1/31/14 - BREAKING: Poway CA considers defining vaping as smoking mtg Tues; UC Riverside study; UK, Ireland, Ca., US States: PA; WV; MI; IL; TX; ID; N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
City of Poway CA considers defining vaping as smoking - Council meets Tues; UC Riverside pseudo-study (also analyzed by Gary Cox on ECF Info Zone); C.V. Phillips on ASH twitter censorship; otherwise a slow day - yesterday's "hit job" by Phillip McAndrew of Loyola college of med. hasn't yet been picked up by the mainstream media but a blogger published a refutation of the claim that PG is a "hazard." Letter in The Lnncet.

Coverage: NZ, UK, Ireland, Ca., US States: PA; WV; MI; IL; TX; ID; NM; AZ; CA

(C.V. Phillips on Twitter Censorship by UK's equivalent of no-smoke DOT org, ASH DOT org DOT uk) ASH UK lies to censor criticism: bogus legal claim against critic | Anti-THR Lies and related topics

(ECF's own Info Zone - Gary Cox) Who says Big Tobacco speaks for Vapers? - ECF InfoZone [Discusses how vapers are getting smeared by the association with BT, and BT's legislative agenda]

(ECF's own Info Zone - Gary Cox) California study finds only healthful chemicals in e-cig vapor! - ECF InfoZone [discusses the SD CA US ABC affiliate study below at UC Riverside - minor error in the story IDs station as SF ABC affiliate instead of SD]

(Ind. blog) Electronic Cigarettes Vaping Latest News Real-Time Updates [this person is doing exactly what I'm doing in my daily round-ups, although there is no analyis - those of you who are PV news addicts might want to bookmark it]

(Ind. blog) http://www.electroniccigaretteconsu...ch-liquid-nicotine-strength-is-right-for-you/ [analysis of e-juice nic. %/content; little here that most of us don't know, but I was surprised to hear that 5.4% = 54mg/ml is now being offered]

(NZ med. journal The Lancet) www . thelancet . com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2814%2960144-6/fulltext?version=printerFriendly [Letter discusses Bullen study - claims that PVs can't be promoted as tobacco harm reduction (THR) because of the CDCs figures on minors, i.e. essentially uses those figures to assume w/o evidence that:
Thus, e-cigarettes are not suitable as a universal harm reduction measure because they might generate a new market for nicotine dependence. Furthermore, there is evidence that use of virtual (electronic) cigarettes increases smokers' cravings.4 E-cigarette use in public places could have a negative effect on those who are attempting to quit, which has not been studied. Therefore, it is hazardous to promote using e-cigarettes to aid someone's cessation while potentially increasing risk to others.[citations omitted]
- calls for refutation IMO]

(UK ind. pro-vaping web site) Doctor Claims Propylene Glycol 'Hazard if Inhaled' [refutation of the claim that PG is a "hazard" in that horrid article by Phillip McAndrew out of Loyola College of Medicine that got syndicated yesterday - this is the only mention I've found today]

(Ireland nat'l paper) www . irishtimes . com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-agency-to-grant-aid-e-cigarette-production-in-connemara-1.1674370 [Regional Galway-area Irish commerce agency to provide $5M euros for new PV factory; Ireland has not yet banned minor sales - this is mentioned. No junk.]

(Calgary Herald Calgary AB Ca.) www . calgaryherald . com/health/cigarettes%20really%20help%20smokers%20kick%20habit/9446423/story.html [general discussion of PVs and smoking cessation - mentions recent studies in The Lancet and NEJM; no junk that I can see. Surprising statistic: "e-cigarette users increased from one to six per cent of the population" (no country is referenced, and I think this is buggy).]

(ind. US author/blogger Tom Remington) E-Cigarette Super Bowl Ad Could Save Lives Because They Help Smokers Quit Smoking Tobacco | Tom Remington (article on this weekend's super bowl ad, mainly posted because it contains a good bibliography of recent articles by Jeff Stier of the right-wing think tank Nat'l Ctr. for Public Policy Research: I believe his testimony may have been influential in IN's decision not to extend its clean air act to vaping. Also see press release: E-Cigarette Super Bowl Ad Could Save Lives Because E-Cigarettes Help Smokers Quit Smoking Tobacco ]

(Philadelphia PA US WHYY PBS? affliate) www . newsworks . org/index.php/health-science/item/64327-philadelphia-considering-a-ban-on-indoor-electronic-cigarette-use [discussion of Philadelphia's proposed indoor vaping ban; both sides' presentations given, this reporter did her homework. Junk comes from the anti-vaping side.]

(Huntingon WV US local paper) www . huntingtonnews . net/81201 [junk-free article on vaping etiquette: WV has no statewide laws on vaping and I'm not aware of anything that's been introduced since a 2012 ban on tobacco burning explicitly excluded PVs]

(Grand Rapids MI US ABC affiliate) www . wzzm13 . com/video/3088014495001/1/Proposal-would-ban-e-cigarette-sales-to-minors (Video report on MI's pending legislation banning sales to minors. No junk except interview w/ co-sponsor St. Sen. Rick Jones, who cites flavors as evidence of dangers to minors. Interestingly the Sen. didn't mention adult usage, but as always any bill banning sales to minors can "morph" into more]

(Chicago IL US ind. web site) www . dnainfo . com/chicago/20140131/lakeview/new-high-end-e-cigarette-shop-vape312-opening-on-sheffield [article on new vape shop in Lakeview; no junk that I Can see]

(Tyler TX US ABC affiliate) www . kltv . com/story/24595441/smoke-screens-a-special-report-on-the-booming-e-cigarette-industry [General story on popularity of PVs, a little junk but not much]

(ID Falls ID US ABC affiliate) m . localnews8 . com/news/police-more-kids-smoking-ecigarettes/-/22687724/24224012/-/49u0ilz/-/index.html [story claims that PVs sold to minors in violation of ID law]

(Farmington NM US local paper) www . daily-times . com/four_corners-news/ci_25031575/aztec-and-bloomfield-school-districts-ban-e-cigarette [sch. dist. bans - it's not clear if possession of PVs is also legal for adult staffers, but appears to be illegal for adult students. Refers to pending legislation on minor ban; watch for the "moroph" in NM in which the bill is altered to equate vaping with smoking for all purposes under state law. Fair amount of junk.]

(Phoenix AZ US ABC affiliate) www . abc15 . com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/arizona-seeing-more-cases-of-nicotine-over-exposure-from-e-cigarettes [report on children getting nicotine poisoning from drinking e-juice; some junk]

(San Diego CA local paper - Poway) www . utsandiego . com/news/2014/jan/30/cigarettes-electronic-poway-smoke/ [Proposed expansion of clean air ord. in city of Poway to include vaping (does that mean outdoor vaping in parks, too?)- Council Meeting Tues Feb 4 - some junk on minors which seems to have nothing to do with the proposed ordinance. If you attend the meeting, you might run into this guy: www . pomeradonews . com/2014/01/31/lippman-medical-truths-concerning-e-cigarettes-and-hookahs/ ]

(San Diego CA US ABC affiliate) www . 10news . com/news/investigations/e-cigarettes-under-fire-by-critics-team-10-tests-the-vapor-01292014 [continuation of yesterday's junk-filled story - in today's version they took two Chinese all-in-ones, a Smoking Everywhere Platinum and a Mystic and tested the at a UC Riverside lab. Unsurprisingly, they found that the first one contained nanoparticles of metals in the vapor. We've seen this in other junk studies: cheap all-in-ones are being tested for both cessation effectiveness and vapor contamination in an effort to smear all PVs. HOWEVER, it turns out that the dangers are not as readers are lead to believe: California study finds only healthful chemicals in e-cig vapor! - ECF InfoZone ]

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
"but I was surprised to hear that 5.4% = 54mg/ml is now being offered" There is some research out there that indicates that 50mg/ml is about equivalent to the nicotine delivered by a tobacco cigarette. Dr. Farsalinos has said that I believe..

Fascinating. Once I start DIY'g, I'll get a better idea - but right now I figure I'm probably doing about 1.2% (12mg/ml) because I buy 2.4% and keep dumping in VG. I don't notice that I'm any less satisfied, and I think I'm only doing about 2-3ml/day, which roughly corresponds to my old 1-1/3 PAD analog habit. But then I'm not being all that careful about monitoring the numbers.

The other curious thing that I've noticed is that my intake of coffee has diminished, which is interesting ... that might mean that I'm getting more of my need for stimulents from vaping than I got from analogs. I used to use an injector machine with pipe tobacco which I judged to be roughly the equivalent of marlboro reds (or Grand Prixs which are what I switched to after PMI jacked up the price back in 2011).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread