“trace” amounts of diketones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
I bought some new e liquid at my local B&M, it tasted super awesome. I brought it home filled up my tank and noticed the ingredients said may contain trace amounts of Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl. I generally stay away from juice that uses diketones, but since I bought a 60ml I’m a little upset. Does anybody know what they mean when they use the terms may contain trace amounts? Are these amounts anything to worry about?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do my best to avoid known offenders (vanilla makes me hoarse for example) but honestly, I doubt I avoid them 100% of the time. You may decide you don't want to buy that juice again but I would be skeptical that 60 ml of it may do you much harm. It's also possible that juice maker puts the disclaimer on all of their juices, as standard legal covering of butts. Not so much because it is INSANELY dangerous (I don't consider it to be) but more to avoid any potential lawsuit.

Either way, I would probably vape the juice and unless I had any negative effects from it, I probably wouldn't worry overly much.

However, it is your body and I think you would be well within your rights (unless it was advertised so on the site) to send it back for a refund if you don't want to vape it.

It's still going to be far safer than smoking though and you may not wish to purchase from said vendor again, you could also just try contacting them for more information.

Best of luck

Anna

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
It depends on what they mean by "trace" I guess. The way I'd interpret that is that they aren't using them actively for flavoring in that particular juice, but do in other juices. Sort of like when you buy candy and it says "may contain trace amounts of peanut". It's manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts, so there may be some even if it's not peanut candy. If that's what they mean then I wouldn't worry about it. It would be nice to have more clarity than that though.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
It depends on what they mean by "trace" I guess.

I'd agree very much with this. If they are using the term correctly it ought to mean, IMHO, in this context, that they are present in barely detectable amounts. That ought to mean at the very least thousands of times less than the amounts they're used in in flavors where they are an important constituent. The jury is still out on whether diketones pose a health risk to vapers who vape, say, a lot of TPA Butter, but I think it's pretty safe to say that "trace amounts" of diketones means about the same thing as "diketone-free" when it comes to those risks unless the term is grossly abused.

I don't think this even means that the facility that produces the juice necessarily produces juice that does rely on diketones as in the peanut example. Unlike peanut proteins, which are pretty specific, diketones are relatively simple molecules that show up all over the place. It's pretty unavoidable that trace amounts will be present in some juices even when it isn't intended. And, IMHO, not something to worry about if the amounts are truly "trace amounts," or even an order of magnitude or two more than I'd call trace amounts.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree with Anna. I think it might be a blanket cover-their-.... statement.

Commercial makers buy the same flavors we DIYers do, and while some brands are described as having diketones, AP, or alcohol, not all do, and none that I’m aware of state precisely how much. Secret recipes, I guess.

If you think about how low a percentage diketones likely are within the flavor, and how small a percentage of flavor likely is in the juice... even if it’s 20% flavor, which is pretty high. Well, that’s about like putting a drop of food coloring into a shot of rum, and putting the rum in a glass of Coke. While I like to avoid food coloring when possible, I wouldn’t not drink the rum and Coke because of it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If it has a buttery flavor it probably contains Diacetyl which is a butter flavoring. It's in the buttery flavor popcorn that you buy in the store. The only people who contracted "popcorn lung" from it were the people who worked in the popcorn plants and breathed the fumes all day. Trace amounts in the ingredients list may be a CYA attempt by the juice vendor.

You can read about it here.
What You Need To Know About Diketones And E-Liquid Ingredients / VapeCraft, Inc Blog

Last edited:

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
Thank you all for the replies and insight! I am a bit paranoid and even after doing my research (knowing the popcorn lung is fake news) I still reserved some concerns for diketones in general. I have been vaping the bottle of Duke by Gonzo Vapor, not letting it go to waste as its an awesome peach. Thanks again!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thank you all for the replies and insight! I am a bit paranoid and even after doing my research (knowing the popcorn lung is fake news) I still reserved some concerns for diketones in general. I have been vaping the bottle of Duke by Gonzo Vapor, not letting it go to waste as its an awesome peach. Thanks again!
I like this answer:
"It's funny, we're all concerned if flavors have anything bad in them and yet we smoked for years knowing it was all bad. I'm going to be ...... if I get hit by a bus. My last thought is going to be "But God, I only vaped the good flavors."
http://..................com/threads/sweet-cream-substitute.94241/

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I find it funny that we smoked for years knowing its bad for you but we still smoked. I found through vaping its not the Nicotine that being blamed for being addictive since I can go hours without a vape, not blink a eye or get cravings. Leave your smokes at home and its a panic situation. After eons of smoking all sorts of nasty chemicals now a "trace amount" in a vape juice gets people up in arms of the dangers. I personally don't care but some do and thats their prerogative. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread