Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Guys ....

The fun and exhilarating rush of selling our own mods yesterday came to a complete standstill when I got some news that could likely bury PureSmoker.

At the start of making mods ... My goal was to get a complete kit UNDER the $100 mark, which I was successful (or so I thought) with the release of the Protégé. Production numbers going up = better pricing on buyers end, at least that is what I always felt would be the case.

As I go in to discuss the Future of the Protege and PS USBpass yesterday, I get a spreadsheet, with the realization, that our next Production Run for both is going up ..... way up ...... It made me sick.

For the first time ... I finally understood WHY USA businesses are taking their needs offshore. The same thing, built in China, would likely be 1/5th the cost of having it manufactured here in the United States.

With that said .... Here is the realization of keeping the Protege and USBpass Manfacutured stateside, in stainless steel and carrying the warranties they do ....

Protégé Old Pricing:
$89.99 Full Kit
Protégé New Pricing:
$110 - $115

PS USBpass Old Pricing: (Aluminum Version, 2 Piece Button, no atomizers)
Started at $29.99 ... Ended up at $39.99
PS USBpass New Pricing: (New SS Version, 3 piece button, 2 eclips, 1 atty)
Pricing $65 - $70

Prodigy Old Pricing: (Aluminum Version)
$139.99 Full Kit
Prodigy New Pricing: (Stainless Steel Version/Redesign)
$120 - $125 Full Kit

Summary:
The PS USBpass Pricing makes me sick. I'm not entirely sure if the market can handle a price like that, thus I tried to supplement pricing by putting in a free atty. Pricing on the Protege increased roughly 60% on my end, thus cutting my margins even closer. I am trying NOT to pass that large a sum on to the consumer. Prodigy Pricing came down a bit. Initial run was quite a bit more expensive due to the amount of engineering and design behind it. I was originally trying to hit the $99, but at this point, I can't.

I really don't want to have to supplement via China (importing again) I'm trying to reach a *middle ground* so to speak with Protégé's and Prodigy's, thus the reason, 1 $$$ amount is going up, and 1 $$$ amount is going down.

My main issue is the pricing on the PT's. If you have one of our PT's and feel confident it is worth the pricetag above, please let me know. We are making the button better (should alleviate any *sticking*), and we are also now building it out of stainless steel like the Protégé. Please share your thoughts and concerns. If support isn't there, or you guys feel the pricing is high, then I will simply have to make the unfortunate decision to stop making PS PT's .....

Appreciate it guys and gals!
CaSH

terranlanding

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Texas
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have been following the growth and evolution of PureSmoker since about April of this year and it really astonished me how great it seemed to have been going for you. When I first visited your site I didn't even know what mods were and it was long before you even released the prodigy, but now you're one of the most popular "Mod" suppliers on this forum. The recommendations of others to your products and services were overwhelmingly positive that's why I ordered a Protege (my first PureSmoker purchase) last week. I feel pretty confident that I'm going to get an awesome device and I'm sure that even if something does go wrong, I'll get the same friendly help that others on the forum attest to. That being said, those price raises are probably what most people expect to happen in a period of depression and currency inflation, but I personally think that would have put the protege out of my price range at the moment. As for the PT and the Prodigy, I'm glad the prodigy went down in case I decide to upgrade at some point, but that PT (which I was also considering) seems kind of steep now. I hope you can think your way through this one and I hope PureSmoker can stay strong in the vaping community.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Yep. It's very difficult to manufacture in the US at prices that "compare" with offshore.

You keep the quality up and the price will be justified.

Maybe you could look at "value added" and further distinquish yourself since you pretty much have interchangeable components already working for you.

One thing's for sure, I'll be staying USA and PureSmoker!

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Exactly what I was thinking... Time to get a few machines. and start making parts for yourself.. Or send out the drawings to some other shops for quotes. With the economy the way it is I am sure you will get someone out there looking for work and willing to make parts cheaper than whoever is doing it now.

And as far as the Pass thru goes... I would pay more for it. I love the heck out of mine and use it every day. That is the one device I can always could on hitting exactly the same each and every time I pick it up... And I think it is a steal at 40 bucks. Why the change to stainless? I personally like the black. O I know it's the powder coating... One less step with the stainless..

Thanks for sharing your concerns and asking for our input on this. Lets me know you truly value your customers opinions. That's awesome!

And I can't wait for the next Prodigy run cause I want another one now.. Just because I like it so much. Will the new Prodigy have the new logo? That would be nice.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Personally I will always pay more for a product made in the US over a cheaper Chinese copy.

Appreciate that M0rbeus :)

Sign me up for the PT, that thing sounds effing awesome!!!

I am not ordering from anyone but PS.

Gibby.

Awww... Thanks Gibby! I have always appreciated your support for the PS family ... Much love!

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have been following the growth and evolution of PureSmoker since about April of this year and it really astonished me how great it seemed to have been going for you. When I first visited your site I didn't even know what mods were and it was long before you even released the prodigy, but now you're one of the most popular "Mod" suppliers on this forum. The recommendations of others to your products and services were overwhelmingly positive that's why I ordered a Protege (my first PureSmoker purchase) last week. I feel pretty confident that I'm going to get an awesome device and I'm sure that even if something does go wrong, I'll get the same friendly help that others on the forum attest to. That being said, those price raises are probably what most people expect to happen in a period of depression and currency inflation, but I personally think that would have put the protege out of my price range at the moment. As for the PT and the Prodigy, I'm glad the prodigy went down in case I decide to upgrade at some point, but that PT (which I was also considering) seems kind of steep now. I hope you can think your way through this one and I hope PureSmoker can stay strong in the vaping community.

terranlanding -- I very much appreciate your very thought out post! This is what I was scared of .... you have really given me something to think over! Thanks terran!

Cash,

Sorry you're having trouble, you always been a good force in the community...

Suggestion:
Time to look for a new fab shop?

Thanks Vapor .... Not many fab shops *want* to build such small pieces in large quantities and assemble ... that's the tuffy ...

All the pricing listed looks fair to me. Even the PS PT pricing seems fair to me.

So I am in.

Gibby.

haha ... Thanks Gibby.

I Really want one of those PTs maybe the wife will get me an early Christmas present!

Thanks M0rbeus!

gpdo24

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
New York, New York
You Build It & We Will Buy IT
Puresmoker has established a lot of trust in a short period...and in a financial apocalypse that finds my cable bill at no less than a 'buck fitty' your prices are still most conscientious. Plus one or the other of your vape option switches is activated even more often than the remote control>>>keep up the good work and right fight.....Honesty is always at a high price reciprocating it a happy obligation.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
The PS USB Pass is the best made PT available on the market ... anyone looking for a PT would find no need to replace because the construction is top notch ... IMO Get the best to start and save money ... The PS USB Pass is well worth the $65 - $70 price tag.

thanks youtube ....

Yep. It's very difficult to manufacture in the US at prices that "compare" with offshore.

You keep the quality up and the price will be justified.

Maybe you could look at "value added" and further distinquish yourself since you pretty much have interchangeable components already working for you.

One thing's for sure, I'll be staying USA and PureSmoker!

Excellent Idea nubee!!! Thanks!!!

Exactly what I was thinking... Time to get a few machines. and start making parts for yourself.. Or send out the drawings to some other shops for quotes. With the economy the way it is I am sure you will get someone out there looking for work and willing to make parts cheaper than whoever is doing it now.

And as far as the Pass thru goes... I would pay more for it. I love the heck out of mine and use it every day. That is the one device I can always could on hitting exactly the same each and every time I pick it up... And I think it is a steal at 40 bucks. Why the change to stainless? I personally like the black. O I know it's the powder coating... One less step with the stainless..

Thanks for sharing your concerns and asking for our input on this. Lets me know you truly value your customers opinions. That's awesome!

And I can't wait for the next Prodigy run cause I want another one now.. Just because I like it so much. Will the new Prodigy have the new logo? That would be nice.

very good ideas vapnaway .... I don't want to ruin the relationship I have with the shop I use now .... I have already priced out components elsewhere, and they are even higher. Actually, Some are higher, some are lower .... Lead times end up being horrible, not to mention, if I go elsewhere, can I continue to get a certain part made by my current shop.

I have also thought about hiring an engineer, who can also program, buying our own equipment, and going from there .... still thinking about this one ...

I'll gladly pay extra for the PS products.

Appreciate that Cassavetes ....

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Personally, I didn't buy the Protege because it was cheaper than the Prodigy, but rather because it fit my needs better. The difference in price wouldn't have changed my mind at all and the Prodigy is going down in price.

I learned a while ago that I don't really like PTs in general so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt, but I admit that the cost for the PT took me back a bit until I thought about it. Really all other PTs are pretty much disposable from my experience and if your PT is as solid and dependable as it looks and other people report than it is still value for the money at that price. Since it will be stainless it is actually a slightly more complicated Protege that never needs replacement batteries, correct? I would think PT fans will ultimately realize this and pay. Especially if they go through a couple of the 'cheap' options first. I think the trick with the PT would be to make so that all components are replaceable which might make it even more, but I think if people knew they could buy a new cable, switch, adaptor... for less if any of these parts go bad it would make them more comfortable with the price.

Last edited:

Trox.Shawn

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Business is business -- In these times we couldn't expect anything less. I run a string of restaurants in South Louisiana, in which we obtain all of our seafood from the local fisherman. This creates a much higher price on our menu, and yet my tables are still full.

Price is normally not the number one reason consumers purchase from a company, but instead take a look at other aspects of the business such as customer service, quality, etc... Set yourself apart from the market. For example be the first e-cigarette suppliers to always have stock. (The main reason I will order from a different vendor is due to stock, actually I was in the process of purchasing a VP1, but since they were out of stock and the protege was in stock I purchased your product.)

Figure out your market, and understand their needs/wants. Is price truely an issue if you consumer base focuses mostly of customer service, and/or quality?

P.S. - When will the Stainless steal prodigy be available?

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
I was on the fence about getting a PS now I wish I would have put it in with my Protege order.;)

I don't have my Protege yet(shipping today?!?!) but I have read enough reviews of your other product(s) to know that is a high quality unit and quality is worth paying for.

A $20-30 increase on the Protege represents 2-3 packs of analogs for me, which means the price increase is the same as 4-6 days of smoking analogs but with analogs I will have nothing but ash and filters left at the end instead of a relic from the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread