0mg Vaping and Pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
Hi! New guy here, lurking for the last two months or so... I've searched the threads here and other sites and can't find anything on this topic specifically.

I got in to eCigs when I received one for Father's day. I put it down mid-July, but picked it back up again this weekend, and today marks my 72 hour analog free anniversary. Yay! I'm excited and proud of myself!

To the point: My wife is about twenty weeks along with our second bundle of joy. She's been a 10-15 a day smoker (Camel Turkish Royals) for the last ten years or so. She quit completely with our first pregnancy, but she's had a very hard time this round. She'll have days where she doesn't have any, and other days 2-3 throughout the day. This is partly why I'm back on the eCig; I'm probably very much to blame as I kept smoking once we found out this time, and the temptation was too hard for her, especially after a stressful day of chasing a six year old around!

I'm wondering if I should get her setup to start vaping 0mg to see if that can't suffice her habit enough to get her by. My concern is that while I'm quite sure vaping is much better than an analog and I would recommend it to anyone, we do have to admit that there isn't extensive studies done on them and what we're inhaling. I'm willing to chance it personally, but who's to say there isn't one single vapor byproduct that wouldn't be harmful to an unborn child in development? I would not want to force that on anyone, especially a child!

So what are your thoughts? Obviously, the ultimate would be to not do either at all. I'm sure some of you will bash her right off the bat for having a smoke or two while pregnant, and that's fine, I can accept that and am not proud of her for doing it although I can relate to her addiction. But if you were pregnant, or your wife was, and you had to choose between smoking an analog here or there, or having a cart of 0mg VG-based juice, which option would you take and for what reasoning?

I appreciate and value everyone's comments here, such a great wealth of information and great people!!

cent

Judge Mental

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
FL
Hi cent...

Wow... that's really a tough yet interesting question.

Without question, the best thing to do would be neither.

That said, if I were faced with the dilema and I just couldn't kick the cigarettes; I would choose the unknowns of the e-cig rather than the known carcinogens and poisons in cigarettes. One of the dangers of that is if one feels it's not as harmful, they might be apt to do it more often. I would try to tough it out and if I just couldn't get past the addiction, I'd take a puff from the e-cig to attempt quell the craving and then put it right down again.

This is in no way condoning either in this situation.

Best wishes to you and your family.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Even though we don't really know what effects vaping could have on an unborn child, it's undoubtedly much safer than smoking.

If she can't stop the habit, i agree that vaping 0mg liquid might help, but i'd suggest that she uses a strong flavor with a good throat hit so it feels more like smoking.

Its possible that the withdrawal from nicotine will be hard on her, so weaning her off slowly might be safer. Whatever you decide to do, talk to your OB/GYN. He/she would know better than anyone on this forum what's best for your wife and baby.

Congratulations ;)

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
No.. she needs to quit smoking and not vape. There are too many unknown factors involved with a developing fetus to play the guessing game here. Sorry for the lecture, I hate being an ....

Head over to the health section and spend a few hours researching. I also agree with Dragonpuff regarding the OB/GYN

Last edited:

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
No.. she needs to quit smoking and not vape. There are too many unknown factors involved with a developing fetus to play the guessing game here. Sorry for the lecture, I hate being an ....

Head over to the health section and spend a few hours researching. I also agree with Dragonpuff regarding the OB/GYN

No problem on the lecture, I fully expected it! And I couldn't agree more that she needs to quit, but that's easier said than done! I know I couldn't do it on my own, and that's without the hormonal changes, not being able to see my feet, not being able to get comfortable, not sleeping more than a few hours at a time, all while working and taking care of a six year old. I'm not trying to make excuses for her, nor condone her actions; But I know the grips of addiction even without the additional stresses.

We have spoken with her OB/GYN. Like any other doctor, she informed us of the potential risks with her continuing to smoke, and suggested she quit. She said she had never heard of an eCig and therefor couldn't speak to the potential risks with them. For a $15 co-pay, we found out exactly what we already knew!

I've done some preliminary research here and elsewhere. While I can find references to fetus development with nicotine and other carcinogens, I can't find anything relating to propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin inhalation and pregnancy. In fact, I'm to the point where I think they probably don't even exist!

In a perfect world, we would ALL simply just put down the cigarettes and not even vape; Hell, we'd never even start to begin with. But most of us don't live in that world.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
Congratulations!! I agree with the others that your wife should not smoke or vape - but if she has to do something I think that vaping would be safer than smoking. My concern with vaping is any damage that may be happening to my lungs. I'm not worried so much about the chemicals in the bloodstream - I just don't think there are that many. That being said, if your wife must do one or the other (I sooooo understand), my opinion is that vaping would be less dangerous for your baby.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
imho
if my wife were pregnant, im sure she would agree, the best thing she should do is not smoke or vape. If she had to do one, vape. but im sure the nicotine would make it to the unborn child. could be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time. So if you had to vape, 0mg would be preferred over the lowest amount she needed.

rho

babies are cute

Last edited:

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
In a perfect world, we would ALL simply just put down the cigarettes and not even vape; Hell, we'd never even start to begin with. But most of us don't live in that world.

I understand how hard it is, but it is not about either of you now. You have the responsibility to ensure that child does not suffer any long term effects. Aauhrg.. I hate telling people what to do.. Especially using a guilt trip to do so. It goes against my nature. I'm honestly sorry for this. But I can in no way suggest an untested product on pregnancy to you. Nor can I offer you lenience on smoking..

Being a parent is hell.. ;) But having a healthy child is well worth the effort. I hope I don't catch hell for saying this.

Fisherman

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
UK
You mentioned that you had done some research. What was the position with patches/gum in relation to pregnancy? Is it recommended or not? That might be a (poor) alternative, assuming it was safe. Having said that, I have to agree with others about potential nicotine dependancy being passed on, as other addictions have been shown to do.

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
The only thing Id worry about on the vaping is the flavorings, no clue if flavorings can cause birth defects see if she can vape unflavored or something, but if she can't quit smoking well she doesnt need to beat herself up to much lots of babies have been born to mothers that smoked. I'm sure im gonna get some flack for that opionion but just cause you have a womb doesnt mean its any easier to quit smoking.

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
Hi I'm Kit's partner and have been forced to reply by Kit because I have just had my second child. I was a 10 -15 a day smoker and had my first child 8 years ago and tried so hard to give up smoking but found it really difficult especially as my partner was going through a nervous breakdown during my pregnancy and eventually we divorced. Although I shouldn't have smoked my beautiful daughter was and is perfectly healthy and is now 8 years old.

With my second child with Kit we had been using e-cigs for a few months prior to conception and after some reservations and detailed research, and even though there are no tests as yet to the effects of vaping, I decided to continue vaping 14mg. I couldn't give up smoking completely because as with yourselves, Kit was still vaping in front of me all day - and it's so hard to give up! But today we have a beautiful healthy 7 month old baby boy. I think with the choices available, i.e. NRT, I feel that vaping is no more or less harmful than NRT.

Hope this helps and good luck to you both!

Kit's Mrs (but not yet still waiting!!!!!!)

Last edited:

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
I understand how hard it is, but it is not about either of you now. You have the responsibility to ensure that child does not suffer any long term effects. Aauhrg.. I hate telling people what to do.. Especially using a guilt trip to do so. It goes against my nature. I'm honestly sorry for this. But I can in no way suggest an untested product on pregnancy to you. Nor can I offer you lenience on smoking..

Being a parent is hell.. ;) But having a healthy child is well worth the effort. I hope I don't catch hell for saying this.

No problem Jim, you and I see eye-to-eye! It hasn't been about us for the last six years, so I'm used to that! And I hate telling her what to do, or what she should do rather, too! But she's her own woman and will make her own decisions. If it were up to me, neither of us would smoke nor vape! I'm looking to do two things with this thread -- Make a logical determination on which would be a better choice of the two (if it has to be one or the other), and secondly come back with ammo on both sides of the fence for both arguments. I sincerely do appreciate your input!!

Fisherman said:
What was the position with patches/gum in relation to pregnancy? Is it recommended or not?
The only time the patches and gum came up were with the doctor. The wife can't do the patches due to her sensitive skin and them causing her to break out and have a reaction to it. The doctor advised against the gum, as they both contain nicotine, which is consider a poison and could be harmful to the fetus. We didn't go in to specifics as to what chemicals cause low birth weight (the doctors main concern) but I would think at a minimum there is the passing of nicotine addiction to the baby.

Stephanie, rhoneil, and maryjo -- Thank you all very much for your input, too! The flavor inhalation was another concern as well. My thought is if she could get by with the hand-to-mouth action and the throat hit, it may be enough to make it until December with a cigarette.

And Kit's better-half ;-) especially! I was hoping to hear from at least one person who had vaped while pregnant, thank you! And congrats on your new addition as well!!

JennFL5366

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Pinellas Park
i would actually say ( i know ill get heat from it ) but as someone said if she is only doing 2 or 3 analogs a day she should be fine. we know the risks with analogs not with vaping. if she has to have something i would suggest that. but not too frequently until she can quit. its a touchy situation and in the end will have to be a decision you both will have to make. we as adults don't even at this point know what vaping may or may not do. we know wha smoking does. good luck in whatever you choose!!

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
Hello
Congratulations on your new family member!
I am 51 years old. I expect no one to condemn me for the following and neither is it meant to suggest a level of safety for your unborn child.
It is what it is- and before the information was available women did not necessarily quit smoking while pregnant. My daughter is 23 years old - I smoked - she was born healthy.... as have been thousands upon thousands upon thousands of other babies who's mothers smoked while pregnant.
(Mine did as did most women who smoked during the 50's)

I always suggest any and every woman to make her own choices - just so we're clear here.

It is wonderful (truly) that we have all the research to now know it's best not to. And yet babies have been born healthy and matured into healthy adults for many years...... though mother smoked while pregnant.

As for vaping instead- or any other nicotine delivery system - there really isn't the research (as you stated) to draw any generalized, intelligent conclusions.

My personal biggest effort would be to
1. minimize the amt of smoke/vapor/nicotine - to the fullest extent possible.
2. once baby is born do not expose him/her to smoke.... or vapor for that matter.

Again - I am not 'endorsing' smoking during pregnancy - nor suggesting anyone ignore their own health and the health of their baby.

Do your best - that's the best you can do.
Blessings,
Kathy

Last edited:

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
i would actually say ( i know ill get heat from it ) but as someone said if she is only doing 2 or 3 analogs a day she should be fine. we know the risks with analogs not with vaping. if she has to have something i would suggest that. !

If 2 or 3 analogues a day are fine and you don't know the risks with vaping why are you vaping ? ? ?

Message from Kit's Mrs to centronix - Just wanted to add that the one best thing you can do for your partner is NOT TO SMOKE - I think it is easy for men to say to their partners that they shouldn't smoke while pregnant but still carry on smoking themselves. Maybe if you did try giving up completely you may feel the pressure that she is under. ;)

Fisherman

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
UK
This is a great thread which you have started, and possibly one of the first which has received 100% considered replies. You are right to ask for opinions, even although the answers aren't always going to cheer you up:) - but you knew that.

Whatever you decide, well done for going "public" on an issue which many may have been reluctant to air, especially on a forum which is, in reality, 100% pro vaping and where, thank goodness, people have given responsible replies. To see posts arguing for caution is welcome.

I aspire to educate all smokers of the huge benefits of vaping, but only smokers and those who seek to take away their new found freedom. As for the next generation, probably best if they do neither because they will need all their pennies to pay off our collective national debts:D

However, as my old mum says, there's plenty worse things out there!

Good luck anyway.

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
Message from Kit's Mrs to centronix - Just wanted to add that the one best thing you can do for your partner is NOT TO SMOKE - I think it is easy for men to say to their partners that they shouldn't smoke while pregnant but still carry on smoking themselves. Maybe if you did try giving up completely you may feel the pressure that she is under. ;)

I agree whole heartedly! And I admit I have zero will-power and can't give it up completely, which is why I'm back to an eCig and why I can't possibly be fuming mad at her for continuing to smoke!! I'm vaping 24mg this week with the intent of moving down 4mg every week until I'm at 0mg, which will be before Junior gets here. I try my best to not do it in front of her (although she busts me sometimes) and want to set an example for the entire family. It killed me when my six year old told me she was going to smoke when she grew up, just like Daddy. :nah:

I completely understand her pressure and her guilt and am doing everything I can to be supportive of her as a husband, while keeping her and the baby's health right now at the forefront. I absolutely try to be a caring, loving, and understanding husband and not a "Do as I say, not as I do!" type.

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
This is a great thread which you have started, and possibly one of the first which has received 100% considered replies. You are right to ask for opinions, even although the answers aren't always going to cheer you up:) - but you knew that.

Whatever you decide, well done for going "public" on an issue which many may have been reluctant to air, especially on a forum which is, in reality, 100% pro vaping and where, thank goodness, people have given responsible replies. To see posts arguing for caution is welcome.

I aspire to educate all smokers of the huge benefits of vaping, but only smokers and those who seek to take away their new found freedom. As for the next generation, probably best if they do neither because they will need all their pennies to pay off our collective national debts:D

However, as my old mum says, there's plenty worse things out there!

Good luck anyway.

Thanks Fisherman! I figured we probably weren't the first couple to face the delima and with as popular as PVs are becoming, probably won't be the last. Besides, I'm new here and have no reputation to ruin, so I figured if I get strung-up and chastised to the point of embarrassment, I've lost nothing and someone else can learn from this too! :)

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
As for vaping instead- or any other nicotine delivery system - there really isn't the research (as you stated) to draw any generalized, intelligent conclusions.

My personal biggest effort would be to
1. minimize the amt of smoke/vapor/nicotine - to the fullest extent possible.
2. once baby is born do not expose him/her to smoke.... or vapor for that matter.

Again - I am not 'endorsing' smoking during pregnancy - nor suggesting anyone ignore their own health and the health of their baby.

Do your best - that's the best you can do.
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy, thank you so much for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. We can second guess all day long how much better this is for us, and we may very well be right; But there is still a whole lot left unknown. We're adults, and if we choose to gamble with vaping versus smoking, that's our decision. But when it comes to making a rational decision when another life is concerned, you can't without the data to back it up.

We know what could possibly happen from cigarette inhalation by a pregnant woman. We know statistically how often those possibilities occur and how severe they can be. We know absolutely nothing about vaping and it's effects to an unborn fetus.

We will both continue to work through this together, and I'm going to do what I can to help her out. If she's already down to 2-3 a day on a bad day, we're that much closer to none at all! Maybe an extra foot rub, or coming home early and taking the rugrat to the park might be enough to fight off the stress that pushes her over the edge! Thank you all for your kind words of support and input. It is sincerely appreciated!

willsgirlie

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Fort Meade, Maryland
I know how hard it is, I got lucky the first time and they made me literally sick soon after I found out I was pregnant, but the second time they didn't make me sick so it was REALLY REALLY hard, I finally did it, miserably and counted the days til I could smoke again. I know how hard it is, I am not even sure what I would have done if I knew about e-cigs while I was pregnant.. I think if you do switch to vaping it should not be like "okay I am vaping, that's good enough" I think she should make an effort to stop vaping also, but while you are in limbo between smoking and quitting, vaping might be a good option..... hope that makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread