1 year old VTC5's still going strong. Or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
I wouldve thought by now that my 4x VTC5's would have been dead.

I use them all hardcore every day for the past year. I vape at 0.2 ohms so its not like I am very nice to them. I go through 15-20ml a day of liquid so I am constantly vaping.

They still charge to 4.19-4.20 , I still get good performance out of them, I still get long battery life out of them... As much as my samsung 25r cells which are 2 weeks old.

Am I missing something here? Usually what are the tendencies of a battery that is on its last leg? Ive never actually experienced a battery going bad before.

Ive had my vtc5s since april. WIthin that time I also had some red efest imr's. I believe I got the sony vtcs first, if i remember right. Well, I dont have a multimeter, or any of those new chargers that check the voltage. But I can tell you this much,

I have already thrown away the efest, cuz I already noticed the dropped in performance duration and how long it took to charge. I purchased two new mxjo,in nov. and noticed, it last just as long as my old vtc's. So I believe you. Only thing i got to ask is, since sony vtc's are out of the game, what is the main battery of choice for sub-ohmer's now a days? Is there a new battery king, since vtc's have been dethroned? Or are they almost all the same?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I wouldve thought by now that my 4x VTC5's would have been dead.

I use them all hardcore every day for the past year. I vape at 0.2 ohms so its not like I am very nice to them. I go through 15-20ml a day of liquid so I am constantly vaping.

They still charge to 4.19-4.20 , I still get good performance out of them, I still get long battery life out of them... As much as my samsung 25r cells which are 2 weeks old.

Am I missing something here? Usually what are the tendencies of a battery that is on its last leg? Ive never actually experienced a battery going bad before.

If you used two batteries a day, you would have 182 charge/discharge cycles on them all. If you used three batts a day, 273. You should get around 300 charge cycles out of them before they suffer too much, but it all depends on how you treated them. 0.2 ohms is about 20A draw average which is not too bad for these. Of course if your ohm meter is off and the setups are really 0.15 ohms you're really close to 30A. If you never let them go below 3.5v that really helps too.

I check voltage drop under load and recycle mine when that goes up to about 0.8v at 0.5 ohms. When the batts are new they do about 0.4v drop in a couple of my mods. That has only happened to me once and I didn't notice less run time at that point. I certainly noticed more power in a mech mod when I got new batteries. Eventually the run time will go way down, but the max amp draw numbers go down too so I don't wait that long.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Well, I dont have a multimeter, or any of those new chargers that check the voltage.

Considering the amps you appear to draw from the batteries (any brand) I would think obtaining a basic volt/ohm meter would be a good idea. I was taught to check VOLTAGE after EVERY CHARGE to make certain the batteries were not OVERCHARGED should a charger go South on me OR the battery begin to fail from high amp discharge. Checking the voltage can detect dangerous OVERCHARGING that can create as many problems as drawing too many amps for too long a time period.

A functional and quite accurate volt/ohm meter can be found on Amazon / E-Bay / or at your local Radio Shack (some claim they are junk, but comparing the digital meter to my far more expensive Triplett showed great accuracy).

Just a thought I figured I would pass on.

AMAZON --- http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-D...95200&sr=8-11&keywords=digital+volt+ohm+meter

E-BAY --- Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter Multimeter Volt AC DC Tester Meter XL 830L US | eBay <--------------- At $8.88 Shipping Included this meter works very well and is made better than the one on Amazon.

Donnie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread