1.8 coil - says 4.2 - 5 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Hi everyone,

I use the nautilis mini, with 1.8 ohm coils. Before I used to enjoy using 9 watts, but nowadays I find myself going higher, to 11-12 watts. (on a regulated target mini device). Is it okay to go this high? Ohms law would say this is dangerous , but the coil says it can go to 5 volts, and at 12 watts , its like 4.8 volts.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Why does ohm's law say this dangerous? 1.8 coil with a 12W draw is only like 2.5 amps. I don't know what battery you/the mod uses, but i'd in awe if it couldn't handle 2.5 amps.

And you're on a regulated mod. If it works you should be OK to do it.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada

Attachments

• vaping-power-chart.png
    vaping-power-chart.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 19

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
That chart doesn't really say it is dangerous just that the RED is too hot a vape.

You are using Wattage not Variable voltage on the regulated mod. If you like the vape, you are good to go. Whatever voltage the mod shows isn't necessarily what the coil is receiving. Wattage is being controlled by the mod.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Authentic aspire nautilus heads have had the voltage and wattage printed on them for about a couple years now.
Voltage on one side, watts on the other.

Sounds like you're getting really old stock or knock off / counterfeit heads.

Always vape to your personal tastes not to a number or chart.

You say you don't enjoy subΩ, have you tried the nautilus .7Ω head?
They work quite well, as cool or as warm as you like depending on the power you use.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
oI'd say going above a coil's recommended wattage may shorten it's life, but I don't believe the wattage you are targeting is necessarily there (sorry don't have it in me to like, check a 1.8 coil stored in the closet, but I think you should be fine.

I have used the 1.6 coil, and that might allow you higher wattage that is still within the targeted "range." It's actually my favorite coil of all three, just enough (a hair) higher wattage and a slightly less restricted "experience."

If you want a warmer vape in that tank, trying the 0.7 coil is not a bad idea. It was a bit much for me, although I found it useful when I was vaping higher VG, and for sure, you could probably go higher on that coil than the other two without compromising coil life as much if you want to go higher wattage. You'll use more battery and more juice, but really, finding the "correct" coil for you may be your best bet to avoid worry. I neither loved nor disliked the coil, but I'd think at higher wattage ranges, you'd get a better vape experience, and coil life. Although I don't think the wattages you are mentioning are a HUGE worry either, except for the possibility of overheating your 1.8 coil and possibly shortening its useful life.

I think all three coils are pretty distinct actually and tend to just be slightly different in terms of vape, draw and etc. If you want to up your wattage, opening airflow some may help keep tank temperatures lower as well.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thank you everyone! How do you know what is the highest you can go on these types of coils? I enjoy MTL and dislike subohming So I prefer 1.2 ohm - 1.8 ohm coils. They only say volts not wattage on the coil. And my mini uses variable wattage, not voltage.

Try it out at various wattages until you find the sweet spot for flavor. If you start to taste slightly burned flavor you've gone too high. That will be the point where the coil starts producing unwanted and probably dangerous aldehyde chemicals like Acroliene. The vape will start to taste a little like burned fat if you go too high in wattage for the coil.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Ive tried 1.2 ohm naut coils and disliked it . No idea why. Tasted perfumy . The only reason i go higher is to taste the juice, i dont mind if its warm or not. Cant wait to try rta’s. Ordered a few awhile ago, still waiting for them.

Authentic aspire nautilus bvc heads are only available in .7Ω, 1.6Ω & 1.8Ω.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yes the triton mini & nautilus heads are interchangeable, sorry I didn't see you mention using triton mini heads in your nautilus.
Those too should be marked with watt range on the head.

The triton mini 1.8Ω claptons work well also if you haven't tried them.

The 1.2Ω triton mini heads (white o rings) should be marked 15-20w
triton mini heads 1.8Ω Clapton ( yellow o rings) should be marked 13-16w

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread