a bag, which was placed on the passenger's lap, suddenly burst into flames.

In the 6.45pm incident, which occurred after the aircraft had just taken off from Kota Kinabalu, Malindo Air passengers and flight crew faced anxious moments as the man sustained burns on the thighs and left hand.

Sepang police chief ACP Abdul Aziz Ali said the fire occurred while the passenger was watching a video on the display screen in his seat.

"In the midst of watching the video, the vape battery in a bag lying on the man's lap suddenly caught fire.

"He was treated immediately by another passenger who happened to be a doctor.

"The crew managed to quickly bring the fire under control and the plane landed safely at the KLIA2 at 8.44pm," he said when contacted Sunday.

ACP Abdul Aziz said the injured passenger had lodged a police report.

Malindo Air did not lodge any complaint over the incident. - BERNAMA
http://www.nst.com.my/news/2015/10/‘man-fire’-vape-battery-bursts-flames-malindo-air

Lodge police report sia. Because his own battery chi-ba-boom?

I can only think that this guy is charging his battery in the bag and got overcharged, or accidentally pressing the fire switch for far too long that it overheats/ drains the heat out.

MY Gahmen and Police .. Please please please don't chu pattern.. this is one of the primary reasons why we still love visiting our neighbours across the causeway...pray hard hard they just laugh it off rather than imposing stricter measures on vaping equipment and related policies. A little incident sometimes can stretch a long way.

Stay safe.

atticasg

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2013
You Know very well they read this forum every day like an addict themselves. They will definitely use this as another bad/stupid example. The idiot who caught fire prolly using an ICR battery and has no knowledge of lithium cell power requirements and usage. Seriously what a joke. If that's not enough, Self-Pwned with police report.

isux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2015
Fine City
You Know very well they read this forum every day like an addict themselves. They will definitely use this as another bad/stupid example. The idiot who caught fire prolly using an ICR battery and has no knowledge of lithium cell power requirements and usage. Seriously what a joke. If that's not enough, Self-Pwned with police report.

Or a M-I-C battery haha

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
On a fairer note.. This is one such example why I think vaping should be strictly regulated/restricted. There are too many reasons accidents can happen.. Poor or lack of common sense when it comes to battery safety, and also maintainence of coil/wick, or lack of..
One leads to safety hazards, another leads to toxic vapor/health issues.
A mod, whether mech or vv, and the atty, is definitely not a toy, and requires regular maintainence and care for them to perform as intended. If the market is opened up, it's gonna be like a can of worms.. Very soon we will see complains coming in, just bcos ppl can take proper battery care, or they just think a coil/wick or a coilhead can last forever..

Reactions: MMM01

isux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2015
Fine City
KUALA LUMPUR: Malindo Air will initiate discussions with other airport authorities to not only review security procedures, but also develop prevention strategies following an incident where an electronic cigarette caught fire onboard its aircraft. In a statement today, Malindo confirmed that an electronic cigarette overheated on board flight OD1003 en route from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) on Saturday. “The incident occurred at 35,000 feet, at approximately 6.02pm, mid-journey between Kota Kinabalu and Kuala Lumpur. The situation was brought under control and the flight continued its journey to a safe and uneventful landing at Kuala Lumpur at 7.27pm. “The cabin crew and a doctor on board also rendered first aid to the passenger who suffered superficial burns to his lower arm,” the airline said. Malindo Air also reminded passengers to avoid carrying spare batteries on board, to not connect any portable electronic device to a power source in flight and to refrain from leaving any portable electronic devices unattended. Meanwhile Sepang district police chief Abdul Aziz Ali said the incident was caused by the passenger's negligence when he placed his vaping device in his cabin luggage without switching it off. “The passenger did not turn off his vaping device when he placed it into his luggage. “The ‘on’ button was somehow accidentally pressed continuously, which led to it overheating and catching fire,” he said.

Selanjutnya di : http://www.nst.com.my/news/2015/10/...-procedures-following-‘vape’-fire-onboard?m=1

really one dumbass sabo all....

Sent from vapour clouds above

KenshinAdryan

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2015
Timbuktu, Lalaland
Please note the rules of the clouds to all cloud chasers:

i. Passengers and cabin crew are prohibited from carrying battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices including electronic cigarettes in checked baggage.

ii. Prohibits recharging of battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices in aircraft cabins.

iii. Batteries shall be removed from electronic smoking devices and be put in proper storage.

Do Not Vape and Fly.

HoboClown

Feb 22, 2015
Singapore
http://www.nst.com.my/news/2015/10/‘man-fire’-vape-battery-bursts-flames-malindo-air

Lodge police report sia. Because his own battery chi-ba-boom?

I can only think that this guy is charging his battery in the bag and got overcharged, or accidentally pressing the fire switch for far too long that it overheats/ drains the heat out.

MY Gahmen and Police .. Please please please don't chu pattern.. this is one of the primary reasons why we still love visiting our neighbours across the causeway...pray hard hard they just laugh it off rather than imposing stricter measures on vaping equipment and related policies. A little incident sometimes can stretch a long way.

Stay safe.
Well, knowing our local government they'd probably exaggerate the whole incident and impose some other stupid laws on vapes

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
C'mon, the real cause of the fire is obvious:
...a man was watching a video on the display screen in his Boeing 737-800 aircraft seat.

At that juncture, an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) battery inside a bag, which was placed on the passenger's lap, suddenly burst into flames.

Seat-back video displays should be immediately banned and removed from all aircraft!
wink2.gif

Karstine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2015
REALLY? Not even Nicotine free vaping is legal? WHY? HOW?

Dude, on most plane you can't smoke. What makes you think you can vape? Please respect all the legalities.

On smoking allowed plane, you could probably vape (do not quote me in this as I have never been on a smoking allowed plane before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread