◙ Li’l PINCH (←thang) ◙ pdib (←maker) ◙ not sayin’ (←just sayin’) ◙ shuh-ZAM! (←hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If you don't want to pick a battery through research, and you just want to be told which battery to buy:

AW IMR 18650 1600mAh
Samsung INR 18650 20R 2000mAh
Sony VTC3 or VTC4
I went with VTC5. The amusing thing is: Some of them are still in service. The one I have in my green Pinch right now was made in January of 2014 and purchased the same year. Last summer I did a full capacity test on some of them using a West Mountain Radio CBA and they still averaged around 90% of the rated 2600 mAh. If you tootle-'puff these (I run a single 0.75 ohm coil) they seem to last almost forever. I have not gotten that kind of longevity out of any of the other cells I've tried.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I went with VTC5. The amusing thing is: Some of them are still in service. The one I have in my green Pinch right now was made in January of 2014 and purchased the same year. Last summer I did a full capacity test on some of them using a West Mountain Radio CBA and they still averaged around 90% of the rated 2600 mAh. If you tootle-'puff these (I run a single 0.75 ohm coil) they seem to last almost forever. I have not gotten that kind of longevity out of any of the other cells I've tried.

my first thought was, this fellow isn't the type to find any excuse to buy new gear (i.e. batteries).

and then my second thought was . . .. "I did a full capacity test on some of them using a West Mountain Radio CBA" . . . . . or is, actually.

:)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
my first thought was, this fellow isn't the type to find any excuse to buy new gear (i.e. batteries).
Oh, I have plenty of newer batteries too. In my ADV mod (the walnut Pinch) I ran a set of LG brown bombers for two years. Test results on those were not so good at that point. I'm now coming up on two years on a set of Sammy pink cells and it will be interesting to see how they compare once I remove them from service and test them. Gonna run Moilcels next. I'm also doing some age-testing. Identical cells (unused except for an initial test) in the freezer, in the fridge (yeah, yeah, Mooch says don't do that, but I need a bit of danger in my life) and at room temperature. My guess is that lower temperatures will slow the aging process of cells in storage, but it seems nobody has had the patience to do the real-world testing find out if it's true.

As for those VTC5s from 2014, it's become a challenge to see how long they remain serviceable. I'll retire them when they get to (or below) 80%, or when their internal resistance rises too much. Caveat with them: The green pinch is my night-stand / wake up mod and it only gets a freshly charged cell every 2-3 days, unlike the walnut ADV that gets one every day, come hell or high water.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've been using Molicels for a while now.
But I'm not testing them or pushing them or anything.
I'm still stuck in my disappointment phase wherein I would usually get a solid vape down to about 3.5V (easily) with sub-ohm; and I rarely go below 3.8-3.75 with these ~1Ω piffle-puff nose-hits before it gets to be not good enough.
So, paying attention to battery stats is just like rubbing salt in it.
:(

Still totally satisfied with the nose-hit life, and solidly back in alkaline country. :) (freebase)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've never pushed batteries hard either. The lowest I go is 0.5 ohms in my nuppins (dual 1.0 ohm coils). For singles, I've always found 0.75 to be about right, and this hasn't really changed since my very first Cyclone on top of dibi-oliveR-sumpin #0002 more than six years ago. I also use my ("Burns") bottles as a gauge and re-fill when they get down to roughly half, at which point I also swap in a freshly charged cell. This happens once a day with the walnut pinch that's runs nothing but my ADV unflavored juice, and less frequently on the others that get flavored juice dripped in from the top to spice thing up a bit. This means they're rarely under 3.8V when they go back in the charger.

However I am keenly interested in the longevity of cells, both under my my particular conditions of use, and especially in storage. That's because batteries are just about the only thing I will have to keep buying in order to continue to vape in the manner to which I have become accustomed.

What's the only way to really know what kind of shape a battery is in after a period of use, or an unused battery that's been in storage for a lengthy period of time? Test it using accurate instruments, which really aren't that expensive; I spent less on the CBA and my AC resistance meter together than any of my mods. It's also quite revealing. E.g. I had no idea that my brown bombers had degraded as much as they did after two years in service. It wasn't apparent during use because I'm only using the their top half, but most of the capacity loss was in the bottom half of the curve; go figure.

One of these days I'll start a thread with all my data in the Batteries section...

Last edited:

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
i ordered actual shoes :cool:

CF10052BLAQB_4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread