10 year vaper... Been subohming for 6. Switch to Salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
Hi everyone.. I'm curious to if anyone has switched from freebase subohming to nic salts.. What my perceived benefit would be to vape less.. I'm probably in a weird case.. I'm vaping 12-18mg currently and have been for years.. I work at home and I'm going through about 5-7mls a day.. I'm wondering if anyone else has switched over and did it make you vape less?

Thanks!

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Nic salts would give you the exact same amount of nicotine as the freebase. Their advantage is that they give a smoother hit without as harsh of a throat hit. The question is are you vaping more because you are having nicotine cravings or because you are at home and are free to vape more? A lot of people have increased their usage once they started to work from home or were no longer were working due to the pandemic. It's just a matter of access to the vape that you didn't have at work. If this is the case, you would have to change your vaping habits in order to reduce the amount you vape. For example, no vaping while working, but allow yourself vape breaks. If it is truly nicotine cravings that has you vaping more, you would want to increase the amount of nicotine you use, and since you are in the higher ranges, you might find salts more pleasant. Now I know they say that you aren't supposed to go over 12mg/ml for DL vaping, but that is not a hard and fast rule. You use what level you need to satisfy the cravings. Given that this increase started since you've been at home, though, I think that just changing your vaping habits is all you need to do.

Actually, though, 5-7 ml isn't that bad for sub-ohm vaping. I chain vape 8ml, and go through about 15ml. If you are just concerned with the amount of nicotine you are getting in a day, rather than the number of ml per day, you would want to gradually decrease your nicotine content, rather than increase it. Slowly decrease it until the point you notice you are vaping more because of cravings then stop and go back up a step. I hope that this has been helpful to get you where you want to be.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I see no reason to switch (from what you explained) I haven't used salt nic but it seems one main advantage is to use higher nic levels in small pod devices (that produce less vapor) That's not your situation. I don't understand why you want to "vape less"... are you concerned about the VG and PG? Am I missing something?
    Just curious (because "sub-ohm" vaping has become a sort of meaningless term) What tank/coil are you using and at how many watts?

Reactions: SonnyCrack

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    When did sub-ohm become a meaningless term and why?

Only on mechanical MOD's does the resistance of the coil effect the wattage and (as a after effect) the vapor output of the device.

On modern regulated MOD's (be it VOLTAGE, WATTAGE or TEMPERATURE) the cold resistance of the coil is meaningless as the regulation in the mod controls the output of it.

g.

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: YoursTruli

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Hi everyone.. I'm curious to if anyone has switched from freebase subohming to nic salts.. What my perceived benefit would be to vape less.. I'm probably in a weird case.. I'm vaping 12-18mg currently and have been for years.. I work at home and I'm going through about 5-7mls a day.. I'm wondering if anyone else has switched over and did it make you vape less?

Warning: in my opinion salts has little to no "throat hit" so I would end up vaping more at higher MG concentrations/mixes. I personally prefer freebase over salts.

Thankfully the majority of my nicotine stock is freebase and I have less than 1L of salts.

I regularly vape freebase @ 7mg (flavored), 18mg (flavored and unflavored) and salts 50mg (unflavored).

All on temperature regulated (380-440F) single coil (subohm) RTA's.

g.

Reactions: SonnyCrack

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Only on mechanical MOD's does the resistance of the coil effect the wattage and (as a after effect) the vapor output of the device.

On modern regulated MOD's (be it VOLTAGE, WATTAGE or TEMPERATURE) the cold resistance of the coil is meaningless as the regulation in the mod controls the output of it.

g.

That's not completely true. I understand the affect of resistance has on wattage on a mech mod. However, even on a regulated mod, a change in the resistance is going to affect vapor output and battery life if wattage remains constant. I see this when I build a coil of a different resistance than I normally use. Ohm's law still applies even in a regulated mod. It's just that with the chip in it, we mere humans don't have to think about it.

• Agree
    Reactions: YoursTruli

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    That's not completely true. I understand the affect of resistance has on wattage on a mech mod. However, even on a regulated mod, a change in the resistance is going to affect vapor output and battery life if wattage remains constant. I see this when I build a coil of a different resistance than I normally use. Ohm's law still applies even in a regulated mod. It's just that with the chip in it, we mere humans don't have to think about it.

Vapor output comes down to coil temperature and surface area, nothing to do with resistance.

Coil resistance effects battery life because single battery regulated mods work more efficiently stepping voltage down (for a subohm coil) and struggle to step the voltage up for a +1.0-3.0 ohm coil. (with the popularity of so called 'subohm vaping' is it any wonder what chip makers optimize their chips for?)

While back in the mech days one would adjust the resistance of the coil to effect the wattage used, thus effecting the coil temperature and thus effecting the vapor output. In modern times with regulated mods a user just has to adjust the power output of the mod.

How much power you use can have a dramatic effect on battery life, even on temperature regulated mods.

g.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks for the tips.. If nic salt doesn't have a strong throat hit - I don't want it. I vape mouth to lung, 50 watts on a .2 atomizer.. I can go as low as 12mg but anything under that and it's not satisfying. If I could get the same throat hit at 6mg I would.. Thanks so much for your help! This forum is the best.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you vape 12mg freebase and like the throat hit, but want to increase your nicotine strength but not increase the throat hit, because you want to see if higher nic strength will make you vape less, then try a higher milligram nic salt and see how that goes for you.

I never tired nic salt, but from what I hear it does have some throat hit, just not as much at the same strength as freebase. So if you want TH from salt you have to go high.

Maybe try 24mg nic salt if you think you can handle 24 mg. Devices like Juul go as high as 50mg.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I vape 6mg and I have used both salt and freebase at that strength and could not tell a difference between the two. But I also use coils at or around .20 ohms at or around 55 watts. When I was mixing with salts, I did an experiment and made a juice at 10mg. Only 4 mg higher than my "normal". But at .22 ohms and 60+watts, it was a bit harsh. Def feel the nic sting. But really, whatever you want to vape, by all means do so. Theres really no hard fast rules other than don't over do it. And your body will surely let you know when you do. Vaping is hardly rocket science though there is some math involved if you really want to get technical and enjoy math. Totally unnecessary with regulated mods generally though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread