1/23/14 - ITV show tonight 7:30 in UK; EU ENVI hearings; US - possible FDA interstate sales ban (WSJ) + Boston, NYC, OH, OK (St. Sen hearings), CO, UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Big haul today starts with UK (ITV show tonight 7:30) then goes to Europe (EU subcmte hearings), possible FDA interstate sales ban, US E. Coast (Boston, NYC), and make our way via OH, OK, CO, UT and NV over to CA (LA and SD).

Any UK ITV watchers? Please tune in at 7:30pm for this and post about it (Liverpool, but I believe all TV in the UK is national): Pick of the day: The Rise Of The E-Cigarette | TV & Radio | Entertainment | Daily Express

E. Sussex (UK), Medial News Today ("study" shows airway constriction in some users - but to my lay eyes it looks like a pathetic bit of thoughtless science): www . medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249784.php

From ITN/Reuters (UK), some kind of WHO press release or report today?: ITN News » World Health Organisation warns over E-cigarette toxins

This appears to relate to an EU Parliament meeting of the Cmte. on Environment & Public Health, someone with more knowledge of the situation in the EU might want to comment: Joint Declaration of the E-cigarette Industry

WSJ (US), FDA considering online sales ban (do they have the authority to do that, if they can't ban importation?): FDA Discusses Banning Online Sales of E-Cigarettes - WSJ.com

[Note: if you get the pay wall message, clear your cookies and then close/reopen your browser. You get one free article at the WSJ that way.]

Forbes (US) article about the Golden Globes thing and PVD use by minors. Forbes continues to take a measured approach as one might anticipate given Steve Forbes' position. Article written by AEI-affiliated Yale psychiatrist: Are Hollywood Starlets Glamorizing Smoking By Using E-Cigarettes? - Forbes

Opinion piece in unaffiliated Boston radio station site (MA, US), more fallout from the Gloden Globes thing - note legislation pending in MA. No junk science just a lot of "junk implications:"
www boston
com/lifestyle/health/mdmama/2014/01/thank_you_senator_markey_for_calling_out_nbc_on_e-cigarettes.html

NYC Fox Affiliate, more notable for what appears to be NewsCorp's editorial policy than anything else: Electronic cigarettes - New York News (it's interesting the way right-leaning US publications seem to support vapers and left-leaning seem to oppose us, this parellels the peculiar political lineup among local jurisdictions and may also reflect feelings among the public).

Cleveland (OH, US) local ABC affiliate hit job. What's notable about this one is the emphasis on the alleged incendiary effects of batteries (which are already regulated by the CPSC if I don't miss my guess):

www . newsnet5 .
com/news/electronic-cigarettes-are-raising-health-and-safety-concerns-across-the-country-some-causing-fires

NewsOK/The Oklahoman (OK City US): this is behind a pay wall, and I can't get to it. It may contain junk science so I broke the link. As we know Gov. Falin signed a bill to ban PVDs on state property:

newsok com/e-cigarette-hobby-turns-into-business-for-oklahoma-vapor-store-owners/article/3926305

More interesting (also from OK City, US - state capital), concerning St. Sen. hearings and refreshingly objective:E-Cigarette Debate Continues In Oklahoma Senate - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

same subject from Tulsa World (Tulsa daily paper): Oklahoma legislators hear arguments for, against e-cigarettes - Tulsa World: Homepagelatest

Ogden (UT, US) another TV station story about use by minors which uses the standard statistical trick (i.e. use by minors is rising rapidly - what they don't mention is that this is less than analogs and basically parallels the overall increase in use, as one might anticipate): i.e. this are "junk numbers.":

www . 4utah.com/story/concerned-teachers-parents-meet-to-discuss-e-cigar/d/story/jjKqiSTTBka0CQh47kOidg

Fairly benign, local CBS affiliate in Aurora (Denver CO, US suburb): Health Department Wants FDA To Regulate E-Cigarettes « CBS Denver

Reno NV (US), fairly balanced (local CBS? affiliate), with a surprisingly mild position taken by the NV Cancer Coalition (they appear to be unaffiliated w/ the ACS which may explain why they aren't towing the ACS line): E-Cigarettes: Ally In No-Smoking Campaigns Or Simply New Player?

Los Angeles MBC TV affilliate (CA, US) - no junk science but the way in which the page is presented seems to subtley associate PVDs with illegal drug usage by minors, which is a tactic that we'll probably see a good deal more of in the future:

www . nbclosangeles . com/news/local/LA-Regulates-E-Cigarettes-Amid-Fears-of-Teen-Usage-241624151.html

Ditto this one by the San Diego (CA, US) NBC affiliate:

www . nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Concerns-Rise-over-Usage-of-Hash-Oil-with-E-Cigarettes-241416261.html

Also in San Diego, from a La Jolla web site which appears to be run by a consortium of local papers - we see the usual stuff about minors, but what's unusual about this one is the emphasis on hookahs (must be a California thing?). Despite the article's title, it appears to be based on anectdotal evidence, and quotes UCSD faculty (UCSD appears to be a bit of a hotbed for hit job studies):

www . lajollalight . com/2014/01/22/frontline-cancer-the-medical-truth-about-e-cigs-and-hookahs/

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Wow, that's quite a list. Thanks for posting these in one place so we can check them off one by one. I'm sure the dire ones will be found and a new thread just for them will open. Like the w.h.o. shenanigans....

p.s. The calif ones? BP is upset because the raw oil like that aids, relieves, cures many of bp's specialties, such as ADHD, cancers, pain, ... which means more are legally or parental consent are finally ridding the town of Ridalin & other terrors.
The ANTZ enjoy fear mongering it, but anyone whose ever priced the stuff will know that it's not used abusively.
the ANTZ also fear monger about the ages... minors, 12 yr olds driving around stoned lol ... they really mix up the pot to call the kettle black.
The ANTZ also fear monger that the harmless zero nicotine pens (also called hookah pens which is dumb) are addicting the minors TO nicotine lol. (Impossible). The ANTZ are terrified because even the next generation will be nicotine free, smoke free. No more illegal smoke tax incomes for those ANTZ.

Pss. By raising phoney exaggerated scares, they provide a background for planted evidence busts. It's happening all over. I hope ALL VENDORS PUT IN MULTI ANGLE CAMERAS!!!
Here is one video that exploits the lowdown.
It says the naught censored word, but it is about a smoke shop and setups, and it feel extremely important for ALL VENDORS MUST SEE THIS.
http://youtu.be/hMA1Otuat2U

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread