◙ Li’l PINCH (←thang) ◙ pdib (←maker) ◙ not sayin’ (←just sayin’) ◙ shuh-ZAM! (←hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I didn't think about it seeing as how no one can take business away from Peter now. I will take it down until Peter posts. If you look quickly and closely the internals aren't stock. I dropped it, mangled and tore the original parts, and replaced the 510 and other bit with a functional but less than stellar replacement.

Last edited:

elainedwright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2011
georgia
Finally a lazy afternoon after a long stretch of crazy go go go work.

Photo of clear pinch redacted for now.

Any electricians want a job so maybe I can have another lazy afternoon in 2018?
If you know of any we need some in Georgia also!

Reactions: Gigdujour

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
The young kids for the most part don't want the dirty jobs. That has been going on for quite some time now so there is a shortage in many construction trades. Society (and school councilors) push them towards college and "cushy" jobs. We all know that there is a certain percentage of kids who should go into the trades cause they aren't going to be doctors or lawyers or engineers or bankers etc and they can make a good living in the trades if they start young. Carl (the former electrical teacher at the local trade school and whom was there before I went there for electronics classes in high school) didn't have enough students several years ago to have a class and they still don't so he retired. If it continues the way it has been going the last decade or so there is going to be a real shortage of skilled trade labor as us old timers get too decrepit to do it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The young kids for the most part don't want the dirty jobs. That has been going on for quite some time now so there is a shortage in many construction trades. Society (and school councilors) push them towards college and "cushy" jobs. We all know that there is a certain percentage of kids who should go into the trades cause they aren't going to be doctors or lawyers or engineers or bankers etc and they can make a good living in the trades if they start young. Carl (the former electrical teacher at the local trade school and whom was there before I went there for electronics classes in high school) didn't have enough students several years ago to have a class and they still don't so he retired. If it continues the way it has been going the last decade or so there is going to be a real shortage of skilled trade labor as us old timers get too decrepit to do it.
Funny thing is, an electrician doesn't have a particularly dirty job most of the time. Numerous other trades are far dirtier and/or more physically demanding. But it's getting real hard to find anyone in the trades now, and those you do find are generally all middle-aged to approaching retirement.

FWIW, I just waited four weeks to get some plumbing work finished up. The guy uses his step son as a helper, but it's quite obvious that the kid doesn't wanna be doing it.

elainedwright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2011
georgia
I'm not sure where the shortage of electricians is coming from but my hubby has been working 6 days for the last several months as well.
Funny thing is, an electrician doesn't have a particularly dirty job most of the time. Numerous other trades are far dirtier and/or more physically demanding. But it's getting real hard to find anyone in the trades now, and those you do find are generally all middle-aged to approaching retirement.

FWIW, I just waited four weeks to get some plumbing work finished up. The guy uses his step son as a helper, but it's quite obvious that the kid doesn't wanna be doing it.

We run a commercial MEP company and it's almost impossible to find younger people to work. If we can't find some folks that don't have "gray hair" before long I don't know what we are going to do. They aren't to be had for any amount of money and if we luck up on anyone they can't put their phone down long enough to get any work done.
Are any of you familiar with Mike Rowe? If not look him up on the the internet.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
We run a commercial MEP company and it's almost impossible to find younger people to work. If we can't find some folks that don't have "gray hair" before long I don't know what we are going to do. They aren't to be had for any amount of money and if we luck up on anyone they can't put their phone down long enough to get any work done.
Are any of you familiar with Mike Rowe? If not look him up on the the internet.
It's true! Go into any business and chances are 99.9% you will see employees on their phones.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Why did the koala fall out of the tree?

It was dead.

Why did the next koala fall out of the tree?

It was dead.

Peer pressure.

Thought it was a game.

Why did the next koala fall out of the tree?:

It was tied to a fridge.

Why did billy fall off his bike?

He was hit by 5 koalas and a fridge.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

shortest day of the year today

nights have been as low as 2 C, but daytimes are mostly sunny and comfortable :)

have you got your annual week or two of good weather in WA yet? :?:

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I am on the other side of the Cascades. Avg summer temps 75-80, lots of sun. We get HOT here too though. 100+ in July and August, but its a dry heat. Winter is another story. We can end up with several feet of snow on the ground that lasts many, many (many) months with temps as low as -15. Washington has more climate zones than any other state, its easy to find what you want here.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
I disagree! There is no place there where it remains warm enough for me in the winter.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I disagree! There is no place there where it remains warm enough for me in the winter.
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!:D Plus, that's what boots and coats are for. You can only take so much off when its hot. Easy to add layers when cold.

I do like having four seasons. The key is finding activities in each of the seasons. For me, I get by in winter with snowboarding, plenty of mountains around here to explore. I taught my daughter to snowboard when she was 3. She just turned 10. Problem now is that its so :censored: expensive. Last time we went up, it was $200 after we had boards on our feet and chili in our tummies. Next year, we will have to forgo the chili.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!:D Plus, that's what boots and coats are for. You can only take so much off when its hot. Easy to add layers when cold.

I do like having four seasons. The key is finding activities in each of the seasons. For me, I get by in winter with snowboarding, plenty of mountains around here to explore. I taught my daughter to snowboard when she was 3. She just turned 10. Problem now is that its so :censored: expensive. Last time we went up, it was $200 after we had boards on our feet and chili in our tummies. Next year, we will have to forgo the chili.
Thermos of chili................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread